cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging System

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Friends .... Have an older 2000 Ford Coachman Catalina - 5.4 Triton Engine. Last year 2018 winterized it and began contemplating a Spring trip this year 2019. There is approx 90,000 miles on unit.

Started it up today and the Charging System light came on an stayed on? Would there be someone that can give this SC an idea or thoughts of what or where to look first? Would a code reader help to isolate the problem?

All suggestions & assistance would very much be appreciated. Thank you very much for taking the time to help. Best wishes to all for this New Year! PM USAF 62-66
20 REPLIES 20

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
update posted here by OP
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
kioticoachman wrote:
After reading your posting .... This SC owes you and the others an update & to further clarify what happens. Initially when I go to turn/start & engage the key all indicator lights are on. After starting, the charging light stays on and does not go out. Hope this may help? Very much apologize for not clarify this initially.

If I can get out today I'll check this out further as you stated and see what we got? Thanks for the note, observations & suggestions.

Okay - I missed the charging light part. It's almost surely the alternator itself then. Even if the isolator were bad, the charging light still functions as designed (tells you when the alternator is not charging). A DVOM at the hot lug on the alternator while the engine is running (assuming you can get to it) will tell you immediately. Should be 13.6+ volts.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
kioticoachman wrote:
Dear Friends .... Have an older 2000 Ford Coachman Catalina - 5.4 Triton Engine. Last year 2018 winterized it and began contemplating a Spring trip this year 2019.

Started it up today and the Charging System light came on an stayed on?

If you read the OP's posts carefully it seems he is NOT confused at all, he seems to clearly say that the CHASSIS started just fine, TWICE, but that the battery warning light came on after it started on it's own.

This would indicate that the CHASSIS battery is just fine, but that the COACH battery(s) are dead.

Once the relay or BIRD kicks in after start-up the dead coach battery connects and sets off the charge warning light because it can't tell what battery is low, just that the system is low.

Disconnect the coach battery or the charge relay and start the engine, I'll bet the light doesn't come on.

Even with everything off there are usually still a few small parasite draws on the battery.

After reading your posting .... This SC owes you and the others an update & to further clarify what happens. Initially when I go to turn/start & engage the key all indicator lights are on. After starting, the charging light stays on and does not go out. Hope this may help? Very much apologize for not clarify this initially.

If I can get out today I'll check this out further as you stated and see what we got? Thanks for the note, observations & suggestions.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
kioticoachman wrote:
Dear Friends .... Have an older 2000 Ford Coachman Catalina - 5.4 Triton Engine. Last year 2018 winterized it and began contemplating a Spring trip this year 2019.

Started it up today and the Charging System light came on an stayed on?

If you read the OP's posts carefully it seems he is NOT confused at all, he seems to clearly say that the CHASSIS started just fine, TWICE, but that the battery warning light came on after it started on it's own.

This would indicate that the CHASSIS battery is just fine, but that the COACH battery(s) are dead.

Once the relay or BIRD kicks in after start-up the dead coach battery connects and sets off the charge warning light because it can't tell what battery is low, just that the system is low.

Disconnect the coach battery or the charge relay and start the engine, I'll bet the light doesn't come on.

Even with everything off there are usually still a few small parasite draws on the battery.

Ray_A
Explorer
Explorer
Check the alternator voltage on both sides of the isolator, one leg charges the chassis battery and the second leg charges the coach battery. If no voltage is coming to the center post of the isolator the alternator is bad.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Ray A wrote:
Have you checked the battery isolator that is between your chassis battery and your alternator to see if it is allowing voltage thru to charge your chassis battery.

^ This

If the isolator is bad the alternator current won't get to the chassis battery. Where are you checking the alternator voltage? You need to check it at the alternator itself rather than something downstream of the isolator.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Ray_A
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the battery isolator that is between your chassis battery and your alternator to see if it is allowing voltage thru to charge your chassis battery.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
kioticoachman wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The battery light means that the alternator is putting out less voltage than the battery, so the battery is DISCHARGING ! No need to check the belt, it is on a tensioner. Check the connections at the battery and the alternor to see if they are clean and tight.

After that, 99% chance it is the alternator.

Maybe this may help? I have an emergency start system on the vehicle. Today I went out to start the vehicle using the emergency start system. I presume that the Coach & Chassis batteries are charged simultaneously/together when the engine is started and running?

Not sure if I got the procedure correct using the emergency start system uses the Coach battery but it was dead or would not respond. The Chassis battery turned over strong & started the engine. However the charging system light remains on.

Maybe tomorrow I will remove the Coach battery and see if it has a charge and how much of a charge. Correct me if I am mistaken but I presume that both batteries should be charging when engine is running?? Providing the alternator & charging system is working?

You are confusing the terms Coach and Chassis, making it difficult to understand what your problem is. The CHASSIS battery is the one under the hood, the one installed by FORD to start the engine. It sounds like it is DEAD.

The COACH batteries are the ones that run your 12v lighting, fantastic fan, fridge and furnace control circuits, etc in your coach.

By using the boost or emergency start switch you have proved that the COACH batteries are good. The fact that the light stays on, tells us that either the CHASSIS battery is very dead, or that the alternator is simply not working. A voltmeter will tell a knowledgeable person which it is. With the engine running you should be seeing 13.6 or better voltage on the Chassis (underhood) battery terminals. If you are not then the alternator is most likely the issue.

Charles

Yes Charles you are right and it does get confusing. The owner's guide that I got or rather found explains it exactly as you described. Coach (interior battery) CHASSIS (engine compartment battery).

Your analysis as well as some of the other comments have accurately concluded as to what is going on. Today I checked the Coach & Chassis battery voltage and found them to be 12.5v. The Chassis battery will still start up the RV but the alternator does not or is not putting out the 13.6v as recommended. About 12.6v output is about it.

Will try to keep up with a report as I proceed. It appears that the the alternator is most likely causing the issue as suggested by my Forum RV Team. Appreciate all the suggestions, assistance, insight that I have received. Thank you all very much. ๐Ÿ™‚

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
kioticoachman wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The battery light means that the alternator is putting out less voltage than the battery, so the battery is DISCHARGING ! No need to check the belt, it is on a tensioner. Check the connections at the battery and the alternor to see if they are clean and tight.

Maybe this may help? I have an emergency start system on the vehicle. Today I went out to start the vehicle using the emergency start system. I presume that the Coach & Chassis batteries are charged simultaneously/together when the engine is started and running?

Not sure if I got the procedure correct using the emergency start system uses the Coach battery but it was dead or would not respond. The Chassis battery turned over strong & started the engine. However the charging system light remains on.

Maybe tomorrow I will remove the Coach battery and see if it has a charge and how much of a charge. Correct me if I am mistaken but I presume that both batteries should be charging when engine is running?? Providing the alternator & charging system is working?

You are confusing the terms Coach and Chassis, making it difficult to understand what your problem is. The CHASSIS battery is the one under the hood, the one installed by FORD to start the engine. It sounds like it is DEAD.

The COACH batteries are the ones that run your 12v lighting, fantastic fan, fridge and furnace control circuits, etc in your coach.

By using the boost or emergency start switch you have proved that the COACH batteries are good. The fact that the light stays on, tells us that either the CHASSIS battery is very dead, or that the alternator is simply not working. A voltmeter will tell a knowledgeable person which it is. With the engine running you should be seeing 13.6 or better voltage on the Chassis (underhood) battery terminals. If you are not then the alternator is most likely the issue.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:
Auto Zone does the same "lifetime warranty" deal on some parts, if they are closer.

Yes .... thank you they are!

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
I would have the alternator checked out. Sounds like it quit working. Actually it's probably the voltage regulator in the alternator, but you have to replace the whole thing.

We had a similar issue with an '06 Mercury and installed an Autozone reman alternator. It's a few months old and getting mixed results from the Autozone tests. It has a warranty but we're going with a new (not reman) part this time.

Good suggestion .... I probably should do the same thing if it comes down to the alternator.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes the primary function of the alternator is to charge the chassis battery with about 14 volts along with running the chassis engine/accessories. Secondary would be a system to charge the house battery.

Some MH also have a system for the house charging system to charge the chassis battery.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
How did you maintain your house battery(ies) charge after winterizing? Did you โ€œcut offโ€ the house battery(ies)? You list no location but an uncharged battery will freeze. That โ€œkillsโ€ them. RIP

Yes everything I did before winterizing this vehicle over the last couple of years, that worked I'm doing now.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote: