cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Parks vs Campground????

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
The topic of RV Parks and Campground were brought up of Christmas, what is the difference or the same only the name.
My answer was, the RV Parks I have stayed at, only in the midwest, non of them have fire rings and few had picnic tables, where campgrounds and states parks had both. Our family that camps likes to have a campfire.
I'm also sure there are other differences, and my examples may not be true everywhere, but has been where I have stayed.
What are other RV'ers thoughts or opinions? Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hear what you’re saying but in Florida almost all parks except govt parks have seasonal. It’s where the steady money is. They don’t leave when it rains or not show up if it’s stormy.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I full time so I stay at a lot of CG's in my travels.

The way I weed out CG's is I ask or look on their website if they also have seasonal or permanent sites.

If they have either one of those, I don't stay at them. I have found over the years that avoiding CG's with seasonal and permanent sites, I have a had a better experience RV'ing. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The owners can call it whatever they like. My personal expectation is that a RV park is likely to be carpark sites with no growth between sites, a fair number of seasonal & longterm units which may or may not be occupied & more than basic amenities.

At a privately owned campground I expect to find sites spaced with some greenery, a picnic table, a fire ring & maybe basic amenities like a laundry & WIFI.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
With the internet access, google, and ease of using FB for CG owners, there really is no reason for RV'ers to be surprised anymore.

Even the littlest CG is listed on line with pictures, rates and what amenities their CG has.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The owner can call it a "Super Deluxe RV Park Resort Campground". It means nothing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it's just marketing (or whatever name sounds cuter). As a rule, I expect an "RV Park" to at least offer electric; and usually water hookups and a restroom/shower facility of some sort. A campground *could* be rustic with no hookups/facilities (or maybe just a vault toilet), so read the amenities list.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
What the business calls itself means nothing -

A "campground" is a place in a natural setting that is frequented by tenters and people with various RVs to spend time in that natural setting, it is most often a public (government owned) facility and in a rural area. Its main purpose is to get people spending time outdoors for overnight or longer. Often does not have hookups.

...and...it has USFS or National Park in the title :W

This is what I generally look for. Add in the occasional State Park as well.

Yep. Although one USFS campground in Red Bluff is more of an RV Park - it's an anomally.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is just my experience...the one in the same area that is labeled as an "RV park" with the exact same amenities as the one labeled as a "campground" will be at least $10 higher in price:)
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
What the business calls itself means nothing -

A "campground" is a place in a natural setting that is frequented by tenters and people with various RVs to spend time in that natural setting, it is most often a public (government owned) facility and in a rural area. Its main purpose is to get people spending time outdoors for overnight or longer. Often does not have hookups.

...and...it has USFS or National Park in the title :W

This is what I generally look for. Add in the occasional State Park as well.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
What the business calls itself means nothing - it's marketing.

But I believe that there is a difference in concept, at least here in California.

An "RV park" is a place more central to towns and cities. It is more likely to be privately owned. People stay there in order to sightsee, visit family, etc. Its main purpose is to provide people with a place to park their rig for overnight or longer stays. Most usually has full hookups.

Out here, I would question any private place identifying itself as a "campground". Odds are, it's an RV Park with campfire type events.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Calling some campgrounds an RV Resort can be quite a stretch. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
If I can pee outside, it's a campground.

If I can't, it's an RV park.

And sometimes, when it gets dark and I've been drinking, RV parks by day can turn into campgrounds by night.

😉

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I never count on the name - I read the reviews and look for what I want for that trip. We have been to 'rv parks' with almost no amenities and campgrounds with water parks - the name has no consistent meaning.