Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: disney world
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> disney world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With your kids being as young as they are, I would plan for a mid afternoon trip back to the hotel to let them rest and decompress. I know you pay a lot for the Disney experience, but kids younger than about 8-9 can't last the full day without melting down. Many parents with young kids find out that at about 8 at night after a full day, Disney is not the "Happiest place on Earth". That is the benefit to staying on property. It is relatively easy and quick to do. An hour or so nap in the middle of the day will do wonders for your enjoyment of the evening. Plus, you will miss the heat of the day (yes, it will be winter, but daytime temps can still be in the 80's).

The biggest issue most people have is trying to do everything in a day. Pick those absolute must do's and be sure to get to them and then fill in the other stuff as you have time. Try to avoid walking back and forth across the parks, you will waste a lot of time that way. Sometimes is can't be helped, but some planning with the map in hand can go a long way.

Also, if you need anything at all, ask a cast member. You may be surprised at what they can and will do for you. We took my oldest son for his birthday when he was about 8. They will give you a button to wear if it is your birthday. He had been working up his courage to ride the Haunted Mansion ride the whole time we were there. Right as the park was starting to close, he decided he would do it, but when we got to the ride, they had already closed it. The cast member we encountered at the entrance noticed his birthday button and took him and my wife through some back way to the start of the ride and they had their own personal solo ride. My son is 18 now and still remembers that.

Above all, just have fun. That is why you are there.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

We are more chasing the Disney magic (robbery) than the attractions them selves.

ROFL!! As long as you understand that, you'll have a great time :-)

trailerbikecamper

eastern Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we go, we usually spend a day at the parks, then a day relaxing at the resort. This gives the kids a chance decompress and relax.

While down in Orlando, check out Discovery Cove. It's literally a day at the beach. You also get a free pass to Sea World.

Dan

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How will a 3 and 5 year old tolerate standing in line for two hours? In my opinion they are to young at this time, and it is way to expensive of a place to go for a couple of rides/shows and call it a day. My advice, wait until the youngest is about 9. But it's not my money. Your money Your choice.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How will a 3 and 5 year old tolerate standing in line for two hours? In my opinion they are to young at this time, and it is way to expensive of a place to go for a couple of rides/shows and call it a day. My advice, wait until the youngest is about 9. But it's not my money. Your money Your choice.

I have to agree with the above statement, including "your money your choice" but personally I would wait until the youngest is maybe 5 or 6. I've been to Disney four times and each visit had more than it's fair share of kids under that age in constant meltdown mode because it's too overwhelming. We took my son at the age of 6, 10 & 18 (18 being the most fun!) but the difference between 6 & 10 was amazing. Stamina, patience and ability to go on rides was increased by a huge amount. He doesn't remember going at 6 but 10 and of course 18 are still bright in his mind.

Thoughts: Get two books-one that pumps you up to go and one as I previously suggested that gives you all the pratfalls and negatives. Using the touring plans may be helpful if you do go during peak season. Go in off-peak times such as May, September or October. Weather is usually great plus crowds are smaller. No matter when you go be prepared to have plans A, B, C, and D just in case. With kids that young I would definitely pay the extra money for the park hopper pass. It's well worth not worrying if you get into Magic Kingdom for 15 minutes and someone gets overwhelmed, sick or the weather is bad and you have to leave that you will lose a day's pass.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback guys. We will ago again when they are a older. As for now we are trying to get a trip in before our window closes again. I suspect we will do just fine. We are very flexible and I am not expecting my kids to be perfect.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

DavidandDayle

Guelph, Ont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a website called All Ears which is produced by Disney fans but is honest about shortcomings. They have all sorts of tables including sorting out the ticket combinations.
Tickets start at one park per day and work up. They aren't for a specific park -- you can go to Magic Kingdom 5 days in a row.
Don't try to do everything in a day.
Don't buy new shoes for the trip.

Fort Wilderness is our choice to stay -- on the 1-10 scale it's a 12-12-12.
Unless you're flying down.

David and Dayle

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/19 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good website ill explore further. Thanks. We are definitely flying down. 4 days drive with 2 kids and the gas and the extra vacation time means I don't save anything and the age and condition of my camper means no go from the boss

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> disney world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS