Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: disney world
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> disney world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all. The Disney fund has been started. Plan is to take my family of 4 (f5 and m3 at the time) next winter (early 2020). Looking to stay in the budget properties on site with the mid package meal plan (the one that gets you 1 table service and 1 quick service plus snacks) There is so much to learn. I've been myself but never as a dad. help.

any tips on the budget resorts. not sure what one to pick or if we should up the budget and go to a mid level

any tips on what to prioritize for the kids

any general tips?

planning a dedicated day to fly down and fly back as well as a day at each park (just the parks likely not the water parks)

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get The Unofficial Guide to Disney. That will give you all the pitfalls and help you plan. Keep in mind that the winter months are some of the busiest. Without a good plan you will spend hours in line.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a great time to take the kids. The first time we took our's they were 5 and 3. They enjoyed every minute of it. They are in awe of everything at that age, but remember it can be overwhelming for them.

My advise, keep your plans very flexible. At that age, we never once made it the entire day in a theme park. We did what we could and then called it a day. We stayed at Fort Wilderness Campground and there is so much to see and do at the campground that leaving the parks early actually worked out nicely.

The kids will probably love the budget resorts, you and the spouse probably will not. The room itself is like a cheap motel, but the resort as a whole will keep the kids entertained.

Just remember that the vacation is about them. I hate seeing people dragging their screaming kids through Disney. Yes, you just spent over $100/person and you've only been in the park 2 hours. Let the kids rest and rejuvenate.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went in mid January a few years back. Few kids. Could get off a ride and get right back on for another ride. Had our RV in Fort Wilderness. Buses came by frequently to take you any where. One of the best vacations we ever took.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info guys. Really excited. My daughter is a Disney nut and will be in her glory. My son is a bit behind and will present more of a challenge. That said he is not fearful and very mechanical minded. I suspect he will still be having naps and the wife and I will take turns returning with him. The trip is for them. Don't intend to push them. That said I want to offer them the best the parks have to offer. I'm trying to do my research and see what I can learn to make sure I expose them to the things they are more apt to enjoy.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

I'm trying to do my research and see what I can learn to make sure I expose them to the things they are more apt to enjoy.

When we first took the kids, we did not bother with Epcot. Not much there to keep small children interested. We did Hollywood Studios. They enjoyed the shows - Pocahontas' show (not there anymore), the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. We also did the Back lot tour with them. The nice thing about Hollywood Studios at that age is there are lots of characters in the park. We are all animal lovers, so the Animal Kingdom was a big hit. They really enjoyed the Safari tour.

Don't forget Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney). It's a good way to take a day off from the parks, but still be immersed in Disney.

-Michael

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the input. last time I was there it was still downtown Disney. thinking that will be a way to take up some of the day on arrival and departure day. we are debating adding a 5th park day to get a 2nd day at magic kingdom. wonder if I should swap epcot for a 2nd ay at Hollywood studios. probably not (would like to offer each park) but definitely something to keep in mind.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I remember right,you can get a VIP (?) pass that would give the kids up close and personal time with the disney characters. It also included behind the scene tours.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Admittedly, I haven't been to Disney in a long while; but when we took our 4 girls (ages 5,6,9,11) we did the Magic Kingdom first; then Epcot. There were more hands-on things at Epcot that my older girls loved - the 2 younger ones would have been content to ride "It's A Small World" all day long....LOL!

I have been to Disney Springs - and IMO there's nothing there for children.

I know you're bound for Disney - but there are also other attractions in the area - my adult daughter felt that her girls ages 5 and 7, (and the parents got more bang for their bucks) had more fun at Sea World. They are still recovering from some bad press over the "Blackfish" movie, so have really stepped up their game to get their tourist-dollar share.

And a word of advice: do not let you kids play in any water that doesn't have chlorine in it (like a pool). Florida "freshwater" is nothing like you are surely used to....

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice. We love sea world and other more traditional parks. Luckily we have a great deal of attractions within driving distance of us. Toronto is 4 hours away, Detroit is less than half hour, ohio is only a few hours out. Doing my research I think we will be doing all 4 parks with a rest day in between to explore the hotel and let the kids recover a bit. We are very excited. Good tip on the natural water as well. Wont be an issue since the kids wont be exposed to anything like that (shame because I wont get some bass fishing in for me as much as id love to). We have a pool at home and frequent waterparks in the area so they are well accustomed to that side of things. We are more chasing the Disney magic (robbery) than the attractions them selves.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> disney world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.