cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice here is so good, need some on solar

mnih
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t resist going back to the well with another question. Picking up a new Bigfoot this week, wondering if I should have the dealer install a standard solar package or wait until I’m in Quartzsite next week. Or any solar dealers between here (Denver) and there you might recommend. Thanks in advance.
2019 F-350, XL CC LB 6.2 DRW
2019 Bigfoot 25C10.4
26 REPLIES 26

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Camp woof wrote:
Argh, I'll probably just do it, leaning heavily towards LFP because of some of those advantages you state.

And even though I do play a EE during the day, I'd probably just buy one of packaged batteries, even though don't they just buy the same Chinese 3.2V cells and wrap them in plastic with a BMS?

I need to work out how to prevent charging in freezing weather, just in case I decide for some reason to camp in really cold weather.

Thanks,
Dave

LifeBlue makes a nice battery with built in BMS and bluetooth. The make them in a variety of AH sizes, 100, 125, 150, 200, 300ah which can make install easier than cabling multiple batteries together as well as possibly fitting more battery into your battery compartment.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
Argh, I'll probably just do it, leaning heavily towards LFP because of some of those advantages you state.

And even though I do play a EE during the day, I'd probably just buy one of packaged batteries, even though don't they just buy the same Chinese 3.2V cells and wrap them in plastic with a BMS?

I need to work out how to prevent charging in freezing weather, just in case I decide for some reason to camp in really cold weather.

Thanks,
Dave

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
GULFMAN wrote:
thanks bigfootford,

The 200 watts on the roof will have its own controller.
The portable solar comes with its controller.
Presently i have two group 27 optima yellow tops.
I was thinking about adding a third under the sink.

Question how did you mount your panels?

again thanks for the reply!

I fabricated my own mounting brackets... I bedded in the 3x3 aluminum angle stock with Geocell proflex, and 4 screws per leg as you will see in the following link. The arc of the Bigfoot roof can be problematic. I wanted to be able to raise my panels if needed.. Haw, never needed to.

Check the link I posted on the previous page or click here:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24783458/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Camp woof wrote:
I get my Bigfoot 10.4 end of May ...

Anybody going with LiFePO4 batteries??

Dave

We made the switch a little over a year ago. LFP batteries have several big advantages:

1. They can be charged faster. With a quality solar charger you can charge at full voltage. LFP does not need absorption or float charging (tapered charging)

2. Much lighter and smaller. Our 600AH battery weighs 175 pounds and fits in the generator compartment. As a comparison, a usable 600AH of AGM would require 10 6v batteries and would weigh 650 pounds. Plus need a ton of space.

3. More life cycles. This helps with the cost comparison.

4. No need for a full charge. Unlike traditional batteries you can use LFP anywhere in there usable range. No need to top off regularly or equalization charging. This is very helpful when you are relying on solar and full charges don't happen for days or even weeks.

5. They can be discharged at high rates and have very little internal resistance. Our system can be discharged at 2C or 1200AH. Well past what our inverter can do.

There are some popular drop in replacements like Battleborn. They have a built in BMS so any charger will work although to take full advantage a programmable charger will peak efficiency.

These batteries are pricey though at close to $1,000 per 100AH. To reduce cost to something closer to AGM I did my own LFP build using 3.2v cells. That reduced cost to $550/100 AH.

We have used the system for a year including high draw items like the water heater, air conditioner, toaster oven. LFP makes quick work of these items. No more generator.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
I get my Bigfoot 10.4 end of May ...

Anybody going with LiFePO4 batteries??

For the suitcase solar, I was just going to drill through the existing battery door to run those wires. Put an extra loop of wire so door can be opened and strain relief that. Was thinking about gluing in some insulation on that door if I go Lithium option for cold weather.

Amazing that 2 170W panels fit on the roof, again nice to know. Seems like the 10.4 roof has a lot going on with vents, sunroofs, etc.

I was wondering what the solar pre-wire meant, didn't want to bother the dealer more than I have to so thanks for that info!!
Dave

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
thanks bigfootford,

The 200 watts on the roof will have its own controller.
The portable solar comes with its controller.
Presently i have two group 27 optima yellow tops.
I was thinking about adding a third under the sink.

Question how did you mount your panels?

again thanks for the reply!

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
GULFMAN wrote:
Hello bigfooters,
I have a 2005 9-6 and would like to install solar within the next couple months. I was thing of 2 100 watt panels on top along with 230 watts of suit case solar.
But my question is were are you bigfoot owners putting your charge controller and other stuff. I do not plan on installing a ac converter box just would like to keep it simple while just keeping the batteries charged.

thanks

Wow that is a bunch of solar...

I put my solar controller in the cabinet under the sink where the housing is for the battery.

If you are going to have that much solar you will need a higher capacity controller than mine if you run all the solar panels together.

I have a Morningstar sunsaver mppt 20 amp. My 200watts will push 14 amps on a really good day. My panels run at 23volts not 17 so I need MPPT.

I ran the wires from the panels over to the fridge vent, down inside the rear of the fridge compartment... I installed a buss bar + - and a cut out switch in there. Then I ran wires from there through the rear of the cabinets to the sink area.

Your BF layout might be different than mine, although mine is a 2000 9.6 2500 series.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Hello bigfooters,
I have a 2005 9-6 and would like to install solar within the next couple months. I was thing of 2 100 watt panels on top along with 230 watts of suit case solar.
But my question is were are you bigfoot owners putting your charge controller and other stuff. I do not plan on installing a ac converter box just would like to keep it simple while just keeping the batteries charged.

thanks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

May I ask the cost for the panels? And the installed price?

mnih wrote:
Thanks everyone, excellent advice, as I’ve come to expect. Dealer gave me a good price on 2x170 watt panels and I had them go ahead. They used all the Bigfoot prep stuff so there were no new holes and the work appears to be very well done. When I get to Quartzsite tomorrow I’ll start shopping for an inverter and a couple of other things, better prepared than I would have been without your help.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mnih
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, excellent advice, as I’ve come to expect. Dealer gave me a good price on 2x170 watt panels and I had them go ahead. They used all the Bigfoot prep stuff so there were no new holes and the work appears to be very well done. When I get to Quartzsite tomorrow I’ll start shopping for an inverter and a couple of other things, better prepared than I would have been without your help.
2019 F-350, XL CC LB 6.2 DRW
2019 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
If your camper came "solar ready" from Bigfoot, then its pretty simple. Wires already up thru fridge vent and coiled under cap. 2 separate wires, red and black and marked + & - Other end coiled in cupboard in appropriate area for controller and marked + & - lots of extra wire to cut at controller and then run to battery...only thing I had to do was drill hole thru side of battery box in compartment to run wires to battery.....used grommet and caulk there.
I have used Starlite Solar in Yuma to buy supplies other than panels... they use good connectors heat shrink ready with glue in them...also very knowledgeable in sizing fuses and wire runs etc for inverter install....they also have a shop and do installations.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
For your BF you will find that long narrow panels are the best...

100 watt panels x 2....

I wanted to be able to walk around on my roof to do maintenance etc. I cut card board to the sizes that were advertised and settled on these... 27x58"

Some features of my install from this thread:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24783458/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm
Jim

mk10108
Explorer
Explorer
You can do it. Google Handy Bob solar. He has a special place in hell for installers in Quartz

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a kit from AM Solar back in 2009 and installed it myself. Is was pretty easy with some basic tools and basic wiring knowledge. I did not drill into my roof, instead I used their stainless steel Rocker Foot mounts and the 3M VHB tape the came with the kit. They also recommended using Dicor sealant around the base of the Rocker Foot mounts so dirt and moisture does not penetrate the 3M VHB tape. They have been in service now for over 9 years and no problems. The wire from the panels is brought into the camper via the refrigerator vent from a combiner box that came with the kit.
Happy TC'N,
David