cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those on the road, what did you have for dinner tonight

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tiny kitchen with a microwave, a stove top and a portable barbecue, and planning an extended trip around the southwest. Would just like to know what you ate tonight or last night depending when your reading this.
Thanks in advance
18 REPLIES 18

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before we head out on a jaunt we prepare several cooked meats and freeze them. I like to use my smoker to prepare most anything from 1-1/2" pork chops, ribs, brisket, brats, pork butts and beef roasts. They are then sliced, proportioned and frozen seal-a meal type bags. Simply pull in for the night, pop a bag of ribs in the microwave and they taste just like they just came off the grill. Juicy, tender and good and smokey.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Today the 4th of July it is mandatory-you MUST have hotdogs and potato salad it is a law of nature.

Meatloaf and German Pot Sal if required for lunch.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
There is a small town on the way to the lake that we camp at with a nice little grocery market. I've found their deli to have rocking fried chicken and meatloaf. On our first night to the lake I've been stopping by and picking up either meat and a container of ready made mashed potatoes. Easy, no fuss first night meal.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I have flat, rectangular plastic containers with lids & I cook @home & make meal helpers for the road. Containers stack perfectly in the freezer. Meatballs, beef roast chunks with gravy, homemade soup. Dollar Stores have these containers in 3 or 4 packs. Cant recall the brand, but the lids are red. I use freezer bags too & make double at home so I have half to freeze. I keep a list so I know where I am in preparations.

Canned chicken (tuna size can) makes great fresh chicken salad with a little โ€œdoctoringโ€ up with diced celery. Youโ€™ll never be hungry if you have hard boiled eggs & cooked rice or cooked potatoes in the refrigerator - great meal starters.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
On days we travel I make sure we have a supply of leftovers. No microwave, but grandma never heard of one, and Mom did not have one until late in life.
Have a stove, and a gas grill for "emergencies" but with a bag of charcoal and time I can fix anything I'm likely to cook at home. And because of limited storage I think I use more fresh food, and most never a can.

Scallo
Explorer
Explorer
I often ordered scallops in a restaurant. And now I cook them at home according to this recipe.

https://club.cooking/recipe/baked-scallops/

It turns out nothing worse.

Glenda2014
Explorer
Explorer
Barbeque Brisket From Kent Blacks in San Marcos Texas and canned green beans....
2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Broiled chicken breasts, wild brown rice and cornbread!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Oh I really like madras lentils. They are not only filling, but taste sort of like chili.

Costco is a great place for already prepared meals. I haven't tried their pot sticker, but I will. Did try their pulled pork and it had a kind of tinny taste so will avoid that in the future. Love General Tao Chicken and haven't seen it. I do get their roasted chicken and can make at lease 3 meals will it. Unfortunately, finding a costco around where we boondock isn't easy.

I'm so glad you guys posted. We just can't cook like we are at home because like I said, we only have a tiny cooking space and storage is at a minimum.

One of the things I like about Costco is the way they break down large containers into small, meal-sized packs. We also have limited cook space inside, but you can do much on a cooktop!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wins.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last night was sea scallops and white cheddar mac & cheese with a salad. Night before was a pork tenderloin . We have a residential refer and I generally pack enough stuff in the freezer to keep us going for a month or longer.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
King crab legs, scallops (sorry did not make it into the photo), caesar salad, and french bread.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I really like madras lentils. They are not only filling, but taste sort of like chili.

Costco is a great place for already prepared meals. I haven't tried their pot sticker, but I will. Did try their pulled pork and it had a kind of tinny taste so will avoid that in the future. Love General Tao Chicken and haven't seen it. I do get their roasted chicken and can make at lease 3 meals will it. Unfortunately, finding a costco around where we boondock isn't easy.

I'm so glad you guys posted. We just can't cook like we are at home because like I said, we only have a tiny cooking space and storage is at a minimum.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Boneless skinless chicken thighs, tons of seasonings, onions, small new potatoes all placed in a metal pan on the cook stove or propane BBQ outside.

Once a week I also set up a big pot to make chicken soup, stew or chili. That I then put in containers and freeze. Makes a great quick hot meal while stopped at a rest area while on the road traveling, just pop it in the micro. Also works great for those late pull in's to a CG to have a hot meal with no fuss.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.