cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare tire cover with a drawstring?

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the spare tire covers I've found so far have an elastic hem on the back side, and they're a bear to remove/install. Does anyone make a decent quality cover that uses a drawstring? Is there some reason that the elastic hem is better?

According to the interweb, my tires are 29.3" in overall diameter, so one that fits 30" tires is the goal.
5 REPLIES 5

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Dawstrings rot, just like elastic.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

justinhscott
Explorer
Explorer
I have one from Ft. Wilderness that has a bungee sewn in instead of elastic, and a little hook and loop at the bottom to secure it. Pretty easy on/off.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Had many over the years on different RV's, only one we've owned has had an excellent fit.

But the last two tire covers on other RV's...

I put in grommets (1/2 inch I think) and used "bungee rope" to get good fit. Think I got supplies at big box store under $20.00 And used a bit of old inter-tube for reinforcing material that cover was made of; about a 4x4 square

https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Cord-inch-Polyester-Commercial/dp/B078NB6WBQ/ref=asc_df_B078NB6WBQ/?tag...

https://www.amazon.com/Harbor-Tools-30037-Grommet-Installation/dp/B001TY8JH2/ref=asc_df_B001TY8JH2/?...
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Probably cheaper to make with elastic hems.
I don't know much about them as I don't use them. The one time I did it was nothing but a bugs/critters and dirt trap.
If you're not fussy about appearance, and just want to hide/protect the tire from the elements, you could try a big green trash bag with a drawstring.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)