cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lippert and Parts Availability Killng Joy of Motorhoming

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q bought new in 2015. since purchase we've had 20 something repairs (find my earlier post about thus in the archives). just discovered two bad hydraulic lines and a bad jack. checking parts with good ole Lippert revealed parts could be shipped to shop....in 4-6 MONTHS! fortunately the shop has an alternate source and got the needed parts in 24-hrs. i'm certain my experience is not the only one but the joy of motorhoming is disappearing fast.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh My story
Main slide motor failed
Lippert told first Tech 2 weeks plus to ship but since he was getting it through a discount broker 750 dollars

Well he had a fight with his wife so nobody knows where he is (I am still in contact with her) and I had to get a 2nd tech to do the job

1000 plus 600 Labor and tax (OUCH) woudl have been under 1K with the 1st guy) Amazing I had the money

Still had a problem setting up but.... Turns out it was a mistake I made. Has been fixed (No additional cost.. Forgot something when I re-engaged gears).

The amazing part.. I had the 1600.. I've been a watch the account type for a logn time and now I have a kilobuck of cushion NICE (I've been saving up to buy sonme stuff... that it turns out I'm going to get half of it FREE. Tracking the shipment as I type... I LIKE FREE. direct from the manufacturer!!! WOW).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

IMO lippert is emblamatic of what’s wrong with the RV industry today.
Lippert is very good at forgiving themselves for bad design and moving on 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:

Perhaps the most accurate post of the year.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
rk911 wrote:
thanks lippert’s shoddy workmanship we’ve had problems with:

- bed lift motor (replaced)
- mcd power shades (motor would not hold night shade in retracted position after hitting bumps on roadway. remidied the problem by lightening shade load by removing one of the metal rods in the bottom of the shade).
- two repairs each on both front slides
- broken hydraulic lines and left rear jack

those are just the ones that come to mind.

I'm not sure MCD is an LCI, I think they are AirXcel. I don't think Winnebago used MCD after 2013 either. Perhaps their current shade manufacturer is an LCI version.

I agree with you - the only problems we have had with our coach have been the LCI components - jacks, slides, bed. Unfortunately, as fast as Winnebago tried to get away from the LCI components and go back to what they used to use (PowerGear, etc), LCI has already bought those companies out so it doesn't matter anymore.

the shades in our ‘16 Suncruiser are MCD but it wasn’t the shades themselves that failed, it was the motor and that’s a Lippert product. here’s what happened.

- august of ‘15 we take delivery of our new ‘16 Suncruiser.

- 6-months later on a return home trip we notice that the night shade drops just a bit after crossing rough RR tracks, roadways, etc. not much each time just a fraction of an inch. by the time we get home the night shade is down about an inch and won’t retract any higher. no problem, i just reset the limits.

- a few months later we’re back on the road and the same thing happens and again i mreset the limits.

- 4-months pass, we’re on the road and guess what? so i reset the limits once again. only this time i call Winnebago and am told to contact Lippert. i call them and explain the problem. mr. customer relations glibly tells me that yup, they are well aware of the problem.

good, i think and ask what the fix is.

no problem, he tells me, just send us a check for ~$200 and we’ll send you a new motor.

why do i need a new motor, i ask?

cause when the coach hits a pothole or a rough patch of road the force exerted on the shade exceeds the motor’s capability to hold the shade in place. the new and improved motor corrects this, he says. and of course the warranty is expired.

shame on me for not contacting Lippert immediately. that’s on me. but i’m not about to shell out $200 if i can help it. my shop guy had an idea. there are two metal rods in the the bottom of the shade to help hold it straight in the guides as it travels up and down. we remove one of those rods which lightens the load. sure enough, on the next road trip and every trip since the shade stays put.

it wasn’t the fact that the motor was out of warranty ...that’s on me. no, it was the attitude that Lippert knew about the problem but seemingly were content to keep providing that particular model of motor. i also hold winnebago partially responsible as they must’ve known about this. there’s no way i was the first customer to report this problem.

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lippert's policie are indeed a major pain in the operating system for many of us. Myself included. and they overcharge for the parts too BIG TIME.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

- mcd power shades (motor would not hold night shade in retracted position after hitting bumps on roadway. remidied the problem by lightening shade load by removing one of the metal rods in the bottom of the shade).

I'm not sure MCD is an LCI, I think they are AirXcel. I don't think Winnebago used MCD after 2013 either. Perhaps their current shade manufacturer is an LCI version.

I agree with you - the only problems we have had with our coach have been the LCI components - jacks, slides, bed. Unfortunately, as fast as Winnebago tried to get away from the LCI components and go back to what they used to use (PowerGear, etc), LCI has already bought those companies out so it doesn't matter anymore.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I’ve run into same...4-6 weeks to get a part from Lippert. I bought the part on Amazon and shipped to dealer service dept in 2-3 days. Luckily Forest River had agreed in writing to reimburse me for the cost of the part. Not a huge fan of Forest River or Lippert based on the past year “breaking in” this new trailer.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
Slippery is the largest supplier to the rv industry. They have bought all the competition
Most of their stuff is junk
Especially slide outs

Moisheh

A slight correction.

ALL of their stuff is junk!

Slippery? That is 100% appropriate LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Well you have to look at it like an RV is a cost center and trips are an adventure never two trips the same and who knows before hand how the trip will turn out the goal is to be safe, have a good time, not get excited and roll with the punches.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Slippery is the largest supplier to the rv industry. They have bought all the competition
Most of their stuff is junk
Especially slide outs

Moisheh

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
If your in IL. Your 2 hours from plant (warehouse).My Jack pump died camping east of Chicago.
Paid online and picked up at plant. Just a FYI if your stuck.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, Lippert is a PITA and extremely proud of there parts. At least they sell to owners, some companies don't.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Tons of lippert parts on amazon and eBay