cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 F350 tow mirror - oops

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
So after years of backing down my driveway without incident, I clipped my mirror on the gate. The mirror still works but the plastic housing is cracked fairly bad. It is a power extending/ folding heated mirror and figured it was several hundred dollars to replace. Imagine my surprise when I called the dealer and was quoted just under $1600 including tax

I also checked amazon and google to see any internet options. I did find some but with questionable reviews. I am wondering if anyone here had this come up and find any reasonable options?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Had two hit and runs in the last year so those were already paid by my my insurance. I do not want another claim so soon my premiums are already enough. Thanks all for suggestions

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Many aftermarket mirrors are junk. The plastic is not as heavy, and inferior. The optics are poor, and the mirrors may have distortions in them. There are some good ones out there however.

I am a fan of OEM for many parts, and becoming more so every year.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
315RLTSinPA wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Keithk3628 wrote:
Why not just turn it in to your insurance, if your deductible is not too high let them do the shopping. That is what we pay the premiums for. And if you don't back up into everything everyday too often it shouldn't affect your record/premiums.

Keith

Guess you're not familiar with how collision auto insurance works.

If he doesn't have a "first claim forgivable" policy, yes it will negatively affect his insurance premiums and claim record and will have to wait 6 years to have his rating cleared to no claims. We also don't know what his deductible is.

Not worth it to even consider insurance. A claim is a claim regardless of $$ value. Measuring risk does not consider the value of the claim.

Not true. My insurance company doesn't count anything under $1500 as a chargeable claim. And if you do have a chargeable claim, it only stays on your record for 3 years.

Good for your insurance company. That's not the norm.

6 years In Canada to remove a claim.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

315RLTSinPA
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
Keithk3628 wrote:
Why not just turn it in to your insurance, if your deductible is not too high let them do the shopping. That is what we pay the premiums for. And if you don't back up into everything everyday too often it shouldn't affect your record/premiums.

Keith

If he doesn't have a "first claim forgivable" policy, yes it will negatively affect his insurance premiums and claim record and will have to wait 6 years to have his rating cleared to no claims. We also don't know what his deductible is.

Not worth it to even consider insurance. A claim is a claim regardless of $$ value. Measuring risk does not consider the value of the claim.

Not true. My insurance company doesn't count anything under $1500 as a chargeable claim. And if you do have a chargeable claim, it only stays on your record for 3 years.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
theczar wrote:
Thanks all for your replies.

Most of the replacements that I am seeing have fit issues outlined in the reviews and are not power folding nor Power extending and explicitly state not compatible with mirrors with air temp sensors. These would not be preferred.

Rockauto does not have

Tasca looks like a great option.

I have not had a chance to check with a salvage yard yet.

Thanks again.

I had to replace a mirror on my '05 Ram 3500, not nearly sophisticated as the mirror on your F350. First bought one from an online parts supplier that claimed they were a 'Genuine' Mopar retailer. The mirror was priced about 60% less than a mirror from the FCA Mopar online website. Ordered it, and lo and behold the mounting studs did not line up to the holes on the door frame; wasn't even close. Returned it and bought the Mopar OEM mirror for over $500 bucks, but a perfect fit and installed in 5 minutes. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.........

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Agree w spud. Part of the high cost of insurance is those who submit every little ding and scratch. In the grand scheme, I believe it affects more than just your own policy.
Besides, with some shopping, searching and a bit of hands on, even with a $500 deductible, you could buy a new mirror and install it and either have $ left over or be very little additional out of pocket.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Keithk3628 wrote:

Keith

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Online salvage yards, many will ship.

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer

Keith

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your replies.

Most of the replacements that I am seeing have fit issues outlined in the reviews and are not power folding nor Power extending and explicitly state not compatible with mirrors with air temp sensors. These would not be preferred.

Rockauto does not have

Tasca looks like a great option.

I have not had a chance to check with a salvage yard yet.

Thanks again.

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Try any major Salvage yard. Thatโ€™s how I did my Silverado

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
They look great, I did them to cover a small crack. They say to dry fit and they were so tight I had trouble removing them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122023700960
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tried Rockauto.com ?

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
They are on Amazon for less than $150. I replaced the passenger power mirror on my brides Honda Accord from Amazon. Itโ€™s not rocket science and pretty straight forward. You could also go to a body shop, non dealer, bad get it for less also.

c