cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof vent repair

Freeborn530
Explorer
Explorer
A tree limb scraped off my stove vent cover. I think I might be able to glue at back together and reattach. My questions:
1)Bigfoot foot camper, I have never been on the roof. At about 260 lbs would I damage the roof by walking on it. What precautions do I take.
2) What glue?
Any advice greatly appreciated
17 REPLIES 17

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm packing my Bigfoot for The Chili Bowl in Tulsa next week, so I looked at the stove vent. It has a few screws holding it. Appears to have butyl tape under it from the factory.
If it IS the fridge vent cover, it is easy to remove. Like HMS Beagle said, just 4 screws on top. I took mine off to make resealing easier. While I had it off I hit it with the Krylon Fusion.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree with getting new, vents are 99% of the time near the outside walls so easy enough to reach from ladder.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the fridge vent, it has two pieces: a removable cap and a more permanently installed base. The cap is basically disposable, a light encounter with some brush can break it, buy a new one. They are attached with 4 screws. If the base is also broken, it needs to be replaced. Being RV gear, these are c**p, flimsy pieces of poorly injection molded plastic. On the Bigfoots I've owned, they dealt with this by putting a screw every 2" or so around the flange. They would have used butyl sealant under the flange, then spread some horrible brittle stuff around the outside which never does any good, and I'd not replace that once you spend a few hours removing it.

I'd avoid replacing the base at all if it isn't badly broken. If it is, you'll have to do what the factory did, it would be great if you could match all the holes rather than drill 25 new ones but it will be difficult to do. I molded a new base from fiberglass for a more permanent fix when mine broke. Since it is rigid, it only took a few screws, and then only to hold it in place until the polyether sealant cured.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with don’t glue it replace it. Look at it closely no matter what vent it is and look at Amazon. Sure, Camping World might have it, but Amazon will have it. Unless your roof has structural issues, it should be fine unless Bigfoot are known for being extremely weak. You could always put a ladder up next to it to avoid putting much weight on the actual roof.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks TexasGearhead. The plumbing vents are different in that you have to seal the abs vent pipe to the roof first. Then install the new vent cover.

I've often thought about carrying a small bow saw or collapsible branch cutting saw. You know.... have the wife up on the roof cutting them things off while I back into the site.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^Yeah I'm wondering as well. I think a lot of us are assuming the fridge cover since he is asking about walking on the roof. If he is talking about the stove vent on the side, I would think he could work on that off a step ladder.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn’t really matter.
The advice about repairing/replacing a roof vent the same regardless of which appliance it’s venting.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
What I do not understand is the OP is calling it a stove vent cover which would be on the side of the camper, not on the roof like that of plumbing vent covers.

So which is it?

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot uses an Alkyd sealant, not Dicor for roof penetrations. Look for Plasticote white sealant in a quart can. Might have to go to a RV dealer, I can only find a gallon can on Amazon. Use blue painters masking tape to give you about an inch of the sealant on the roof and whatever it takes for the vent base.
I agree with others, you may be talking about the refrigerator vent. It will come off the housing. If you want to glue together I guess you could, but you should be able to buy just another vent. Krylon Fusion spray paint will pretty it up a bit after you work on it.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
2002 BF 9.6 camper...2009 BF 25 trailer....2017 BF 10.4 camper...never a concen walking about on roof of any of them....have installed solar panels, reworked roof vents, wash rigs starting on roof first...on my buddies 2002 BF we were both on his roof once tilting solar panels.....both of us over 210lbs each.....only thing I noticed is that my current BF 10.4 with the skylite placed to one side over the table seems to have a bit of flex if I walk right alongside the skylite, so I avoid that.
I should add these were all BF 2500 series .....cannot speak for the BF 1500 series
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the camper? It may be due for caulking maintenance of the roof penetrations. That should be checked/performed every season.

I walked on the Roof of our 2003 Bigfoot with no issue. I was only 200ish back then though.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
It would be much safer to do it from a ladder. When I service mine I'm always on the ladder.

I don't know if they come with the screw holes already drilled, but if they aren't you could match them up by measuring each one. Kinda tedious, but at least you won't be drilling additional holes in the camper body that way.

Always place some caulking around each screw head and screw threads if you use caulking.

Another way is to use the butyl tape like the factory and screw down evenly while is squishes out. PLastic scraper will get the excess off without scratching. If you ever have to replace it again you won't have to go crazy getting it off.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Stove vent? Usually these vent out the side. Refrigerator vent perhaps? At 240, I made the mistake of stepping on the hump on my old 'foot, causing a superficial crack in the glass. I'm careful to step over the hump now along with avoiding all the other obstacles.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With an adequate ladder most repairs and maintenance can be completed without walking on the roof. Much safer for you and the RV IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad