Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic New Dimensions turns off

SlimGage
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,
I have a Dometic New Dimensions fridge and when the outside temp drops below approximately 40 degrees, it turns itself off. When I turn it back on, the AC and AES auto lights stay on just a couple of seconds then turn off. Once the outside temp warms up above 40-ish degrees, it will turn on and stay on. Being in

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Mark
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Chris Bryant wrote:
You can also use freeze spray to test components in warm weather.

Hold a can of compressed PC canned air upside down to get the freezing you need. Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use freeze spray to test components in warm weather.
-- Chris Bryant

SlimGage
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm in Austin Tx for the foreseeable future and at this point, fortunately (or unfortunately, when it comes to troubleshooting) there are no sub-40's mornings in the forecast. I've been suspecting a capacitor or some other component on a control board going out of tolerance, but didn't think to try the hair dryer trick. In the meantime I'll poke around and locate the control board ahead of time so I'll be able to test right away when it fails again. I'll report back when I find something.
Thanks again!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK, I had to think about this especially after Chris and Biscuit responses. I know of NO control on Norcold or Dometic that will shut down the complete refer, causing lights to go OFF regardless of LOW Ambient temp. The LAT is for cold weather operation to "fool" the evap Thermister to run correctly to cool the Interior. 60 watt light bulb at the rear is to heat the cooling coils in sub 20 degree ambient temps. BUT, regardless of these add ons, the cold weather will NOT shut the refer OFF with the display controls dead. Chris mentioned the OVERHEAT sensor. That is located on the flue. I guess it is possible for it to malfunction in cold weather. But, that is easy to check. You just bypass it OR take a 12 volt reading when the refer shuts down below 40 degrees. If no 12 volts on both sides when it shuts down, that is your culprit. IF you have 12 volts to the Main control, then I would suspect the control board. When it shuts the refer down heat it with a hair dryer. IF the refer comes back ON, your control board is the problem. Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it, all indicators go off? Interior light off as well? If so I would suspect a fault overheat sensor, or simply bad connection. Check for 12 volts at the board, and every connection feeding the reefer.
Maybe I misunderstand what it is doing though.
-- Chris Bryant

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a "Low Ambient Temperature Switch" located below the top decorate panel that needs to be turned on to operate below 50 degrees. This should be in the paper work that comes with the fridge. The switch should be below the right side of the panel.
Wildmanbaker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When Ambient Air Temps are below 50*F turn on the 'LAT' Switch (Low Ambient Temp) located on upper frame below control display panel

This will turn the interior light ON causing a 'heat load' which will cause longer cycles.

IF still having issue with low temp operation place a 60W light bulb backside of fridge via lower access panel

40*F is not real cold and shouldn't affect fridge cooling process but your fridge like so many was probably NOT installed with correct clearances as outlined in Dometic Installation Manual (which MANY RV MFGs ignore)

Also unplug/replug the 6 pin connector on lower circuit board top left corner (communication harness between lower/upper circuit boards)
making sure you have good tight contacts
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31