cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash Environment Control 3D Printed fix

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2017 during our first trip out after winter, our dash air was stuck only heat. I had it checked and it turns out that there was a clamp of sorts that held a cable which opens/closes the flap to allow (or not) hot air in. Mine was broken in the heat position. There is a body shop in my town that works on pretty much anything and so I asked them to check on fixing it. They came back and said the part was $400 which I hesitatingly said to go ahead and do. It turned out that Fleetwood didn't have any in stock so I told them to just hold and we will revisit. I had them set it in the cold position for summer driving/camping.

Today, I was checking things in the RV and decided to have a look at that control. I am an avid 3d printer hobbyist and as I looked at the plastic case, I realized I could design and print something. It took me about 30 minutes to design what I wanted and about 20 minutes to 3d print the part which cost about 3 cents in plastic.

It was a success and so for a little bit of my time, maybe a total of an hour along with printing the part that cost me 3 cents in PLA plastic and 32 cents in screws, I saved about $399.65 fixing it myself!

If anybody thinks they could use this part, I can send you the STL file for you to print or for you to find someone to print....or I could print it for you as well...just PM me.

This is the unit:

This is the design I came up with:

This is the rear of that unit with my part dry fitted:

My part installed...note the crack on the original unit. Cheaply made and in my opinion not worth $400!

Installed and clamped in place with my 3D printed design:
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose
15 REPLIES 15

Explorer II
Explorer II
It is addictive. 3D printing opened a whole new world for me.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Nice work. My only regret in reading this thread is I may get hooked into another hobby. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well with a name like yours, Ductape, you are for sure gonna love it!
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work. My only regret in reading this thread is I may get hooked into another hobby. ๐Ÿ˜‰
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
3d printing is going to be useful for rv'ers.

I agree...I have another project I am working where I am going to replace the loud dash fans with super quiet PC case fans. i am designing the mounts and will report back once I get that done.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
3d printing is going to be useful for rv'ers.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
nice job !!
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I needed some switch covers for my 05 Fleetwood. Fleetwood didnt have any but I found some on EBay that were 3D printed. $3.00 each.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
WOW, I think you are beyond the hobby status ๐Ÿ™‚
We have a $6K MakerBot Z18 at work and my little $500 Prusa i3 puts it to shame.

I'd like to have a Prusa...nice machines! I have a Tronxy XS5A still in the box. I am currently printing upgrade parts for it before I assemble it.

Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW, I think you are beyond the hobby status ๐Ÿ™‚
We have a $6K MakerBot Z18 at work and my little $500 Prusa i3 puts it to shame.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Nice job!

3D printing is something that has intrigued me for a while. I should probably look into it more sometime. My current new adventure I'm working on is powder coating.

Now Powder Coating would be a cool thing to know! Wife would kill me if I picked up another hobby!

If you want some advice/guidance on 3d printing, reach out to me!

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
I am an avid 3d printer hobbyist as well. I really enjoy developing creative solutions. The T-handle on my garage door broke last week, so I replaced it with a round knob using ABS.

Here's my printer. I made the enclosure from two cheap end tables and plexi-glass. All the mounting brackets and handles were 3D printed of course

Very nice setup! I have been doing 3d printing for about 3 years, I currently own 6 printers and I do make a bit of cash on the side printing little articulated toys. My son and I also do Star Wars costuming (501st and rebel legion) and I print parts for the various costumes as well. And then there are miscellaneous things I design and create.

These are my 'published' things on a site called Thingiverse: Stugpanzer's Designs

Here are 3 of my printers:

Bruce_Brown
Nice job!

3D printing is something that has intrigued me for a while. I should probably look into it more sometime. My current new adventure I'm working on is powder coating.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Explorer II
Explorer II
I am an avid 3d printer hobbyist as well. I really enjoy developing creative solutions. The T-handle on my garage door broke last week, so I replaced it with a round knob using ABS.

Here's my printer. I made the enclosure from two cheap end tables and plexi-glass. All the mounting brackets and handles were 3D printed of course

Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Nice job!

Thank you!