cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'18 - '19 Northern Lite 8-11 Cab/Bed Clearance w/Ram 3500

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Close to purchasing a new '19 NL 8-11. Will we have any cab or bedrail clearance issues using only a 3/4" horse mat (48" x 76") in the bed of a '16 Ram 3500 CC SB SRW?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Homeless by Choice wrote:
My 2013 8-11 requires a 2" bed spacer to clear the GPS/On Star roof antenna thing. The great news is that also allows me to get my arm between the bed rails and the bottom of the camper so I can store things along side the camper.

LeRoy
Friend of mine has a 2500 Silverado. Yup, that antenna sticks up pretty high.

Noticed in your profile you have a long bed truck. Do you use it to haul your NL 8-11?

Yes, my NL8-11 is on my long bed truck. I have a combination 60 gallon fuel tank/tool box between the front of the bed and the NL. That offset puts the CG mark on the side of the camper 3" to the rear of the rear axle. The fuel tank/tool box's 1000 pounds way up front more than offsets the campers rearward CG. It rides and drives nice.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Called Northern Lite with a few questions about the 8-11:

1. Yes, the Dee Zee 3/8" thick bed mat is suitable for use with a NL TC's.

2. The 8-11 will hold two of the larger, group 27 batteries.

3. NL uses Progressive Dyanamics converters in their TC's. Good news for those of us that prefer a faster 14.4 volt bulk charge rate.

4. The 8-11's FW tank is located left to right in the front half of the camper. That's more good news. Adding water to the FW tank will move the COG farther forward, away from the rear axle.

Lastly, the rep at NL said the latest gen Ford F250/350 trucks would be his first choice for hauling a NL. Chevy second. As for Ram, he made it clear they would be his last choice---primarily due to handling issues with the Ram 2500---especially the Mega Cab.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Yep thatโ€™s one of the reasons NL now has the advantage over Bigfoot.
I have an โ€œafter the fireโ€ NL and even just on the floor with a rubber mat itโ€™s actually got more clearance over my cab than I even want.
My truck is an earlier model and the cab isnโ€™t as tall but Iโ€™m pretty sure it would clear a new one.
My camper is a different model (10-2) so this isnโ€™t the direct info you need but chances are yours is gonna fit too.
Man these are nice units!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jwally9844
Explorer
Explorer
Northern lites factory burned in February 2014 including molds for shells of campers.
When they rebuilt molds I would imagine they would upgrade them to better fit new models of trucks.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Homeless by Choice wrote:
My 2013 8-11 requires a 2" bed spacer to clear the GPS/On Star roof antenna thing. The great news is that also allows me to get my arm between the bed rails and the bottom of the camper so I can store things along side the camper.

LeRoy
Friend of mine has a 2500 Silverado. Yup, that antenna sticks up pretty high.

Noticed in your profile you have a long bed truck. Do you use it to haul your NL 8-11?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
jwally9844 wrote:
My 19 NL 9-6 fits in my 2014 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW with only a 3/8 rubber mat just fine.
Thanks, jwally9844. I'm guessing you followed the instructions in the Northern Lite owner's manual? I just read it for the first time a few minutes ago.

It recommends "use of a soft, rubber bed mat 3/8 in. max thickness". It says "thicker horse stall mats do not work as well and will cause the camper to move." If additional height is required it recommends using plywood underneath the soft, rubber 3/8 in. bed mat.

Already have a 3/8" thick Dee Zee bed mat in my truck. Guess I'll give it a try.

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 SB and a 811 NL and I used 3 sheets of this type of 3/4"3/4 " insulation board much lighter than plywood insulation in the bed of the truck plus a rubber mat that is designed to keep camper from moving.
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with that particular camper, but I own 2 older campers and when my basement models clears rails on 2017 F350, the non-basement model needs 3" of shimming.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

jwally9844
Explorer
Explorer
My 19 NL 9-6 fits in my 2014 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW with only a 3/8 rubber mat just fine.