cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally a Decision...

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been going back and forth on what to do the "big tour" with when we retire. The wife wants a small TT that's 1/2 ton towable so she feels comfy dragging it around after the tour to go to the kids and such without me. I'm a TC guy, plain and simple and am NOT willing to give up a 4 season TC. So I figured we'd get a smaller TT and tow it behind Red with the Harley in the bed....problem solved. Then I would still have the S&S for when we're done and she would have her little TT.

So a well built TT that's a true 4 season unit in a floorplan that works for both of us isn't really 1/2 ton towable, or would be at the top edge of a 1/2 tons abilities, and are expensive.....no bueno.

So we have FINALLY decided to have a Northstar 12STC built to our specs and sell Red and the S&S. Get a newer diesel 4x4 since we will retire in the PNW snow country, and pull a small toy hauler TT with the Harley in it. We like the Wolf Pup 15DF for that duty and our Ranger can tow it without much sweat as long as the Harley isn't in it. I also gives us a place for all the extra stuff for the "Tour".

Of coarse, things may change, but I think we've got a winner finally!
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
14 REPLIES 14

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
kowboy,
Don't worry, there are no final decisions until your final day. Leave room for fine tuning.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
So for another option...have you looked at Bigfoot Travel trailers?

My wife is having issues getting in and out of our 5th. Forget the cabover, she's never been in it. If we get to the point of having to change I believe I would look at a Coachhouse or Phoenix Cruiser, or the Bigfoot TT.

Ruled out TT's all together.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
So for another option...have you looked at Bigfoot Travel trailers?

My wife is having issues getting in and out of our 5th. Forget the cabover, she's never been in it. If we get to the point of having to change I believe I would look at a Coachhouse or Phoenix Cruiser, or the Bigfoot TT.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Giving up Red and the S&S. That's almost like putting your favorite old horse to pasture.
Good luck when the time comes.

It's gunna be hard for sure, I still may keep the rig and turn it into a hunting camp.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
lhenry8113 wrote:
We did something similar but a bit different. Sold the Arctic Fox and bought a small Class C-24 ft. Chev 4500 chassis with V-8 Gas engine. Bought the Class C used--2017-8500 miles--figuring most of the wrinkles would be ironed out and from the Dlr. that originally sold it. And still under Factory warranty. So far, so good-took it on a trip to McAllen, Tx.(Son-In-Law with Homeland Sec.)-ran great and really easy to drive-even Bev drove. Also, big enough and heavy duty enough to get a toad, if needed. Where ever we went we used "Uber" which worked really well because the drivers would tell us all the neat places to visit. Best to Ruthie, L

We looked at C's and decided that it was just more than we needed. We are pretty happy in a TC and just want one that's a bit larger.

Best to you guys.....were gunna have to get together before we move.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
FireGuard wrote:
What’s the “Tour” ?

The Big Tour - the trip you always wanted to make but couldn't do in the 2, 3 or 4 weeks you had for vacation while you were working. It's different for everyone. Ours was a 6000 mile 16 state tour of the southeast. We left Cape Cod in November and returned in May.

Exactly!!!! We have a list and it will probably be done in sections and over 2-4 years depending on what we find along the way.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
What’s the “Tour” ?

The Big Tour - the trip you always wanted to make but couldn't do in the 2, 3 or 4 weeks you had for vacation while you were working. It's different for everyone. Ours was a 6000 mile 16 state tour of the southeast. We left Cape Cod in November and returned in May.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
What’s the “Tour” ?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We did something similar but a bit different. Sold the Arctic Fox and bought a small Class C-24 ft. Chev 4500 chassis with V-8 Gas engine. Bought the Class C used--2017-8500 miles--figuring most of the wrinkles would be ironed out and from the Dlr. that originally sold it. And still under Factory warranty. So far, so good-took it on a trip to McAllen, Tx.(Son-In-Law with Homeland Sec.)-ran great and really easy to drive-even Bev drove. Also, big enough and heavy duty enough to get a toad, if needed. Where ever we went we used "Uber" which worked really well because the drivers would tell us all the neat places to visit. Best to Ruthie, L
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Giving up Red and the S&S. That's almost like putting your favorite old horse to pasture. The guy I bought my S&S from bought a short 5th wheel with a low center side entry to accommodate his wife's aging needs.
Good luck when the time comes.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Pictures or it didn’t happen. ;). Have fun.

I said "when" we retire and unfortunately that ain't now. :C
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Truck Camper’s review was mostly positive. Pictures show a very roomy non-slide camper. Good choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pictures or it didn’t happen. ;). Have fun.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan! You will have the best of both worlds. Thats What we did. Good luck and keep us updated.