cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to fix her up

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
We have our first trip of the year planned for March. The trailer is over 10 years old now, and with this Arizona heat it's time to do some repairs and upgrades.

I'm planning on replacing the flexible L.P. lines from the tank to the trailer. I currently have a Marshall L.P. valve. Seems good so I'm planning on keeping it. Any problems seen with this?

My 30lb tanks are past their expiration dates, should I get new ones or have the current ones re certified?

Time for new tires, I currently have Triangle brand tires. I see Amazon has Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tires for $75 each... thoughts?

Last one, the mattress is done, any thoughts on a good quality trailer mattress. I wonder if a queen size mattress would fit?

Those are the big ticket items, I'm also going to replace the bathroom vent fan, outdoor shower, check brakes, grease the bearings and finally check the roof.

Thanks for your input...
28 REPLIES 28

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Only problem with tank recertification is that the stickers that they use don't last long. Use some clear tape on them.

Lots of folks trade them in at convenience stores or Dollar Generals.
Easy enough to pick up newer tanks.
I doubt one of my neighbors has ever bought a new tank or had one certified.

I get my tanks the old fashioned way. Lots of trash trucks stockpile tanks they pick up off the side of the road. A case of beer bought me 6 tanks.
Oldest was 3-4 years old.
(They had 15-20 in a pile)

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our TT mattress this year with the Amazon item B01NBI7YIX

I don't expect it to last as long as the original, but the original was so hard we had to put an expensive topper onto it. This mattress at just under $200 (at the time) was barely more money than replacing the topper.

Takes some getting used to the memory foam, but we've been sleeping well on it. I just checked and half of our 60-nights in 2018 were spent on the new mattress.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
On our first trip with the Endurances. They have run a lot cooler than the Maxxis tires they replaced. I also like running 70 on the Interstates.
My kids really like their Bed in a Box. We took their Denver rv mattress and put a 3” memory foam on it. Fine for us, but we can sleep on most anything.
If there’s nothing really wrong with the cylinders, I’d just get them recertified. Lots cheaper than new ones.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
X

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
X

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Only problem with tank recertification is that the stickers that they use don't last long. Use some clear tape on them.

The person whom inspected mine etched the inspection number on the cylinder collar using a Dremel tool with a small cutting burr. No stickers to fall off.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
big_jeff wrote:
Thanks everybody for their input..

I guess I'll go with Goodyear tires, the last thing I need is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere changing a flat..

As for everything else, appreciate the info. Hopefully the trailer will be ready by March, lots of stuff to do and no time to do it..

Wise choice on the tires.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for their input..

I guess I'll go with Goodyear tires, the last thing I need is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere changing a flat..

As for everything else, appreciate the info. Hopefully the trailer will be ready by March, lots of stuff to do and no time to do it..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’d keep and or re cert the tanks if you believe they’re in good shape still.
Tires? Pick the heaviest rated ones that fit the trailer. I’ve been buying tires from etrailer for the last few sets. About the best price I’ve found.
You said it yourself, camper and tires are baking in the AZ sun. I wouldn’t buy the most expensive tires in hopes of them lasting longer.
Sounds like a few fun winter projects!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Funny thing is that old, bias-ply Carlisle tires were fantastic. I went through a couple of set of them and they just eventually wore out. I even had a flat without it exploding. Just like a "normal" tire.
It all went down the toilet when they started making radials.

My cousin runs bias ply tires on his 26' travel trailer. Over the years, he's had two flats on the interstate. No damage done. They simply came apart. One was 14 years old. Don't know on the other one. Other cousin runs radials. One of his blew on I-4 a couple of years ago and tore out the side of his travel trailer. It was less than five years old. Even tore out the plumbing to his kitchen sink. Why do we run radials on our travel trailers? U-Haul has gone back to bias ply tires on their trailers. My boat trailer has Carlisle bias ply tires. They're good tires. I might put a set on our travel trailer when the time comes.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
big_jeff wrote:
Last one, the mattress is done, any thoughts on a good quality trailer mattress. I wonder if a queen size mattress would fit?

Measure it.

Normal (real) queen bed is 60x80
RV queen (aka Short Queen) is 60x74
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bigbird65 wrote:
Jeff, get a set of Goodyear Endurance tires from Discount Tire.

DITTO
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Funny thing is that old, bias-ply Carlisle tires were fantastic. I went through a couple of set of them and they just eventually wore out. I even had a flat without it exploding. Just like a "normal" tire.
It all went down the toilet when they started making radials.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are the luck of the draw.

I bought a used TT and put 18,000 miles on the original China bombs. I replaced them because they were 7 years old.

I have them for farm trailers use because the still have lots of tread left.

The TT makers take a of leeway with tire size and TT weight.

I have also found that road hazards do not care how much I spent or my tires.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.