cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panels

Oldpop55
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at adding portable solar panels. Have a 2019 26 ft trailer, any ideas on how many watts i would need? And reliable brands.
18 REPLIES 18

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
When figuring your wattage needs I suggest a watt meter. Theyโ€™re cheap and easy to use. It gives a quick and easy way to know what several, not all, appliances require. Figure out what energy youโ€™re currently drawing then get a larger system than you think youโ€™ll require. I used Renogy. Their install instructions were almost nonexistent but their tech dept is really good. Especially Tylor!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Oldpop55 wrote:
Looking at adding portable solar panels. Have a 2019 26 ft trailer, any ideas on how many watts i would need? And reliable brands.

Depends on how much power you use, how dead your batteries are, how much sun you typically get and how fast you want to recharge.

100 watts is a pretty common size portable setup
Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero wrote:
How many amp controller are you using? The kit that is being delivered tomorrow has a 40 amp kit. 400/12 = 33, so not much cushion there and the next biggest controller was pretty expensive.
Morningstar MPPT-60. In hindsight the 45 would have been fine. You do not need a cushion with MPPT (generally). MPPT controller will limit amps to max rating. Would be very rare to actually get 400w out of 400w panels mounted flat on the roof and have battery low enough to need that much.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero, when you finish the project, put some pix up. Very interested on that size set up.
Thanks.....

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what you decide to go with, one consideration that should enter your calculation is the security of your situation. A few years ago I was camping on BLM land along the Colorado River north of Yuma. An adjacent camper relayed stories about low life's stealing generators and solar panels in the southwest, particularly in the southern California/Arizona area. He had lost a generator that had been chained down with 3/8" hi test chain and knew of specific folks who had lost solar panels. (not third or fourth hand stories) I was using 2 135W panels on the ground so I paid particular attention. Depending on how far from neighbors you camp and where, it might be something you need to consider. I'm using 6 panels on my Bus but moved them to the roof quicker due to what are evidently not isolated instances.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running led lights, resi fridge, satellite, 40 in led television. I don't invert to heavy loads so some of my heavy amps go back in during AM coffee generator time.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Portable panels..what a great idea! Set up every morning. Take down when you leave to site see or go out to lunch. Put back out when you return. Move as the sunlight moves. Put away at dusk. Fun!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
azrving wrote:
You need enough to replace what you are using plus roughly 10%

How much was that for you? I'm about to install 400 watts on my rig to get started.

When you say get started that means you need to plan and research further so you don't box yourself in or buy components a second time.

I did pretty good with my original 520 watts of cynergy panels and four GC2. When I went to a resi fridge I added a second bogart controller and three 160 w cynergy. Both controllers work well with the bogart trimetric but if I knew that the system would be this large I would have used MPPT controller. 12 volt panels to work out good on my FW because they are on the edges and provide walking paths.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
400 watts is probably fine for most people. My 675 works fine on my 26' trailer.

Sometimes going big from the start is lower cost and better for ease of use.

A patchwork of small panels so that you eventually just barely have enough can turn solar into a multi year project that never really just works so you can mostly ignore the battery charge level.

How many amp controller are you using? The kit that is being delivered tomorrow has a 40 amp kit. 400/12 = 33, so not much cushion there and the next biggest controller was pretty expensive.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have 256 watts. It is fine for once a month trips of 4 to 5 days, or every weekend, but not nearly enough for full time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I like pianotuna's advice. I started with two 160 watt panels then added one more. I only have a 30 amp MPPT controller so it's now at it's limit. I wish I had 600 watts. Just double what you think you will need and you should be good.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I have 360 watts of panels, Zamp 30 amp controller, and it works fine for me. I am careful to try getting the best solar exposure I can, don't waste power, and enjoy what you get. I'm not in Canada, so that can make a difference too though. I only have two 6 volt batteries though, I would like to up that but my 30 foot trailer runs out of room for all the toys.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
400 watts is probably fine for most people. My 675 works fine on my 26' trailer.

Sometimes going big from the start is lower cost and better for ease of use.

A patchwork of small panels so that you eventually just barely have enough can turn solar into a multi year project that never really just works so you can mostly ignore the battery charge level.