Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing awning fabric

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
1/6/19

Awning has a small but irreparable tear...couple of questions...

1) is it possible to buy the fabric online and self-install?
2) if so, is special equipment, tools, and/or knowledge/skill necessary?
3) if i go through the dealers, what kind of cost am i looking at?
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
9 REPLIES 9

frisco_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the exact same spot last May, with the same questions you have.

I have a Carefree of Colorado awning, and decided to bite the bullet, order the fabric, and do it myself. It turned out fine.

As others have said, you will need 2 people. Took my wife and I about 2 hours (were both around 50). Had some minor hiccups but got through them (like, 1 screw being really hard to get out on the top rail, fabric "melted" onto the roller tube so we had to get scissors and cut off, etc. Nothing major though). The cost of replacement fabric was around $430. Carefree was great to work with- there were a bunch of specifications that I needed to choose from their website, which...I had no clue which values I needed to pick. I sent Carefree my current serial number, and they told me the exact options I needed to pick from their website.

The video already linked above was one I watched, but- since each awning is slightly different, had found this Carefree of Colorado awning replacement vid on the Tough Top website- probably watched this thing 10-20 times.

Carefree Of Colorado

My big concern was the torsion spring. Unwinding turned out fine. You do need to count the number of times it unwinds so that you can wind it back up the same #. The number of winds is slightly different for everyone. I think mine was wound 11 times. As I was winding it back, it was getting REALLY tough to wind around 8-9 cranks, so I think I stopped at 9 and said screw it. It's been fine with 9 winds.

Old awning:

New awning:
2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the fabric in our awning back in 2011 with help from DW. Post from back then with pictures and some text here.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
YouTube is your friend. Wife and I did ours in about 3 hours.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the fabric online for a very reasonable price. The YouTube videos make it very straightforward. You need only a few simple tools. I was lucky to have four helpers and I needed every one.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have not done an awning but I did do the bedroom slide topper. Bought it from Tough Top, I believe. Yes it was, I just googled the name. I had a significantly younger and lighter Grand Son to help and we both watched the Tough Top video on YouTube.

Easy Peasy, took longer to get the tools ready and the ladders out than it did to replace the topper. DGS washed the top of the slide while the torn topper was off and I ground the points off two 16d framing nails to hold the tube in place.

Tough Top has videos specifically for their products. I'd do the awning in a heart beat and I'm 78 years old. With the DGS help of course.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
if you do it yourself make sure you have at least another person and a couple of ladders.

good luck
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the fabric online. There are a bunch of youtube videos showing how to do it. Only thing you will need a strong helper and a couple of ladders.