cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weighing rv

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
This is a silly question I am sure, but here it goes. I know you can weigh your rig at a truck stop on their scales. I was wondering if you can use those random truck scales on the side of the highway or do they frown upon that? Also would It get me the weights i want (tongue weight, trailer weight, truck weight, and combined weight. I know (at least near me) the state police sometimes search vehicles there, which would be a pain. That is all I have near me though and I want to get the weights of my unit. Thanks
35 REPLIES 35

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I used my weights to locate where best to load my camper.
First time I had too much weight toward the rear...
There after I put things on the bed in the front of that camper.
Towed 100% better.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
frisbeekev wrote:
This is a silly question I am sure, but here it goes. I know you can weigh your rig at a truck stop on their scales. I was wondering if you can use those random truck scales on the side of the highway or do they frown upon that? Also would It get me the weights i want (tongue weight, trailer weight, truck weight, and combined weight. I know (at least near me) the state police sometimes search vehicles there, which would be a pain. That is all I have near me though and I want to get the weights of my unit. Thanks

Places like junk yards and recycling centers weight trucks and trailers. I've used a junkyard 5 miles from my house on several different trailers.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
If you have a local scrap metal recycler, they likely have a scale you drive across. Call them and ask. They might let you weigh for free, or perhaps a few dollars.

For those curious about tongue weights, it's a little pricey, but I have a Sherline scale. I bought it because I have multiple trailers that get set up and towed by various trucks at different times, so I felt it was worth the money to have it on hand.

Regarding the Sherline, I notice gently used ones are fairly common on EBay and Craigslist.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Takamine
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with mobeewan. Find a sand and gravel pit in your area and check with them about using their scales.
2016 Springdale 2600TB
2012 Ford F-150

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a local scrap metal recycler, they likely have a scale you drive across. Call them and ask. They might let you weigh for free, or perhaps a few dollars.

For those curious about tongue weights, it's a little pricey, but I have a Sherline scale. I bought it because I have multiple trailers that get set up and towed by various trucks at different times, so I felt it was worth the money to have it on hand.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
There is a local business that sells dirt, sand, gravel, stone, pavers and landscaping materials retail and commercially that have weighed my vehicles and trailers for me for free over the years. Usually I have stopped in when they were not real busy and asked if they could weigh and if they charged.

A small town near me feed mill (grain elevator) has platform scales open 24/7...no fee. I wait till after hours or on a sunday and keep up on all my cars trucks and various trailers axle weights.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
rbpru wrote:
The debated comes down to the tongue weight your hitch carries.

Without the WD the full weight of the hitch is on the ball and the rear springs compress.

With the WD hitch some of the weight is transferred from the ball reducing the rear spring compression and reducing the axel weight and increasing the front axel and trailer axle weights.

Either a person believes it or does not. It may make for an interesting discussion but it has little impact on the overall RV community.

A WD hitch does not remove load from the hitch ball. It transfers load from the rear axle to the front axle, but that load is NOT the tongue load. Tongue weight is still right there, on the hitch ball. Ad I said above tongue weight could be zero, and the WD hitch would still move load to the front axle and the TT axles.

Read the sticky. It explains it all.

yup, think of it this way. I stand on a scale and weigh 180lbs. but I don't want to go on a diet. so I push down on the counter and WOW I now only weigh 150!. NOPE NOPE NOPE I still weigh 180lbs but I have exerted 30 lbs of opposing force. WD hitch does the same. It does NOT change tongue weight one bit. It just changes how forces are applied to the axles.

Or another way to think of it. I have a wheelbarrow full of dirt. As I lift up on the wheelbarrow, the force on the rear of the wheelbarrow is transferred to me, I feel it on my feet and in my arms. but overall weights don't change, just the forces on each of the 3 points.

Maybe the confusion would be eliminated if the hitch mfg stated what it really does. It is a FORCE distributing hitch. It doesn't change weights it changes the FORCES on each axle. Some axles get force added(downward additional force) and others gets forces subtracted (upward opposing force)
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
There is a local business that sells dirt, sand, gravel, stone, pavers and landscaping materials retail and commercially that have weighed my vehicles and trailers for me for free over the years. Usually I have stopped in when they were not real busy and asked if they could weigh and if they charged.

Terry78
Explorer
Explorer
I use Oregon scales too. When closed you are free to pull up and get an idea.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
rbpru wrote:

Without the WD the full weight of the hitch is on the ball and the rear springs compress.

With the WD hitch some of the weight is transferred from the ball reducing the rear spring compression and reducing the axel weight and increasing the front axel and trailer axle weights.

Either a person believes it or does not. It may make for an interesting discussion but it has little impact on the overall RV community.

A WD hitch does not remove load from the hitch ball. It transfers load from the rear axle to the front axle, but that load is NOT the tongue load. Tongue weight is still right there, on the hitch ball. Ad I said above tongue weight could be zero, and the WD hitch would still move load to the front axle and the TT axles.

I doubt we can reach him, as he doesn't want to know the truth.... But at least we are letting others know that he is wrong, and where they can find the info that explains why.

That sticky has some very sharp engineers discussing WD.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Huntingdog makes a very valid point about tongue weight and the rating of the hitch. Just because all the axle weights are in spec doesn’t mean the hitch is not being overloaded.
Your hitch has a rating for no WD and one for with a WD.
For example, if your hitch has 1000 pound WD rating and your tongue weight is 1200 pounds, you are overloaded, regardless of what the WD does.
It’s fairly easy to determine tongue weight. I use the 4’ beam and house scale system. Then I’ll go to the Cat Scale to get the axle weights.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

That sticker on your receiver hitch tells you what it is rated for.
That has nothing to do with the axle load weights. You state that yours is 1130#.... But you really do not know what your TW is, as you only measure it with WD engaged. You cannot determine TW that way.

This means that it is very likely you are OVER the hitch rating.

You will only know, IF you weigh it properly.

Now it is your decision. You have now been lead to the water.
Drink the water and know the truth.... Or don't and not know.

Your money, your choice
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW