cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I saw this article yesterday. An all electric truck with a 35,000lb towing capacity and a 5000lb payload capacity. They are discussing quad cab and dually versions as well. Range (unloaded presumably) up to 500 miles. This is of course yet to be released and could likely end up being vaporware but the fact that there are companies designing these types of trucks now with release dates targeted for early 2020's tells me that sooner rather than later, these will be coming to the market.

I do love my 7.3 Diesel and I think Diesel will stay around for many years to come but the simple matter is that it now costs me $150 to go 400 miles. If I'm buying a new F350 Dually, Quad Cab, Diesel with all the trimmings from one of the big 3, I'm dropping between $60k to $80k and I haven't put a gallon of fuel in it. If I was on the road full time doing 1600 miles a month, I'm looking at $600 alone in fuel costs. At some point, it's going to be cheaper to finance a loan on an electric truck than it will be to put fuel in my 7.3. I suspect this will be the reality for many people over the coming decade as fuel costs continue to increase.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
139 REPLIES 139

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Enough of this...CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
Whether or not any comments are political or not, the subject of the thread topic is real. Politicians are proposing VERY RADICAL ideas that affect us as an RV'ing community. Is it feasible in 12 years? Perhaps not but as technology progresses it could be a reality over time.

I am concerned about what industries will do and how they will respond as a result of fiat decree and how we will adapt. If radical politicians have their way, RV'ing and transportation WILL have to change... are we ready for it?

LOL

I think this will be more likely scenario of future rvs
https://youtu.be/a0rBfEm0cZ0

Thats an XFEDEX electric van btw

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
The environmental problems in our future are more Biblical than political. True because centuries before the industrial revolution and before the combustion engine came into existence these problems were already predicted and written about in the good book happening on the earth. It states the oceans will roar and the earth will become polluted.

Keep the faith.....

Bedlam
What some people are experiencing are choices being forced upon them. This may come in the way of reduced vehicle choice or funding alternatives that do not benefit them. When these choices align with with your view, you will not see this as a problem.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whether or not any comments are political or not, the subject of the thread topic is real. Politicians are proposing VERY RADICAL ideas that affect us as an RV'ing community. Is it feasible in 12 years? Perhaps not but as technology progresses it could be a reality over time.

I am concerned about what industries will do and how they will respond as a result of fiat decree and how we will adapt. If radical politicians have their way, RV'ing and transportation WILL have to change... are we ready for it?

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Chainwright wrote:
BradW wrote:
I'm waiting on the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez model to be released. I hear it will have two very large headlights and run entirely off of hot air.

So are you truly a Mayor? Do you feel that you are above the "law" in our case, above the "Rules" of this Website. Is this an indication of how you operate in your town: " I don't have to follow the rules?"

The RULES here include not talking about POLITICS and Religion. Funny how a man of your "stature" missed that. For your political commentary and innuendos there's Yahoo. But here, Let's keep it "Civilized."

Funny, but I'm pretty certain that nothing in BradW's post referred to politic's or religion... just a comment about a person that has injected themselves into the news and is constantly being quoted. I ask, if he had made the same comment about Trump, would the whiners still be up in arms and bent out of shape???
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are worried about a post, did you hit the Notify Moderator link. If not ...

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I like Brad W and what he interjects. He is not a troll. He adds an aspect that I relate to.

Electric vehicles are in a sense a political topic because in my opinion will create problems greater than its benefits. Remember that just my opinion and not written in stone.

The word 'sir', unfortunately used in rude fashion......is all too common now a days. Used respectfully and in polite fashion helps others welcome what you have to say.

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
In the mean time German's are starting Electric Motorhome sales this year.
Range is short, but enough for crossing 1/2 of the country East to West.

wow, nice. You don't say.
Like I said in many previous posts: 150-200 miles in Europe is not the same as 150-200 here. There is a lot more to see over there.

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
The only thing I have not seen mentioned here is the cost of these battery packs when they need to be replaced.

Don't know about trucks, but on the normal cars, it usually depends on the warranty. Some have a lifetime warranty, some have a 7-8 yr warranty. So it depends.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:

Interesting rig. I read a different article on the same unit. Kinda cool. Perfect for Austria Germany even France. It would work for us if it had 400 km range. Most of our camping around here is within 150 km or so. But we are in BC and you can pretty much throw a rock and find a nice camping spot from anywhere. Wouldn’t work for touring though.

I like it.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I won't be going for an electric truck as I need the sound of the Cummins to make me happy. It is theraputic for me. 🙂

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
But then we are talking different technology.
It is like comparing to putting new engine into 10-years old beater.
With old technology replacing the engine will still leave you old transmission, differential, radiator, alternator and other stuff that might fail.
In electric vehicle the battery is basically the only wearable, when electric motors last forever.
So once you replace the batteries and driver seat skin, you have very reliable drive for long time.
At least in theory as life will always come with illogical surprises....

Interesting perspective. The earliest 2011 Leafs (sold in 2010 as model year 2011’s are mostly still on the road. There is a Spanish (Madrid) cab fleet with 2011 Leafs some with more than 250,000 km that are still working on the original battery. Many have lost 40 percent of their capacity as the early battery chemistry was troublesome. If one could buy one of those for say 3000 euros I’m not sure with that kind of mileage it would be worth replacing the battery at 8000 euros. But there are lots of low mileage Leafs in North American and Europe where it may be worth it. Nissan is not allowing larger capacity batteries to be put in but I believe Tesla does. Tesla has a batch of 85 KWH batteries that were troublesome. I believe one can request an upgrade and pay the difference on a warranty change. I might be wrong on the size of the battery affected.

I think most manufacturers have 8 to 10 year warranties limited by a certain amount of degradation.

One of our EV’s is in its 5 th year and the other in its 4th year. We have noticed very little degradation but then again we live in a cooler climate which is generally good for battery health.