cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critters chewing tubing/wiring

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Greyhawk and I am still having problems with some critters chewing wires propane lines. In June of 2017 I had to repair gas hose that runs underneath to my frig., and the furnace. Also upon further checking the RV dealer found that something had been chewing wires in and around the self-leveling device. Anyway to make a long story short, I just found another propane tube chewed off. So does anyone have any ideas to fix this problem? I don't know if it is rabbits, mice, or squirrels. But I have mice traps outside on the ground by the tires, I have a live trap right underneath the propane tank. I never had this problem before I bought this Class C. My thought on this is that the 5th wheels I had an enclosure that covered most of the underneath. But it is my opinion, at least with this class c I have is that you can't completely enclose the underneath because of the drive shaft. What do the owners of class A's do? Are they different? I will appreciate any and all opinions/facts to help me through this critter problem.

Thanks,
Bill
11 REPLIES 11

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who replied to my topic. I am going to explore my options from all the suggestions. Everyone has been very helpful.

Thanks,
Bill

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Honda produces a capsaicin-treated tape (part number 4019-2317) which is sold through Honda dealers and online. Wrapping repaired or existing wires in the tape effectively deter rodents from chewing on them. This tape lacks the painful odor one would expect of a capsaicin product but prolonged skin exposure will cause burning. You can imagine what happens to a rodent’s skin and sensitive nose when they attempt to chew on the tape.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mice and other small rodents can do some nibbling. The problem rodent is the pack rat when it comes to wiring. They can destroy everything. You can repel them with light, conifer boughs and a few other things. Find some traps designed for killing them. Spring rat traps are the cheapest. There is a large battery operated device that works great. Taking out one pack rat will improve the quality of your life. I had one in the engine bay of my Ford diesel.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
There is a product called "Just One Bite". Get it at your local big box store or amazon. Kills them quickly and dogs/cats won't touch it. It looks like square green cubes. Wherever I put them I find them dead not far away.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Critter Ridder stopped them from chewing wiring and vacuum hoses on a previous truck. Chewed the wiring 3 different times for about $400 each time until I sprayed with Cridder Ridder. None afterward. Bought at Home Depot.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve read that this tape works Tape
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
When we lived on an acreage we had pest problems. What seemed to work was to open the engine hood such that it exposed the otherwise covered nesting area to the out side environment. Also, you might try lighting up the area of concern.

X2 I have a trouble light on a timer and hang it under the open hood. I also have a motion sensor scare light mounted on a piece of plywood that goes under the rear of my truck. So far (10 yrs) they have left the truck alone. I still get rats, mice, and pack rats in my snap traps around the property so I know they are still here but they leave the truck alone.

BTW I put my rat traps up off the ground so the rabbits leave them alone but the rats will climb up to them.
Turret Class traveler

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
some wire insulation was made with soy oil and they chew it. sounds like you,ve got some critters who chew any thing. I use peppermint oil and cab fresh don,t have a problem keep after them , are you catching anything in the traps?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Although I’m in a slightly different situation compared to most owners, I take the unit out at least once a month year round, I get my C (and every other vehicle I own) oil sprayed every fall.

Critters don’t like the spray, it’s after-effects, or the drip line (they each have a permanent dedicated parking space) it leaves on the ground around them, indoors or out.

Beyond that, critters like rabbits don’t climb, and mice only chew stuff that turns into soft bedding.

Chewed lines, wires, etc, are squirrels or rats.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived on an acreage we had pest problems. What seemed to work was to open the engine hood such that it exposed the otherwise covered nesting area to the out side environment. Also, you might try lighting up the area of concern.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use moth balls in the voids. I use only a couple in each of the areas.
You need to check under the rig for small openings where the vermine are getting in. Seal openings with expanding foam.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker