cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought our first gasser

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like we have just purchased our 4th motorhome and our first gasser. My wife requires a wheelchair or mobility scooter. We will have a 2016 Newmar Canyon Starr 3911 by the end of the week.
I am pretty sure it will not stop as quick as the three diesel coaches we have had in the past. I cannot find out if the '16 model has disc brakes all the way around. I have never met the guy I bought it from and he tells me he 'believes' it does.
This is a well appointed coach and has lots of bells and whistles and I am hoping there is disc brakes there. Does anyone have or know if the '16 gassers had disc brakes? Our plans are to continue towing the Jeep 4 door and the issue worries me. We do have a BB with the Jeep
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
10 REPLIES 10

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Even the E series chassis has had disc brakes all around for some time now (a couple decades at least).

The brake system is a hydroboost system, so will feel and behave a little bit differently from air brakes, but if you push the pedal hard you will stop quickly enough. Needless to say a sports car can stop rather more quickly.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Answered my questions and eased my worries guys. Thanks
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it has all disc brakes, both Ford and Workhorse had all disc brakes back as far as year 2000 I think, don't worry it will brake good towing if you have the transmission on tow-haul mode..

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I like our gasser, because our small town mechanic can get it into his shop for oil change and most chassis and motor maintenance. Its a Ford truck, and most any small rural town mechanic knows them inside and out. Same thing all the farmers drive. Coach maintenance goes to Local small rural campground RV certified repair person. Good rates, great work. And haven't found anywhere it wouldn't go yet. A bit slower on mountains, but it gets there eventually. Branson was a pull, but we got there. Have made it over Black Mountain several times, and over Crossville and Crab Orchard is no sweat at all. Even got over the Bighorns going to Yellowstone.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you are most concerned about stopping, and are pulling a toad, be sure and put a brake system on the toad. Our toad is under 4000 pounds, and does not require a brake system, but I can feel it pushing me in a harder than normal stop. So I always consider this and try to leave myself extra stopping distance whenever possible. On long downhills or mountains, we sometimes detach the toad, and DW drives in front, where she can talk to me via cell phone, and advise of steep curves and/or traffic. Works for us.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They’re disc. I’d investigate Bosch ceramic pads and replace the fluid with fresh Ford OEM brake fluid.

Also inspect discs for over heating; blue, cracks, etc.

You’ll be fine.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I assume it is the F53 chassis? If it is, don't they all have discs all the way around, including power assist?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I hope it does have disk brakes but the horse is out of the barn. You bought it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2014 had four wheel discs. You'll have no problems towing the Jeep. I don't subscribe to the theory that diesels stop better, they all have brakes that meet DOT standards for the GVWR. Whatever the traction limits of your tires, that's the limit of how quickly you can stop.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
have him go out and see if it does. at this point i guess you are buying it regardless.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015