cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice is welcome

randysan
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea what I am doing but I know I want a Class A RV.
I plan to take extended cross-country trips, just myself and my dog.

My budget is max 10k and this RV seems appealing:(though i don't love the corner bedroom)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2352837668294039?surface=product_details

Can anyone please tell me what they know to be true.

thanks!!
r

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
20 REPLIES 20

randysan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes agreed. I starting looking at the Ascape ST and Travel Lite 14 as alternatives.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you start having that tight of a budget, whatever you buy is likely to require repairs. If you don't have a healthy budget for repairs, consider a different type of rv or wait until you can spend a little more. And, it also depends on how much work you can do yourself. RV labor rates tend to be higher than found in typical auto repair shops.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Did you decide on an rv?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jplante4 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
I would have an expert look really closely. Heater hose disconnected? Expect to spend money for a new heater core. Also money for new belts and hoses plus coolant flush. Then there is probably tires and brakes needed. In reality old RVs can become a money pit in a hurry. Motor homes especially so.

These older P30 chassis motor homes had an issue with the heater valve and the control cable. They just broke and whatever position the heater vale was in, that's what you got. When I got mine, there was another manual valve in the heater hose (which the buyer forgot to tell us about) that shut the heat off. Figured it out after a chilly trip in May.

My solution was to buy an electronic heater valve from Thermotion. Worked great and no mechanical cables. I had to do the same thing to the Sahara when the heater control broke.

I had my Monterey for 2 years and it cost me about $5100 for maintenance and running costs. I sold it for $1000 more than I paid for it. We bought it as an alternative to renting and it was a great decision. You do have to be handy or the shops hourly labor will kill you.

The Heater control valve and cable has nothing to do with Chevy or Ford if you had a Ford Chassis. They are ALL aftermarket controls and OEM coach builder installs. Doug

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
I’d seriously consider a smaller and simpler Ford or Chevy van nose class C. Cheaper, more maneuverable and easier to get fixed Out in the middle of nowhere

I too agree with this.
I had a "large" C for a few years and it would be fine for 2 occupants.
They can be had for less money but a decent one might still be above $10K.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I would have an expert look really closely. Heater hose disconnected? Expect to spend money for a new heater core. Also money for new belts and hoses plus coolant flush. Then there is probably tires and brakes needed. In reality old RVs can become a money pit in a hurry. Motor homes especially so.

These older P30 chassis motor homes had an issue with the heater valve and the control cable. They just broke and whatever position the heater vale was in, that's what you got. When I got mine, there was another manual valve in the heater hose (which the buyer forgot to tell us about) that shut the heat off. Figured it out after a chilly trip in May.

My solution was to buy an electronic heater valve from Thermotion. Worked great and no mechanical cables. I had to do the same thing to the Sahara when the heater control broke.

I had my Monterey for 2 years and it cost me about $5100 for maintenance and running costs. I sold it for $1000 more than I paid for it. We bought it as an alternative to renting and it was a great decision. You do have to be handy or the shops hourly labor will kill you.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1995 Cobra. Considering that it had been a beach camper it was in pretty good shape. It was on the old Chevy P30 truck chassis with the 454 engine and throttle body injection. I had it for 2 years and I put a fuel pump in it and that's about it. I would have done the brakes the year I sold it. BTW, I sold it for more than I paid for it.

It was an ok coach and would be perfect for a single. It was too small for us and the type of travel we were planning. Just make sure the brakes are working.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
randysan wrote:

Can anyone please tell me what they know to be true.

thanks!!
r

What I think to be true is you had better have a budget of at least 2 times that $10K, just for the maintenance and repairs that could be required traveling around the country 24/7/365 in a 25 year old rig.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
I’d seriously consider a smaller and simpler Ford or Chevy van nose class C. Cheaper, more maneuverable and easier to get fixed Out in the middle of nowhere

I agree with this. One person and a dog...a mid sized C would be a great option.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

randysan
Explorer
Explorer
My pup and I will give a good lookin’ at this weekend and we’ll report back ??????

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Looks like a nice little rig.

Looks can be deceiving.

In general, I think that ANY Class A that is priced at 10K or below is likely to have some kind of major problem lurking. Maybe more than one.

If it has 22.5 truck rims, and 6 tires just replacing the tires can set you back $2000 or more.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I can see why you like it especially for the price
Newer tires and all serviced
I would run the generator and make sure the air and all appliances work especially the fridge
Not much storage area
Our first rv was a corner bed. We would never do that again but I don't think your dog would complain.
good luck