cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what to tow

28feetlong
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a used 28Ft class c motorhome to used while I am retired. I am NOT a camper by any stretch. I do like to travel and my wife and I thought a motorhome would work for us. So we bit the bullet and now we are getting out feet wet. But no sooner did we get this far we have hit a snag . I am slowly learning where water tanks are and what grey water is and furnace and my tank for fridge etc.. I have been smacked in the head and I cant seem to figure it out so here I come. Its relatively simple I thought. So here goes. We had planned on towing a vehicle behind the RV to use when we get places . Good idea I thought. I don't want to buy a trailer, or use a dolly so we decided on pulling a car with all 4 wheels on the ground. Little did I know that it aint that easy. Any of you pulling a car can help me. After I read several comments about the idea I understand why you just cant put a car in neutral and go like in the old days. What kind of car can I tow on all fours instead of a trailer, dolly or rear wheels off the ground . I have arthritis and bad hands and I cant use tools well now so I can disconnect drive lines and reattach very well. So I need a car that is a hook it up and put in neutral and go car. I am open to some mechanic work but not a lot. So, after you guys finish laughing I hope somebody can help me out. I appreciate it . Sorry to be so dumb. Ill try to get better
My Name is Earl
12 REPLIES 12

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Earl, welcome. I used to tow a Chevy Sonic as those above. Great little tow car, automatic transmission. I now tow a Jeep Wrangler. Once setup to tow both do great. The Sonic weighs less, the Jeep gives me way more options on where I can go. Didnโ€™t dare take Sonic through Monument Valley as an example. Sonic has a more comfortable ride, better if you need to take extra adults for a ride, but a way lower fun factor. When looking for a tow setup take a hard look at the Ready Brute Elite setup. Easy to use.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Earl! Asking before you buy is the way to go. Too, to, two many donโ€™t ask first.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
One piece of warning: The owner's manual may not always be right.

We are at the peak of Snowbird season down here in the southwest, and I have already towed in two different 2018 Chevy SUVs that were being flat-towed within the same week. The issue is with the instructions: flat-tow by placing in neutral and turn ignition off.

You can't turn the push-button ignition off in neutral, only park. So you either run the engine in neutral all day long, or start it every couple hours and run for a while to charge the battery. Another option would be to disconnect the battery once in neutral.

Yes, GM is aware of the issue by now. I am not sure how they will handle it, whether a re-programming of the computer in cars that people desire to flat-tow, or a prohibition in the manual.

I'm sure this will be a growing issue with the proliferation of push-button ignitions.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

ronfisherman
Big Katuna wrote:

You can check EBay and Craigslist too for used. Iโ€™ve seen toads ready to tow.
Old Saturns were towable go for $2500.

Chevy Captiva Sport was the replacement for the 2008 to 2010 Saturns.
They were available from 2012 to 2015.
Towed our 2012 for 5 years with no problems. Blue OX is the only base plate that will fit the Captiva Sport.
I wanted a Jeep. But my wife cannot get in and out of them.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you can drive a stick shift, your options open up a good bit more. Most (or at any rate many) stick shift two wheel drive cars can be towed four down with minimal or no modifications.

One I would consider is a Honda Fit. The older (2013 and older) automatic Fits can also be towed four down. The newer automatics have a CVT and cannot be flat towed. In fact, my car for daily driving and commuting is a Fit, and I've been very happy with it for my needs and wants. It's not a luxury car or a Jeep, of course, but it is reasonably fun to drive and is economical to own and has a remarkably adaptable and spacious interior for a little car.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
28feetlong wrote:
l. So I need a car that is a hook it up and put in neutral and go car.

This is a big issue..

Jeep is the highest on the list.
a stick shift is there too.

BUT easy to hook up is another biggy.

The jeep with an after market bumper can have the base plates right up front, easy accessible with a simple tow bar.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
leg01 wrote:
Hello Earl,
We are pulling a 2015 Chevrolet Sonic, the owners manual or your dealership should also be able to help you with that. We also use the Blue Ox Tow Bar which is pretty easy to connect and disconnect, but also a learning curve to it.
Hope this helps some.

All of the above ๐Ÿ™‚

I ran a Brake Buddy system and ran a 12v charge wire to the battery in order not to pull the fuse.
The 5 door Sonic has nice cargo room when used in (rear seats down) hatchback mode. Under 3000# and it's 37 mpg fuel consumption makes me feel a lot better about my 7-8 mpg MH .

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
No such thing as dumb question, just dumb answers.

Motor home magazine has lists by years of towable cars.

You donโ€™t mention budget but to throw a few ideas out, all years of Honda Elements can be towed AWD, 2WD.

Jeep Wranglers can be flat towed. Auto or stick. In fact most 4WD with transfer cases can be towed.

Honda CRVs up til 2014? Can be towed. All versions.

Next thing is a baseplate. I like Demco but there are others. About $300-$400.

I install my own or pay $300-$400 labor.

Tow bar. I like Ready Brute with built in surge brakes. $1000 or so.

You can also use a plain Jane tow bar available for $150 from Smitty built that fits all Jeeps.

I use magnetic lights from Harbor Freight for $10 with coupon or you can wire them permanently into the taillights.

You can check EBay and Craigslist too for used. Iโ€™ve seen toads ready to tow.
Old Saturns were towable go for $2500.

Suzuki Samurais are another popular toad.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

leg01
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Earl,
We are pulling a 2015 Chevrolet Sonic, the owners manual or your dealership should also be able to help you with that. We also use the Blue Ox Tow Bar which is pretty easy to connect and disconnect, but also a learning curve to it.
Hope this helps some.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, before you get to vehiclea you absolutely must drive the MH across a set of scales as you travel. With that info you can find the chassis GVWR and GCWR. With those three pieces of information and some basic math you can ascertain the max weight you can tow.
As for vehicles, Suzuki Sidekicks are light, cheap and fun to drive. Also oldet Honda CRVs were able to tow 4 down. There are lots of other cars that will work, but again be very careful about weights.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest vehicle I've towed is one of These.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There's more to it than this, but it's a good place to start looking for 4 down, or flat tow vehicles.
GVWR and GCWR of the towing vehicle, the actual GVW (loaded for travel), drawbar/hitch weight capacity, weight of the towed vehicle, is all stuff you'll need to know, or actually weigh at a scale someplace.

Towed options...
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)