Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Surveillance Camera Setups on your RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surveillance Camera Setups on your RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Hmm. It seems like the consensus is that the camera is mostly a value as a deterrent. I bet you can buy dummy cameras much cheaper that you can install on both sides of the RV and sleep easier. Just saying.

That has not been the case in our neighborhood. I have been in charge of our neighborhood pool for the past 10 years. When I took over, I had security cameras installed since our neighborhood pool was located between 2 densely wooded lots and an easy target. Not long after the pool opened for the season that first year, we had a couple hop the fence around 3 am. The man quickly strips down and goes into the pool. The woman appears to be concerned about the cameras. She repeatedly points to the one directly in front of her and looks back and forward between it and the man in the pool. She finally relents, strips down and jumps in the pool. We did share the video footage with police after reporting the break-in.

We have had several occasions where folks look directly at the camera before jumping the fence. At night, it is very obvious they are functioning cameras. The lens is ringed by red glowing infrared lights.

The pool cameras (8 of them) continually record onto a 3 TB drive. We get about 18 days of storage on the 3 TB drive. I have been asked by local police for copy of the footage of the camera facing the street. The last time, they wanted to use it to determine whether or not their suspect did indeed drive into or out of the neighborhood.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't want them, don't need them. And, so what if someone took a swim in a pool. That is just horrible ! So much of the new tech stuff is being hacked, how long are they really going to be beneficial to you? Pedophiles talking thru home systems to the children - no thank you.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Don't want them, don't need them. And, so what if someone took a swim in a pool. That is just horrible ! So much of the new tech stuff is being hacked, how long are they really going to be beneficial to you? Pedophiles talking thru home systems to the children - no thank you.

I will be kind. Hope you have enjoyed the previous holidays, and wish you a Happy New Year. Lots to be thankful for! [emoticon]

Jerry

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After re reading this thread a bit more thoroughly. I do like the OP's installation job.
I can see the cameras being beneficial when the RV is in storage especially if stored off site. I can also see a benefit if the unit is stored in an isolated area.
I don't see the need for cameras when the unit is occupied. Especially if it's in a typical RV park vs. a boondocking scenario.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive actually been doing the opposite. Cameras are on when im using the trailer. But turned off while im gone. Reason is there are cameras at the house watching the yard and trailer. Plus i usually take my portable wifi unit with me when gone.

If i stored the trailer at a storage yard i would keep them on 24/7 and ask to use the wifi at the storage yard. If thats not available then you need to keep a portable wifi unit in the trailer.

It would be more for looking back at footage. For example if your propane tanks go missing. That happened to my trailer when the previous owner kept it stored at a yard.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just not that concerned about my stuff while camping. I'm there to relax and leave the rat race behind.
Camera,surveillance, who's lurking is just not the mindset I have while camping.
If someone wants a lp tank that bad so be it.
I'm not going to go into "lookout mode" or stop relaxing just t to protect some stuff.
I can't go camping to get away from it all if I bring it all with me.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I don't see the need for cameras when the unit is occupied. Especially if it's in a typical RV park vs. a boondocking scenario.

Well I think that a "RV Park" would be the place I would use them. People about at all hours. If anything were to happen at least there would be a record, and I would know who talk to about it.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Came to give another opinion on Ring. The floodlight cam i put on the trailer has been on the house. Like i mentioned before no matter what i try it stopped sending alerts to my phone after a couple months.

I guess it came with a free 1 year trial. Now they want $3 a month. Which is pennies, but its still something. We keep liking the Wyze cams more and more. I think that darn flood light was around $200. Plus $30 a year to save videos.

We are debating whether to pay the $30 to make the Ring flood light work again or just replace with a wyze cam. The flood light feature still works. Although it seems to have lost its sensitivity and quickness to light. I used to walk up to the house and it lit when i was 30 feet away. Now i can walk right up to the garage and have to wait. Sometimes i want the light to see stuff and literally stand there waving my hand for it to trigger on.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocamprs wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Well I think that a "RV Park" would be the place I would use them. People about at all hours. If anything were to happen at least there would be a record, and I would know who talk to about it.

Not sure where your camping that people are about at all hours?!
I haven't seen that all hours issue.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Came to give another opinion on Ring. The floodlight cam i put on the trailer has been on the house. Like i mentioned before no matter what i try it stopped sending alerts to my phone after a couple months.

I guess it came with a free 1 year trial. Now they want $3 a month. Which is pennies, but its still something. We keep liking the Wyze cams more and more. I think that darn flood light was around $200. Plus $30 a year to save videos.

We are debating whether to pay the $30 to make the Ring flood light work again or just replace with a wyze cam. The flood light feature still works. Although it seems to have lost its sensitivity and quickness to light. I used to walk up to the house and it lit when i was 30 feet away. Now i can walk right up to the garage and have to wait. Sometimes i want the light to see stuff and literally stand there waving my hand for it to trigger on.

Yes, there is a $3 per month, or $30 per year charge for the full service, including long term record keeping with time/date. I pay $30 a year per camera, no different than paying for any service.

You can adjust what you want your camera to see, and at what distance to see, or what distance to turn the light on. Takes a person with a bit of tech savvy, such as wife/kids.

I wouldn't bother with camera on an occupied RV. I have a guard dog inside, and 9mm if needed.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surveillance Camera Setups on your RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.