cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire wear, bent axle, replace or trade

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
On our summer trip we returned with tires wearing out on the inside edges. The axle on the unloaded trailer were flat across. The dealer bent the axle so it bowed upward when empty. He said if that didn’t work I would need new axles and should go stronger (currently 3500 lb ea. On dual axle and tt is 6000 lb gvwr, see RV in sig). We just returned from a 300mile trip with inside tire wear on new spare. So issue remains. Which begs the question: 5 year old RV. Do I replace the axles or trade for a new RV? Has anyone had axle issues before? Cost to replace two axles and all 5 tires?
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow
38 REPLIES 38

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
Axle replacement is a simple DIY task - using simple auto mechanic tools.

Like all my trailers (RV, utility, Boat, snowmobile, canoe/kayak, etc.), I simply buy new axles (do +2 up size) and up size their leaf spring packs as well. Dry fit, then get your local welder guy to weld on new leaf spring saddles. Lots of online info on how to measure "hub face to hub face" and how to install new / better brake wiring - from factory linear design to much better STAR design. Stuff like this is easy DIY.....

Note: For 2 of my factory bought trailers, I got their axles 1" longer (that's 1/2" longer on each side) as well. Thus, much better fix - compared to factory design. Your trailer may need slightly longer axle (for better position of its wheel inside its fender cavity) as well.....

westend
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Take it to a compentent commercial trailer shop and let them do a proper alignment.

X2
They may discover the axles are bent or that the installation was incorrect. A new axle is not that expensive, ask the trailer shop guys.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
Lets face it. American made trailers today are on par with Chinese quality.The axles they use barely meet specs and the build quality has an expiration date of only a few years.. Cant always blame the Chinese as American made products in many cases these days are in the same category.RV is one !

Sadly, the RV makers are building what they know will sell. Many folks only do a few days of camping per year, and they want the cheapest RV they can buy, for the most part.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Lets face it. American made trailers today are on par with Chinese quality.The axles they use barely meet specs and the build quality has an expiration date of only a few years.. Cant always blame the Chinese as American made products in many cases these days are in the same category.RV is one !

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bob2194 wrote:

How did the brakes hold up for you.? For me they seemed ok but did not put that many miles on them maybe 2500

I travel roughly 10,000 miles per year. The brake lining isn't the problem, they last longer than the ridiculous brake magnets. More precisely, the magnets eat into the armature face requiring the drums to be faced or replaced all too often. If I get a new trailer, disk brakes will be installed, I've had enough of the junk.

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the brakes and bearing sets from etrailer. The garbage Chinese bearings failed, so I had to do it over again with quality Timken bearings.

That sucks! I traded that trailer 2 years later, with no problems. How did the brakes hold up for you.? For me they seemed ok but did not put that many miles on them maybe 2500
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
When I bought our camper, I made sure the axles would be more than adequate.
3500 pound axles, 3880 pounds on the factory sticker, 6000 pounds gross, over 2000 pounds cargo capacity
Fully loaded, we’re around 5000 pounds.
I’m really surprised how many people do not do their homework before spending a fair amount of money. Well, maybe not.
Axles are so easy and cheap to upgrade, that it is not an overriding concern for me.
Other factors that are harder to change take priority.... Obviously if there is more than one TT that are equal except for axles, then the better axled one would win... That is not usually the case though.

With today’s campers, I would also be concerned about overloading a frame that had a low cargo capacity.

Many still buy their frames in bulk runs
IOW the same frames for several models
You can get Avery stout frame that way
But your concern has merit
When selecting a tt......Itpays to do your homework
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
3500 pound axles, 3880 pounds on the factory sticker, 6000 pounds gross, over 2000 pounds cargo capacity
I’m really surprised how many people do not do their homework before spending a fair amount of money. Well, maybe not.
Axles are so easy and cheap to upgrade, that it is not an overriding concern for me.
Other factors that are harder to change take priority.... Obviously if there is more than one TT that are equal except for axles, then the better axled one would win... That is not usually the case though.

With today’s campers, I would also be concerned about overloading a frame that had a low cargo capacity.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
delete
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little excess capacity with my trailer. 2 3500# axles equaling 7000#. The GVWR of the trailer is 6500#, so even including the tongue, I'm still over by 500#.

GrandpaKip wrote:
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bob2194 wrote:
I also orderd new self adjustable brakes 4each and 4ea bearing set from etrailer. Total cost 250. I did it in the driveway with out any help. Super easy job.

I bought the brakes and bearing sets from etrailer. The garbage Chinese bearings failed, so I had to do it over again with quality Timken bearings.

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
I went to an axle shop showed them a picture of axle tag. They ordered a axle cost 125.00 and installed in about 2 hours. That was on a terry 33 ft trailer I also ordered new self adjustable brakes 4each and 4ea bearing set from etrailer. Total cost 250. I did it in the driveway with out any help. Super easy job.
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch