cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you..

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
...carry 4 or 5 gallons of gasoline in a Berg long run fuel tank (boat gas tank) in the basement of a TC? In a plastic tub? With an old style closable vent on the tank cap?
I haven't done it yet, but I'm tempted if it is required.
Unfortunately I have a A/C on my Bigfoot that requires 2 Honda 2000 gens to run. Why Bigfoot, why?
I don't mind giving away $10 worth of gas rather than driving home 800 miles with the gas in the basement.
Your opinions welcomed....
Yeah I worked in a refinery for 40 years....
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
38 REPLIES 38

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
You're not "STU" from Alaska are ya? LOL Stu is/was on forums from Alaska and a die hard GoDevil fan.
I know as soon as I get rid of the GoDevil I'll regret it.
I'm about 27.5MPH per GPS with my rig. All stock.

No, but he's a very close friend.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

mi_drew
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't feel safe carrying gas in cans, bring along an empty gas can and a siphon hose. Get the gas from the fuel tank of the truck if it is not diesel. There are several things on the market to transfer fuel. This is both a safe way to transport the fuel and space saving.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I always have two NATO Jerry cans on the bumper of my TC. The 20L can is for Diesel, and the 5L can is for generator gasoline. I use both cans frequently.

I also have a shallow truck-bed tool box that was given to me several years ago. I turned it into a front-hitch storage box that Iโ€™ve used to haul gear that I donโ€™t want inside the truck or camper on three trucks now. No sign of running hotter on any of them. I carried a 2.5 gallon Blitz can in it till I got the 5L Jerry can. Itโ€™s been through several revisions and upgrades, and I think Iโ€™m on revision seven or eight now. You can see a few of the changes in the picโ€™s below.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
My S&S is a basement and has wheel well access, I love it.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think Lance is unique to make door under refrigerator, that will give you access to bed sides in front of the wheels wells?
Not sure 5 gallons can would fit there, but 2.5 for sure.
Thinking about it, it is not a big job to make one on any camper.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I carry gas for my saws and generator in the wheel wells and when I use a hitch haul in the rear, I put all gas containers in garbage bags because of the dirt and dust. The wheel wells are well ventilated...

One of the downs for me to upgrade to a basement model. I would surely miss the wheel well storage.

Yeah my Bigfoot is a basement model, no access to wheel wells. I shouldn't admit it, but I just discovered the storage under the dinette. Now it's filled with Campbells soup cans, tuna fish, a cast iron skillet, and a can of Spam. I'm sure the previous owner didn't know it either. He told me everything he knew about the camper.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
You're not "STU" from Alaska are ya? LOL Stu is/was on forums from Alaska and a die hard GoDevil fan.
I know as soon as I get rid of the GoDevil I'll regret it.
I'm about 27.5MPH per GPS with my rig. All stock.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
burningman wrote:
Iโ€™m a boater and ex race boater and Iโ€™ve never seen this.
Love the thread hijack, heck before we were blabbing about gas cans lol...

Fairly popular along the Gulf Coast for getting into, and hopefully out of, very shallow and thick marshes. Most will run in 1-3 inches of water or wet mud.
I think they originated in SE Asia. GoDevil in Baton Rouge Louisiana was one of the early builders. Lots of young guys get them and then hot rod them with different exhausts, carbs, cams, etc. Most engines are Briggs & Stratton Vanguard but Kawasaki, Kohler, and Subaru are in it too.

There's quite a bunch being used in Alaska. Cheap to run, efficient, functional. Burns a lot less gas than an outboard jet unit but doesn't go as fast. And goes where jets don't. I used to slither over beaver dams and logs that the outboard jets could not. And I could grind through rocks, gravel, and silt that would plug up a jet.

I had a Go-Devil engine of one form or another from about 1993 to 2013. And I was on the mudmotor forums too.

To my knowledge, Go-Devil was the first builder and others copied them. He got the idea from his time in SE Asia.

Go-Devil
Go-Devil Alaska

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I carry gas for my saws and generator in the wheel wells and when I use a hitch haul in the rear, I put all gas containers in garbage bags because of the dirt and dust. The wheel wells are well ventilated...

One of the downs for me to upgrade to a basement model. I would surely miss the wheel well storage.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

Fairly popular along the Gulf Coast for getting into, and hopefully out of, very shallow and thick marshes. Most will run in 1-3 inches of water or wet mud.
I think they originated in SE Asia. GoDevil in Baton Rouge Louisiana was one of the early builders. Lots of young guys get them and then hot rod them with different exhausts, carbs, cams, etc. Most engines are Briggs & Stratton Vanguard but Kawasaki, Kohler, and Subaru are in it too.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
The bar gave me a lot of support when turning or going over beaver dams, logs, silt bars, etc. And it was a good brush guard too. I could also put a tarp from the top to the bow to cover people and stuff.

I put on a twist-grip motorcycle throttle which had a friction screw on it. I liked it much better than the paddle throttle for long cruises and it made high speed turns a lot easier and more fun.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.....

Hijack away....if I keep this thing I'll put a Gatortail hand throttle on it, similar to a motorcycle clutch or brake lever. I've heard others did a twist throttle but said it got more than interesting in turns. I always wear my kill switch, but most definitely with a twist throttle.
I've got mixed emotions about the whole mud motor thing. There is a bit of pressure to ban them. Federal refuges ban anything over 25hp and a prop size over 9". Trying to keep mud motors out. I understand the issue. Mud motors can be destructive if used irresponsibly. Many around here are.
Check out: mudmotortalk.com Just click on the picture when it comes up and go to the forums. Usually some interesting videos too.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
The bar gave me a lot of support when turning or going over beaver dams, logs, silt bars, etc. And it was a good brush guard too. I could also put a tarp from the top to the bow to cover people and stuff.

I put on a twist-grip motorcycle throttle which had a friction screw on it. I liked it much better than the paddle throttle for long cruises and it made high speed turns a lot easier and more fun.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.....

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Very good looking rig. I like that roll bar.
If you ever watch "Lone Star Law" you may see what the Texas Game Wardens use on the Rio Grande...a long pipe that arcs the length of the boat that they hang on to when things get radical. Looks like it would keep those low hanging limbs off as well.
My motor looks the same except it's galvanized. Similar Cajun tilt mechanism. Mine has been very dependable except the hand throttle "paddle" mount cracked my last trip..plastic.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4