cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

40' Diesel Pusher wandering on the road

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I talked to a guy who said he bought the above referenced rig new and sold it three months later because of how difficult it was to hold on the road. He said the wind blew it around severely. I'd never heard of that before. Is that true?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
23 REPLIES 23

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
So Willie, you actually knew the man? That's pretty cool. The "Howard" stabilizer itself is quite the mechanical marvel. I know that they use to be big in the trucking industry also. My Vogue had this as standard equipment and as I stated, I love it.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Not sure how popular they are nowadays, but certainly Steering stabilizers use to be recommended. I happen to have one that as far as I know, is not made any longer, "Howard Power Center Steering Stabilizer". Presumably one of the better ones ever made. Long story short, it works very well in holding you on the road with little effort. No cross wind problems, no Truck passing issues and minimal steering effort.

As I recall Blue Ox made a similar product and other manufacturers such as Steer Safe had some too.

As related previously, there are plenty of approaches available to correct such an issue...

Thanks for mentioning my ole friend Dee Howard, a true inovator. He knew quite a bit about hydraulic feedback circuits, and aerodynamics. He invented and produced a very successful thrust reverser for jet engines. He had a shop on Rhapsody St in San Antonio (not far from my place). He also had 2 large hangars at San Antonio International. He also designed a couple of stability-enhancing mods for Lear Jets.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
For the above referenced rig it could be true.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Guess that's what makes the Howard so good...it's is adustable and I often turn it completely off when driving in town. On the highway, I wouldn't be without it!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Often itโ€™s the nut behind the steering wheel that needs tightening. My โ€œnewโ€ ride had a steering stabilizer on it and I found it made driving tiring where my previous rig (same chassis) did not. It wanted to center the steering even though with a cross wind the steering needed to be off center. It also made turning the steering wheel harder so I disconnected it which got it back to what I was used to. I recently needed the steering wheel turned 45 degrees to go straight...was glad I didnโ€™t have to fight the stabilizer too. I may make a air operated slip connection so the centering can be moved from center and reconnect it.

I would not add a stabilizer unless it is adjustable.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how popular they are nowadays, but certainly Steering stabilizers use to be recommended. I happen to have one that as far as I know, is not made any longer, "Howard Power Center Steering Stabilizer". Presumably one of the better ones ever made. Long story short, it works very well in holding you on the road with little effort. No cross wind problems, no Truck passing issues and minimal steering effort.

As I recall Blue Ox made a similar product and other manufacturers such as Steer Safe had some too.

As related previously, there are plenty of approaches available to correct such an issue...
96 Vogue Prima Vista

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Don't these guys take the potential new units for a long test drive??
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Dutch, Bad ~~ Ya beat me to it.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
"40' Diesel Pusher wandering on the road" ????

Did it ever find it's way home? :B

Some who wander are not lost.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
This scenario has be played out over and over. It takes a qualified driver to simply test drive it, and tell you what you need in order to either fix the problem OR get rid of the problem.
One thing is for sure, the caster adjustment is worthless if the front end does not have sufficient weight(load) to produce caster authority.
If you take a empty shopping cart that has a front caster that wobbles like crazy,....just load up the basket and it will solve the problem.
Don't take my word for it, just try a few changes that make sense. But then, this would take someone who knows which chassis features produce good directional stability.

I like the term "caster authority". Having the experience of going from +3.5 degrees to +5.5 degrees caster even though at the same weight, I still think I know the feeling.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
In our couch you can feel the wind, but it is no horror story, very easy to compensate. what bothers us more is a rutted road.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This scenario has be played out over and over. It takes a qualified driver to simply test drive it, and tell you what you need in order to either fix the problem OR get rid of the problem.
One thing is for sure, the caster adjustment is worthless if the front end does not have sufficient weight(load) to produce caster authority.
If you take a empty shopping cart that has a front caster that wobbles like crazy,....just load up the basket and it will solve the problem.
Don't take my word for it, just try a few changes that make sense. But then, this would take someone who knows which chassis features produce good directional stability.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We just walked briefly along a beach while on a morning walk. So I didn't get to ask him all the questions listed here. It was just a brief encounter that surprised me to the point I wanted to hear from the experts. Thank you
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream