cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Explorer going back to rear wheel drive platform

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I read a article that said the 2020 Ford Explorer will be going back to a rear wheel drive platform. The turbocharged 4 will be the standard engine with the turbocharged V-6 optional.
26 REPLIES 26

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's the Ford Explorer ST with 400HP.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
I think Ford is wise in offering for the 2020 Explore a Hybrid model. A hybrid IC/ EV is a good compromise, IMO.

Explorer Hybrid has 318 hp...long range

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
I like it, looks like the previous Explorer and to my eye, that's good. Always thought the Explorer was the nicest looking mid size SUV. I do like the fact that it's going to be rear wheel drive. I prefer RWD to FWD.

But I have one question. As both Ford and GM are going gung ho on replacing their internal combustion engines within the next 10 years..is this the swan song for the IC Explorer ?

Ford certainly plans to test the waters but until someone puts in a charging network like or better than Tesla's I don't see it going very far. And I haven't seen anyone volunteer to put in that network other than Tesla. Ford may have to stick with hybrids or PHEVs like the Lincoln Aviator coming out soon.
I watched Motor Trend Sunday and they showed a map of the alternative fuels corridors in the US, not only EV but LPG and CNG. I-135 was the only one in Kansas. I don't see how it could be profitable or feasible for remote areas.

Opinion on my part but I would think the niche for EV'S would be for commuter cars that had established routes. Large cities could cut down on emission as well.

I have been know to drive 900 miles in one day and don't see a EV being practical for myself, especially if you add the additional load of a RV.

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
I like it, looks like the previous Explorer and to my eye, that's good. Always thought the Explorer was the nicest looking mid size SUV. I do like the fact that it's going to be rear wheel drive. I prefer RWD to FWD.

But I have one question. As both Ford and GM are going gung ho on replacing their internal combustion engines within the next 10 years..is this the swan song for the IC Explorer ?

Ford certainly plans to test the waters but until someone puts in a charging network like or better than Tesla's I don't see it going very far. And I haven't seen anyone volunteer to put in that network other than Tesla. Ford may have to stick with hybrids or PHEVs like the Lincoln Aviator coming out soon.

I agree completely with you.

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Lessmore wrote:

IC engines are going to be around for a long time.

I hope you're right and I much prefer an IC.

I can't see how an all EV will work in the Canadian prairies, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, given the extreme cold winters, long distances between towns and from what I can see a lack of electric charging infrastructure systems in these relatively sparsely populated areas. I live in this region and like it and the IC works very well up here.

I think the new Ford Explorer coming out with it;s turbo V6, RWD and 4WD would make a fine vehicle in this region.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Tow rating will go from 3,500 on current model to >5,000 so much better in my book.

Still incredibly shy of the 7,000 rating my 2002 Explorer has.
I believe the tow rating for the V-6 365hp is 5600# for the New Explorer .

My โ€˜โ€™13 Explorer Limited with the factory tow pkg has a 5k lb tow rating.

And yes they are still shy of the 7500 lb rating my โ€˜01 V-8 Limited has.
Personally I would be uncomfortable towing more then 4k# with old or new style with a short wheelbase. I could see towing a small fishing boat or around a 16' RV under 4k loaded.

I used to tow a 27ft Award TT with a 95 4dr 4.0L Explorer. It was never an issue here in the flat Midwest power wise. The 5.0 wouldve been better off. It was very stable with a single friction bar. I can only imagine how good it wouldโ€™ve been with the Reese Dual Cam.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lessmore wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lessmore wrote:

IC engines are going to be around for a long time.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Tow rating will go from 3,500 on current model to >5,000 so much better in my book.

Personally I would be uncomfortable towing more then 4k# with old or new style with a short wheelbase. I could see towing a small fishing boat or around a 16' RV under 4k loaded.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
The seating and the interior appointments in the Explorers is the reason the wife went to the Edge. Used to buy a new Explorer every 3 years, but the last two purchases have been the Edge due to the interior ergonomics in the Explorer. Not sure what we'll do in 2020, now that they no longer offer the 3.5 in the Edge. We sure don't want that 4 cylinder Eco.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Drive an 18 daily for work. Seat bottoms seem like they are not long enough, contact is too far up the back of my thigh.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure I like how big the hood is. Also I really don't like those rotary shifters, have had them in a few rental cars and I just don't like them. And no more Sport model? Boo.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor