cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO detector beeping

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
The coach is in storage and not in use but I keep hearing a faint beep I removed it thinking it needed a new battery but it is hard wired. The coach is plugged in and there is nothing running that should trigger the alarm I am guessing it has gone bad. I need to get it fixed we will be using the coach staring the 22nd of this month. The existing detector is a Costar brand.

Should I get another one that is hard wired or a battery operated model?
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
19 REPLIES 19

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Fivetwos wrote:
When you pulled it out did you check the voltage going into the unit? I feel like the best new one is a hardwired with a battery back up...

I have not completely removed it yet it is hanging from the wires still beeping. The coach is parked at the rear of our property under an RV cover. I bought a battery powered one to replace it I just need to cut the old one in the clear they did not leave enough wire to unplug it:M

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Ours beeped when it "expired". It started at 1am and beeped about every 5 minutes! We got up and and took if off the wall and replaced it the next morning with the same thing.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Fivetwos
Explorer
Explorer
When you pulled it out did you check the voltage going into the unit? I feel like the best new one is a hardwire with a battery back up...
I've never had a 10, but I have had....

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
The coach is in storage and not in use but I keep hearing a faint beep I removed it thinking it needed a new battery but it is hard wired. The coach is plugged in and there is nothing running that should trigger the alarm I am guessing it has gone bad. I need to get it fixed we will be using the coach staring the 22nd of this month. The existing detector is a Costar brand.

I don't know where you're located, but It may be too cold for the detector to work properly. Most CO detectors only work within a fairly small temperature range. The widest range I am aware of is from +40*F to 100*F. More often it's +50*F to 100*F

We have one at the family cottage that needs to be unplugged during the winter months. If the temperatures go below 50*F a red light comes on and it starts beeping.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I was in a recent continuing ed. class for my trade license and a guy who seemed to know a lot about smoke and CO detectors had some interesting info. For the CO detectors, they start to lose effectiveness after just a few years and by 5 years they should be replaced. This seems especially important given the confined space of an RV and the cold temps the detectors are subjected to.

I personally put both smoke and CO detectors in each area (where doors can close) in my RVs.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the date it is a July 2009 so I guess it has lived out its life. The battery charger is on so it is not a battery issue. Thanks Mike

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Some beep because they are old and tired
Some beep because they are hungry and the battery is low

Since yours in in storage.. I'm going with option 2.
Crank up Generator for oh say six hours or hook up to shore power (same time).

It is stored at my house and hooked up to shore power all the time.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
stickdog wrote:
Ours aged out at 9 years. Replaced with hardwire.

Our first one lasted that long but I don't think they last that long anymore or at least, I think they have something in them that makes them age out at 5 years now. The last two I bought seem to die at EXACTLY 5 years.
I'm trying a little experiment with out new trailer. I'm going to disconnect it in the off season (about 4~5 mos a year) and see if it lasts long than 5 years.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some beep because they are old and tired
Some beep because they are hungry and the battery is low

Since yours in in storage.. I'm going with option 2.
Crank up Generator for oh say six hours or hook up to shore power (same time).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Ours aged out at 9 years. Replaced with hardwire.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They also beep when they've aged out. If it's around 5 y/o or more, it's died of old age.
Some also flash the LED orange when they're aged out.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:

Mine is hard-wired, and beeps when the house battery voltage drops to ~11.5V or so.

I got a new unit thinking perhaps the old one was expired, and on my next trip planned to replace it. However, during that trip, my house battery never went below 12V so I deferred.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:

For a replacement does it have to be an RV type they are much more expensive. I like the idea of it having its own battery and not rely on the house batteries.

In my opinion, it does not need to be an RV-specific unit. I replaced mine with a dual-function household battery-operated smoke/CO detector (same with the original smoke detector at the other end of the motorhome). The household ones that I got at least do not work properly in very cold conditions, so I have to remove the batteries during the winter when the RV is in storage lest they go off continually. I don't think that's a significant safety hazard in as much as I would not be using or sleeping in the RV when it's below zero inside it.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My house batteries are bad and I plan to change them out this spring our upcoming trip has full hookups so I won't be on battery power. I will look to see if the house batteries are charging we had a power loss the other day and it may have tripped the charge circuit off. There is a button on the inverter that turns battery charging on and off so it maybe off after the power outage. The detector is just hanging from the ceiling right now because they did not leave enough wire to unplug it if I change it out I will need to cut the 3 wires and splice on a new detector. I will look for a date on it but I think it is original equipment and this is a 2005 so it probably needs changing. I have an LP detector also but it is down close to the floor.

For a replacement does it have to be an RV type they are much more expensive. I like the idea of it having its own battery and not rely on the house batteries.