cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide won't come in (Solved)

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wrote several months ago about having a problem with my slide not coming in. Many of you replied with some very good ideas as to how to possibly fix the problem. Many of which I tried without success. I had power and the slide seemed to want to start to retract but then stopped. My neighbor came over and we pushed while running the motor and it began to move in but bunched up the carpet. Found out the edge of the floor (plywood) had deteriorated by moisture and the slide had sunk down so it would not clear the carpet.

Solution. Had the slide taken completely out. Pulled up the carpet Repaired the floor (new wood). Put the carpet back down and now I can travel again. PTL. Just wanted to report fix in case anyone else may have had a similar problem. The fix was not cheap, but the Tech was able to do the work right here where we are parked and in one day. Thanks to all who replied with ideas.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime
7 REPLIES 7

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
For my self, Seeing that slide was out, I would of removed the carpet and tiled the floor.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, lets see

What would I have done 1000 miles from home? I have no idea. Fortunately I am parked under a cover and the Tech was able to do the job right here.

The Tech said the moisture had seeped in under the slide while it was open over the years. There was no moisture barrier keeping the wood dry, but he put one over the end of the wood to keep it from happening again. I was very happy with their work even thought it was quite expensive.

How did he lift it out? I am parked on a 22x42 foot slab and he had a set of jacks that he had built specially for removing slides. They were battery powered and they raised the slide a bit and just rolled it away from the bus. He said he thought it weighed about 3000 pounds but the jacks handled it quite well. I am really sad now that I didn't take a picture of the process. I hope all of your repairs go as smoothly as this did. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

Did the guy use a forklift to remove the slideout?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you solved the problem. Did you ever find out where the moisture was coming from?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for getting back to us. Most never do!

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
howdy35 wrote:
Had the slide taken completely out.

A major repair! What would you have done 1000 miles from home in a campground?
There is something special about camping in an RV.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are fixed and back on the road...
and thanks for posting back with your solution.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro