cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swing out jack brackets

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
I've gotten my new F-350 dually, previous truck was a SRW Chevy.
Loaded the camper yesterday and man there isn't much clearance between the front jacks. The brackets are swing out but just not enough. I did measure before I started and knew it was tight. Too tight for me to feel comfortable. It looks like if I added some 4" or maybe even 6" flat bar between the jack and the bracket would give me some much needed clearance. So here I am, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Anyone else have the same problem and got any ideas? Maybe even 2 pieces of flat bar and sandwich the jack/bracket mountings. Not sure if I would use steel or aluminum. I'm thinking 1/4 thick.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV
31 REPLIES 31

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Not really, the jack tube is a sealed unit, and is considered to be โ€œnot user serviceableโ€. I havenโ€™t had to do anything to my 18 year old jacks other than replace a couple of the plastic covers, which arenโ€™t available any longer thanks to Lippert.

if I remember right, when you take the covers off youโ€™ll notice that the motor gear and the jack gear have a generous amount of grease slathered on them. Thatโ€™s about all you can check for on them.

The motors are replaceable as are the jack tubes, and there are still a few of those available though the price is going up.

I suspect if you were determined enough, you could figure out how to take the jack tube apart to lubricate it, but I havenโ€™t had to resort to that on mine yet. It may come to that someday though.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
I've got some SS truss head screws ordered for the jack covers. Couldn't find them local. Is there some kind of P.M for the jacks? I've never even looked inside.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good!

Talk about dejavu, at first I thought I was looking at pictures of MY camper.

โ€œI thought I painted those things???โ€ :h

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer

Let's try again.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer

Swing out bracket extensions are complete pending paint.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
If you have almost an inch of clearance now, using 3" flat bar spacer as NRALIFR, would move jack tube out about 2", giving you almost 3" of clearance.
Other than cable length, possible truck interferance my opinion is you want to minimize how much you move load out due to leverage its adding.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
deserteagle56 wrote:
Even with swing-out brackets my Bigfoot would not fit on my Ram dually. I had to add a 4" extension, but the way the brackets work on the Bigfoot I had to use 4" channel. Otherwise, the jacks would not lock into the open or closed position.
With that much extension I still have only about 1" clearance on each side for the fenders.

I looked today and 3" is just about max because of the length of the jack motor cable. Unless I could mod the cable length. Then I'd have trouble when I moved the jacks to the inboard position.

I have a 2003 Lance lite 1025 and from the pics it's the same setup as NRALIFR. I'd be happier with even more clearance but when I loaded the other day it was an inch or less. That's just too tight.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer

This is a test.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Looks like Panther RV is out of stock on the drill adapter.

Look on Amazon, Iโ€™m seeing several sellers there that claim to have some available.

Atwood drill adapter 85385

Yep I looked on Panther as was suggested. Got it on the way. Dang pricey for what it is. I should be wealthier instead of so good looking. I'll roll the dice and hope it fits.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
Wharfcat wrote:
****, Steel supplier is closed on Sat. looks like I'll have to wait to play next week. I'm in no danger of running out of stuff to do today.

The program bleeped out my colorful language. FNA.....Gotcha.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
****, Steel supplier is closed on Sat. looks like I'll have to wait to play next week. I'm in no danger of running out of stuff to do today.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
That adapter seems like the kind of thing you could make out of a 12-point socket if you canโ€™t buy one.

That would be good having a square drive. Use a short extension in the drill chuck.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even with swing-out brackets my Bigfoot would not fit on my Ram dually. I had to add a 4" extension, but the way the brackets work on the Bigfoot I had to use 4" channel. Otherwise, the jacks would not lock into the open or closed position.
With that much extension I still have only about 1" clearance on each side for the fenders.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
That adapter seems like the kind of thing you could make out of a 12-point socket if you canโ€™t buy one.

I thought of that or maybe a pipe nipple. I don't have access to a milling machine. could cut the slot with the porta-band. Would be a good rainy day project.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV