Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: AC/DC Compressor Refrigerators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC/DC Compressor Refrigerators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

If you go from house to campground and always camp on the level pads, then propane is best.
If you boondock or travel in the camper a lot parking to sightsee and want to leave fridge on then electric fridge works easier.

Don't you have these backwards? If you're driving house to campground, electricity might be best, since you'll always have electricity.

If you're boondocking a lot, without campsite supplied electricity, wouldn't propane be best?

I know when I'm traveling, and have to stop at a Walmart while enroute, there is no substitute for a propane fridge.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I know when I'm traveling, and have to stop at a Walmart while enroute, there is no substitute for a propane fridge."

The OP wanted to hear from anyone who"has" a AC/DC compressor fridge. A number of previous posters who have or had DC compressor fridges have mentioned the benefits of this type of fridge in an RV situation while dry/boondock or any kind of camping.

I do not understand why stopping at Walmart would require a propane fridge only.

Dave

2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

"
I know when I'm traveling, and have to stop at a Walmart while enroute, there is no substitute for a propane fridge."

The OP wanted to hear from anyone who"has" a AC/DC compressor fridge. A number of previous posters who have or had DC compressor fridges have mentioned the benefits of this type of fridge in an RV situation while dry/boondock or any kind of camping.

I do not understand why stopping at Walmart would require a propane fridge only.

Dave

If I overnight at Walmart and it is cold outside and furnace is running I need as much battery power for the night as I can get. Propane fridge won't use nearly as much battery as the DC fridge so the furnace keeps us warm at night.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have Dometic chest type AC/DC unit in basement. Run it on AC when camped, DC while traveling. Works great. Can't hear it inside MH. When getting food in/out, if the unit is running, I can hear the fans but not really hear the compressor. If was replacement for MH fridge, I suppose you would be able to hear it, but I would not think it would be bothersome. DW runs a fan at night so I would not be able to hear the fridge. Since we have 120V about 99% of the time when camping, I will replace the propane fridge with a residential when it fails. Will run it from its own inverter/charger and batteries.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An electric compressor fridge is great
For anyplace and time you do not want to take the time to get level
Curbside parking, unlevel parking lots like rest areas and campgrounds with sites that are hard to get level

* This post was edited 01/26/19 09:20pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though the logic is not... IN my not very humble opinion valid. WHY did someone say that electric was better if you boondock a lot and propane if parked on a nice level pat at a campground.

Because he does not understand how to level his trailer.

You see Propane needs to be close to level (Generally within 3 Degrees. Does anyone have any idea as to how much OFF LEVEL 3 degrees is.. side to side over 4 1/2 inches. that's 3 slabs of 2X tire width folks)

But electric fridges are good if 3-or even 14 degrees off level (Danger of rollover off level).

Clearly you are not going to be leaving your RV that off level if you plan to sleep in it. SIde to side (I worked it out several times and it's over 3 slabs of 2x lumber no Bouncing down the road by the way it does not matter so much...

I went with Propane.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First three motor homes came with propane fridge
First two worked, #3 was dead on arrival replaced it
#4 dead on arrival, paid for repair, did not work, guy replaced cooling unit
It blew up
I install a120v compressor fridge works great for eight years, still working for new owner
This one has an LP fridge, I think it is the best working l.p. Fridge I have ever had, I hope it keeps working that way

Not sure what I will do if it dies

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Though the logic is not... IN my not very humble opinion valid. WHY did someone say that electric was better if you boondock a lot and propane if parked on a nice level pat at a campground.

Because he does not understand how to level his trailer.

You see Propane needs to be close to level (Generally within 3 Degrees. Does anyone have any idea as to how much OFF LEVEL 3 degrees is.. side to side over 4 1/2 inches. that's 3 slabs of 2X tire width folks)

But electric fridges are good if 3-or even 14 degrees off level (Danger of rollover off level).

Clearly you are not going to be leaving your RV that off level if you plan to sleep in it. SIde to side (I worked it out several times and it's over 3 slabs of 2x lumber no Bouncing down the road by the way it does not matter so much...

I went with Propane.

John - thanks for your clear and rational information above!

As I understand it, modern versions of propane refrigerators don't need to be parked as level as older versions. We could never walk around in or sleep in an RV anywhere near as off level as modern propane refrigerators allow, anyway. Also, a few hours here and there off level outside of propane refrigerator recommendations while shopping, dining, sight seeing, etc. doesn't do long term harm to them.

Once years ago we had to park way, way off-level for 3-4 hours while attending a picnic. The propane refrigerator's internal temperature rose to near 60 degrees during that time but apparently no harm was done, as our propane refrigerator has continued to perform spectacularly ever since. Just for what it's worth, we do even travel off-highway in our Class C motorhome using roads that are definitely non-level.

However reading in these forums, I'm getting the impression that either late model propane refrigerators are manufactured cheaply or RV manufacturers aren't installing them properly in newer RVs.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

However reading in these forums, I'm getting the impression that either late model propane refrigerators are manufactured cheaply or RV manufacturers aren't installing them properly in newer RVs.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC/DC Compressor Refrigerators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS