cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Preparing for Cross Country Trip in 2003 Jayco Greyhawk

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are preparing for a long road trip South with our older Jayco Trailhawk MH. It has just 52,000 miles on it and we have kept up with maintenance.

My question is, what vehicle parts for the Ford 450 would you all purchase ahead of time to keep in the vehicle for longer trips? Sometimes locating parts on the road during a problem can take a bit of time even though someone might be available to fix it.

We already carry a basic tool kit, emergency road reflectors, colored vest, spare with a bottle jack, air compressor, tow strap, and jumper cables.

Any typical parts for this engine that might be easy to carry and store?

Thanks!
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK
11 REPLIES 11

mda
Explorer
Explorer
All fluids changed. Tires and brakes in good shape. Roadside assistance and cell phone. As mentioned service and parts are readily available all over North America. One item I carry is a serpentine belt. It is not hard to replace and a mobile should not have any trouble replacing it if it breaks on the highway. Check here for the belt that fiits: https://www.fordgenuineautoparts.com. Rescue tape takes care of the hoses.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If your pulling a toad, then you have a vehicle to use for a run to the auto parts. If you do carry parts then a spare serpentine belt and radiator hoses could come in handy. But if their real old I would change them out before hand anyway.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry belts, hoses, and fuel filter (and of course tools). Those items will stop you in your tracks but can be easily replaced alongside of the road. Fuses, electrical tape, wire...

Of course, if you have it, you'll likely never need it!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Credit Card and good Cell Phone

Regardless of which spare parts you carry...it will NOT be the one you need IF needed!

How many spare parts do you carry around in your other vehicles?
RVs are no different.
YES things fail but if you have a known issue fix it before you leave.
Otherwise.ENJOY THE TRIP

X2
Proud father of a US Marine

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day, I used to carry hoses, belts, plugs, fuses, fuel pump and filter, etc. These days you can get anything tomorrow from anywhere, so I carry a credit card. :B

There's not much that goes wrong with the E450. Fuel pump is probably the most likely thing to have an issue with, but it's not exactly side of the road DIY so no point in carrying a spare...

Best advice would probably be to make sure everything is in tip-top shape when you leave. Flush the brakes, make sure front end is solid, good tires, and change all fluids. Advice I should be taking right now, actually!
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

jamesham
Explorer
Explorer
A cell phone with CoachNet number on Speed Dial is the best emergency tool. If breakdown beside the highway, getting towed to safe spot is my first concern.

I have a 96 motorhome, so have the age concerns that comes with such a machine. My limited replacement parts box has: fuses, sepentine belt, radiator hoses, light bulbs, and some hunks of fusible wire. Ford 450 parts are easy to get via overnight service so not hard to find after you determine what is needed.

Tool box has Rescue Tape as my primary go-to product for everything from electrical to water leaks. The usual Eterna Bond, Duck Tape, Metal Tape, Super Glue, Silicone Spray and WD40 goes in any RV.

Battery jump pack and Air Compressor take up a lot of space but great when needed. To save space, the Schumacher model SJ1332 does both, and provides an inverter too for low-wattage use.

I do not leave home without a new spare tire and an unmounted old one for emergency backup. Some would not have all of the weight and space of a spare, so it is a personal choice.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the best things about running Ford E-350/450 is that any parts you might ever need can be had just about anywhere. Between the internet, local auto parts stores and overnight shipping, there is virtually nothing you can 't have in 24 hours. Add to this equation the fact that there are Ford dealerships all across the nation and just about any independent mechanic can work on your coach.

As noted a 15 year old coach with 52,000 miles probably suffers more from neglect than use. Make sure all of the requisite maintenance is current - cooling and brake systems flushed, oil, trans, and differential changed {going to pure synthetic is a good idea}. Get your tires inspected and aired to the proper psi for the loads they will actually be carrying {and watch the DOT code dates}.

You might consider adding an inexpensive compressor and/or some sort of jump start/charger {Harbor Freight is a good place to shop}. An assortment of fuses takes little space and can be cheap insurance. A reliable emergency road service is a must as well {I like Coach Net}.

:C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't carry anything in particular aside from the basics (which you seem to have pretty well covered). Frankly, I suspect you'll have more trouble with the house systems than with the Ford chassis; it's pretty rugged, and if it does have problems service is not too hard to find, nor are parts rare and unavailable.

A year and a half ago I took a cross-continent trip (Vermont to Alaska and back) in my '98 Ford E-SuperDuty based Coachmen--the E-SuperDuty was renamed to the E450 after a couple years--and the only chassis problems I had were "permanently lubricated" ball joints that ceased to be lubricated due to the rubber booties breaking down and wearing out, and a tire that failed. Carrying a spare set of ball joints doesn't seem at all logical, and I could put my spare on to get to a tire shop and replace all the tires as they were getting pretty well worn by that point at the end of the trip anyhow.

I'd just make sure it's up on regular maintenance and enjoy the trip.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was driving 15 and 16 year old vehicles on trips the list of needed parts
could fill a utility trailer. Having only 52k miles on a 16 yr old vehicle means it sat a lot, had a lot of down time.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
What Old-Biscuit said plus maybe Roadside Assistance coverage?
Good Sam or FMCA should do it.
2010 Suncruiser

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Credit Card and good Cell Phone

Regardless of which spare parts you carry...it will NOT be the one you need IF needed!

How many spare parts do you carry around in your other vehicles?
RVs are no different.
YES things fail but if you have a known issue fix it before you leave.
Otherwise.ENJOY THE TRIP
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31