cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blackstone griddle

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a different grill,I have the coleman road trip grill now I like it but I hate the clean up, it is a major pain to clean.

I came across the Blackstone griddle and it looks intersting and looks like it would clean up easy.

Who has the Blackstone and what is your opinion of it?

Thanks.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion
33 REPLIES 33

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased one of the 22" Blackstone griddles from Walmart and have had zero problems with it. It does require you to season the griddle, but that only takes a couple of hours. I have used it for camping several times, and it has never let me down once. Once the griddle is seasoned, cooking on it is easier than cooking in a non-stick skillet at the house.

For transport, I went to Harbor freight and bought one of their moving blankets and a package of tie-downs. When I am ready to pack up, I lay the blanket out on a table, set the griddle on it, and wrap it up. I then take the tie-down straps and secure the blanket. The blanket has protected the griddle and the tie-downs give you a handle to grab when you move it.

This griddle is probably one of the best camping purchases I have made to date...just my 2 cents.

HuckFinn410
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify. The Stainless version just has Stainless on the sides and legs....not the grill. The cold rolled steel cook top is the same cooking surface on all models. When i got it new, I cleaned it...scrubbed it lightly, heated it and wiped it with canola oil to season. I did this 2 or 3 times then cooked a pound of bacon on it and it's was good to go.

When I am done cooking with it, I squirt plain water on it..steams it up and loosens any junk, then I put a light coating of oil on it, wait for it to cool, then put it away.

Non stick functionality has been outstanding...I can flip an over easy egg, no problem.

Lots of good You Tube videos on it.

Huck
Homesick for a place that I've never been

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
They're going to sell you a $270 grill for $89? That alone tells me all I need to know...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
NuttyKev wrote:
Ive been eyeing this too, and came across this website that sells it for a 3rd of the price. Of course im skeptical, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. They do sell other items. Has anybody ever bought anything from this site?

https://www.1supershop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129&search=FLAT+TOP+GAS+GRILL

I googled the site name and the reviews are HORRIBLE! People have ordered and their cards have been charged, but nothing has shipped. The reviews on Facebook must be from paid people, because they all are great.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

NuttyKev
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been eyeing this too, and came across this website that sells it for a 3rd of the price. Of course im skeptical, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. They do sell other items. Has anybody ever bought anything from this site?

https://www.1supershop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129&search=FLAT+TOP+GAS+GRILL

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Wife wants one. They make the 36 inch with stainless griddle surface too.
I know how iron seasons but wonder if the stainless one is a better option.

I personally would not prefer the stainless version over the cast iron. As someone who works with metals on a near-daily basis, that's my opinion. The cast iron will get surface rust, but that can always be cleaned. The stainless will get pitted rust, which is not easily cleaned. And whatever grade stainless they're offering will surely not be a high-quality metal.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Wife wants one. They make the 36 inch with stainless griddle surface too.
I know how iron seasons but wonder if the stainless one is a better option.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
bob213 wrote:
17" has a single burner while the 22" has 2. I like the 22 since I can push food over to a cooler side if needed. But if size is a peoblem the 17 works great for just the 2 of us. We cook everything on it from chow mien, fajitas, burgers, steaks, breakfast and with a stone we do pizza.

Father in law has one, another camping buddy has one... both the cheaper 17" model. FIL wishes he had the 22", simply for the 2 burners. When it gets breezy, he has a hard time keeping the temperatures up. A double burner would be able to keep up.

Unfortunately that is good to know. I just received a 17" model as a present. I'll beware of low heat issue.
I've heard the available hood maintain adequate heat.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
17" has a single burner while the 22" has 2. I like the 22 since I can push food over to a cooler side if needed. But if size is a peoblem the 17 works great for just the 2 of us. We cook everything on it from chow mien, fajitas, burgers, steaks, breakfast and with a stone we do pizza.

Father in law has one, another camping buddy has one... both the cheaper 17" model. FIL wishes he had the 22", simply for the 2 burners. When it gets breezy, he has a hard time keeping the temperatures up. A double burner would be able to keep up.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Blackstone Tailgater; and love it. Considered the Camp Chef system, but the cost was significantly higher by the time it was outfitted similarly to the Blackstone.

The tailgater comes complete with 2 burners (1 round, 1 "H"), the griddle, the grille box, and fully adjustable legs. Add the carry case set (for all components) and you're up to about $225, vs $300+ for a similarly equipped Camp Chef (base unit, grille box, griddle, leg levelers, case (for the base unit only)). Online user comparisons also suggest that the Tailgater's H-burner gives a more even cooking temperature across the griddle.

As for the quality...although I haven't actually used the Camp Chef, I have looked at/felt it in the store; while a bit heavier, I don't see enough of a difference to claim "apples to oranges". If I was full-timing or using it at home, then perhaps the Camp Chef may have gotten the nod, but for me, the Blackstone is the way to go. The adjustable legs are extremely important on a flattop griddle, ALL of the parts fit into just two carry bags, and so far the quality has proven itself sufficient for "camping" use. Of course, YMMV.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
drsteve wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
While its not a Blackstone we purchased a Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner last year and love it also. Large griddle is awesome, also have a grill for it as well as a dutch oven. Very versatile and plugs into the RV propane quick connect. Takes up a little space but then again we had the space for it.

Dan

I'm with you on this. We also have the Explorer 2 burner but we're fixing to upgrade to a Camp Chef 3-burner system. I don't mind that it takes up so much room. We do almost all of our cooking on it and need a bigger grill box than the Explorer 2 Burner has.

I know that Blackstone has a strong following and tons of great reviews. But the apples-to-apples comparison between their products and the Camp Chef products isn't even close.

The Blackstone is a flat top griddle, not really comparable to the Camp Chef stove, which can be decked out with a variety of accessories. Camp Chef also makes simple flat griddles too.

Blackstone also has a system available with interchangeable griddle, grill, and bare burner pieces: linky at Tractor Supply. No idea how well it compares to the Camp Chef system; it did seem rather lightly built when I poked at it in the store (aside from the griddle top itself).

Blackstone has a comparable model to the Camp Chef, as mentioned here. I do acknowledge, though, that the OP was not completely clear on which model he was considering. I know that Blackstone does have a stand-alone griddle model, but I do not believe Camp Chef has anything like that.

What I do know is that the Blackstone unit most comparable to the Camp Chef Explorer 2 is certainly a far less quality. I've seen them and used them side-by-side, so IMO, this is an accurate statement.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
While its not a Blackstone we purchased a Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner last year and love it also. Large griddle is awesome, also have a grill for it as well as a dutch oven. Very versatile and plugs into the RV propane quick connect. Takes up a little space but then again we had the space for it.

Dan

I'm with you on this. We also have the Explorer 2 burner but we're fixing to upgrade to a Camp Chef 3-burner system. I don't mind that it takes up so much room. We do almost all of our cooking on it and need a bigger grill box than the Explorer 2 Burner has.

I know that Blackstone has a strong following and tons of great reviews. But the apples-to-apples comparison between their products and the Camp Chef products isn't even close.

The Blackstone is a flat top griddle, not really comparable to the Camp Chef stove, which can be decked out with a variety of accessories. Camp Chef also makes simple flat griddles too.

Blackstone also has a system available with interchangeable griddle, grill, and bare burner pieces: linky at Tractor Supply. No idea how well it compares to the Camp Chef system; it did seem rather lightly built when I poked at it in the store (aside from the griddle top itself).

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:

Dan

It is essentially a flat top when you have the griddle, you just have more options.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:

Dan

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP