cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left brake and left turn signal not working on tow vehicle

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Revolution, tow car is a Ford Escape hybrid.
Never had any problems with the wiring for the tow vehicle till today.
All lights are working correctly on the motor home. I have a 6 pin connector. I'm not getting power to the plug on the motor home for the left turn signal, and the left brake light isn't working The right turn signal is working and the right brake light is working on the tow vehicle when hooked up. Help!!
10 REPLIES 10

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Check the 7 pin connector on the motor home side to see if one of the pins is pushed in.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Bad fuse. Finally found the fuse box, that wasn't the biggest chore. Even Fleetwood couldn't tell me exactly where it was. Just that it should be in on of the rear compartments. Turns out it was the Battery compartment.

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think its not your tow or harness. My last 05 had circuit breakers for trailer plug. They are self reseting. Car shorts it and you unplug to test and it resets. Good luck

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar problem with our 2006 Phaeton on a Freightliner XC Chassis in early 2007. We have a module in the rear passenger side compartment that drives the toad light system, we lost the turn signal and brake light on the passenger side. I tapped into the motorhome's passenger side turn signal at the tail light and added a wire to the back side of the 6 connector plug. This solved the problem until we had the complete module for towing changed out.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Worst case is you'll have to run a new wire.....

There's another option -- Tekonsha Modulite. The system works by induction so no need to run new wire or cut into existing.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I read your post correctly, the toad is a non issue. I assume you've used a test light on your motorhome plug and found the left turn wire is dead. This should be the YELLOW wire. First thing would be to ensure this wire is good. I.E. not disconnected inside the receptacle. Trace the wire backwards as far as you can looking for a frayed or broken connection. Worst case is you'll have to run a new wire.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
then i'd check for continuity in the umbillical and also in the wiring from the toad connection to the bulb socket. also could be a loose ground at the bulb socket.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
No Diodes, I wired the lights for towing separately. The problem is in the motor home. All the lights work properly on the motor home, but I'm not getting a left turn signal or left brake like at the plug. Right turn, right brake, tail lights, all work on the toad when plugged into the motor home for towing. I've check the back of the plug, and it's fine, I'm not getting power to the plug for left turn signal and left brake.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
2004 Revolution, tow car is a Ford Escape hybrid.
Never had any problems with the wiring for the tow vehicle till today.
All lights are working correctly on the motor home. I have a 6 pin connector. I'm not getting power to the plug on the motor home for the left turn signal, and the left brake light isn't working The right turn signal is working and the right brake light is working on the tow vehicle when hooked up. Help!!

does the toad have a sevond set of iights or are they wired with diodes? your symptoms match what haapened when the diodes blew in our toad.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our 2005 Fleetwood Excursion there is a small fuse panel in the top back of the first compartment behind the right drive wheels. The fuses in there control the turn signals and other things on the toad.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.