cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freon capacity

ggoguen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Thor Daybreak, on a Ford F53 chassis.I just finished putting in the chassis condenser, I added 4 cans of Freon, 48oz, my pressures are at 20psi low and, 170 high, 70 deg ambient temp. It's blowing cold air inside, but, the pressure readings show that the system is low on Freon. I just can't believe I need to add more? I found a sticker with Freon capacity, but it is smudged, and unreadable. Does anyone know how much Freon this system holds?
28 REPLIES 28

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Matt_Colie wrote:
Unfortunately, many of you have missed a big trick. If you have old hardware that was R-12, look at finding some HC-12 to replace it. This is a hydrocarbon refrigerant that is a mix of propane and isobutane and much purer than general LP. It is compatible with everything so no oil or seal changes are required, and it is a better refrigerant - thermodynamicly than is R-134A.

OK, so it is a flammable gas, all 3# (generous) of it, just like the 80# of propane you have in that tank or the 700# of fuel in those tanks. But better than 134 (which is also flammable) as the combustion by- products are not as highly toxic.

Lots of different agencies say it is not approved or (rarely) not legal, but that means that those people have to catch you at doing something harmless.

Of course the EPA has come out against it. This is probably because it can't be patented because propane was used as a refrigerant before the halogenated hydrocarbons came on the seen.

Matt

READ THIS LINK. Only a FOOL would use this type Auto refrigerant.Doug
Especially about a front end accident that pierces the condensor

https://www.aa1car.com/library/flammable_refrigerants.htm

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
Did you figure out the problem?

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
People give you down the road for calling refrigerant Freon but yanno, they knew what you were talking about. I use the term often when I repair someones AC. I know thats what term they use.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, many of you have missed a big trick. If you have old hardware that was R-12, look at finding some HC-12 to replace it. This is a hydrocarbon refrigerant that is a mix of propane and isobutane and much purer than general LP. It is compatible with everything so no oil or seal changes are required, and it is a better refrigerant - thermodynamicly than is R-134A.

OK, so it is a flammable gas, all 3# (generous) of it, just like the 80# of propane you have in that tank or the 700# of fuel in those tanks. But better than 134 (which is also flammable) as the combustion by- products are not as highly toxic.

Lots of different agencies say it is not approved or (rarely) not legal, but that means that those people have to catch you at doing something harmless.

Of course the EPA has come out against it. This is probably because it can't be patented because propane was used as a refrigerant before the halogenated hydrocarbons came on the seen.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
He has a 2013 MH I am sure it takes R134A refrigerant. Not sure why this thread got off onto R12 AND I am guilty of calling all refrigerant "Freon" kind of like calling all tissue Kleenex! I know better but that is a habit!:W
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I have changed to 134a. The cooling is not as good in a system made for R-12. As of today only one of my cars use R-12 but you never know when I'll get another, so I'll keep my supply of real R-12 and continue to buy when the price is right. R-22 will be phased out and that's why I also have 30lbs of that also.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I have License R12 is not being made in is country maybe somewhere else and gotting in illegal. That say do you really want to chance garbage with out safety what you should really do is get a retro kit and change it to 134 A. As far as 22 that too will be phased out in 2 to 4 years. I would never risk my my License first you need to use a recover tank to collect and service unit not many will do a separate tank for R12 this drives cost up.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I as well as my old car buds have a supply of R-12 and you can still find it at many swap meets. It's R-22 that has really increased in price.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
to 10 minute call for repair assistance with a certified technician - $14.95 to certified tec you need a License. Not to anyone you must read all and understand what you read

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
R 12 can not be gotten with out a license It has not be product in 15 years you must be buying R-134a refrigerant. No car or truck since 92 had R12 I believe.

Ebay & Amazon sell R12 to the general public all the Time.

R12
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
R 12 can not be gotten with out a license It has not be product in 15 years you must be buying R-134a refrigerant. No car or truck since 92 had R12 I believe.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
R-12 price has seemed to drop as less vehicles are around that use it. The last two cans I bought I got for $15. each compared to 30. or higher a few years back. R-22 is still up there in price, but that to should fall as more home units are replaced.

JimD10796
Explorer
Explorer
At 70 ambient, pressure should be low side 35-40 and high side 145-160psi. IMO possible blockage in expansion/orfice, which should be replaced as well as the drier anytime the system is open.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
really you would be lucky to find 12 and if so maybe a 16 oz coast maybe 260 dollars it would be a costly change over ever if it could be done which it could not'