cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel bearing service, how much?

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
Had a mobile RV repair mechanic come to my house and service the wheel bearings. This is work I have done myself in the past but my knees are getting so bad it is painful to get down on the ground. Passport 195RB dual axle. He was here about an hour and a half, replaced seals, cleaned and re-greased bearings, reinstalled and adjusted brakes. $305 (including a $85 service call). How does that compare to what others are paying?
Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB
20 REPLIES 20

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just one example of LesSchwabs fine QUALITY work! What's wrong with this pic?

Another good one, my Uncle had LS do a complete bearing/seal/pack on his Alpenlite. He pulled off at a RestArea and realized his entire tire/wheel/hub assembly was gone. Can you say forgot the cotter key???

I have a LONG list of LS BS and failures.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:
I find it interesting that as soon as someone tells us about getting a good deal on what is possibly a job well done, someone has to throw in a comment about what crappy service the OP actually got. A person with a bearing grease press can do an excellent job foster than a person with a hand full of grease can manually press the grease into a bearing.
If it was my trailer, I would be hanging out and watching what he is doing, but I would not assume that he does poor work.
I can see your point, but I, for one, hate having someone looking over my shoulder to make sure I do it right.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Bob, to quote some really knowledgeable folks, "you get what you pay for". :B

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find it interesting that as soon as someone tells us about getting a good deal on what is possibly a job well done, someone has to throw in a comment about what crappy service the OP actually got. A person with a bearing grease press can do an excellent job foster than a person with a hand full of grease can manually press the grease into a bearing.
If it was my trailer, I would be hanging out and watching what he is doing, but I would not assume that he does poor work.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a rolling stool for years. Beats getting down on your knees by a mile.
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/mechanics-rolling-seat

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something that might help you getting down on the ground to do that kind of work.

One of the auto stores have pads.
Harbor Freight is one design. not the one I have

[/url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Lift-47-in-Mechanic-Folding-Work-Pad-C-1000/203609940?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CHC%7CD25T%7C25-31_GARAGE/AUTOMOTIVE%7CNA%7CNA%7c71700000037147756%7c58700004141485310%7c92700035285887579&gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_HhBRDNARIsAGHLV50R_W5gWrYQzBv4YL83ZSad4jj4IIb8aeWUyZiRZK4uNXBA4SDC_UYaAu36EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds]Home Depot

Is like the one I have (mine has a Chevy logo on it and came from an auto parts store. I"m thinking advancced auto but not sure. 20 bucks

I add a "Tall" foldign stool (eight bucks at Aldi) and getting down and up is way way way easier than cold hard ground.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
$85 bucks to drive 50 miles each way...that's a good deal.

If you are retired, I would consider planning a morning job to swing by a shop before heading out for destination not to far away and you could cut that by 30-40% without creating extra work but really this isn't too bad of a deal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
LS is the worst place you could go for anything.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I go t o my local les schwab tire store and have mine done for $49 per axle, bears if need are extra

Interesting...they quoted me $49 per wheel...?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
I go t o my local les schwab tire store and have mine done for $49 per axle, bears if need are extra

You get what you pay for. I would like to watch them do the service. I will bet, they slab grease on the bearings and do NOT PACK them. Doug

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Send him my way....Great deal AND he came to you.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
rjniles wrote:
2oldman wrote:
rjniles wrote:
He also drove 50 miles to my house.
Miracle. I would have tipped heavily.

I gave him $350 and he said call him any time.

Awesome!
Always nice to hear when someone gets a great deal and even better when you pass it on.
You'll be at the top of the list when you need help again

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rjniles wrote:
I gave him $350 and he said call him any time.
Excellent.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman