cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furrion rear camera wiring question

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Please tell me if I am missing something simple. Previous TT was a wildwood with factory installed bracket and wiring for furrion rear camera. Factory wire was spliced connected to marker lights. Easy, connect tow vehicle turn on truck lights camera is powered. Traded in wildwood on keystone Laredo TT with factory installed bracket also. I removed camera from wildwood when we traded in. I installed camera this weekend and noticed immediately camera powers on. I was plugged in to shore power in my driveway. Unplug shore no power connect truck to TT no powwr to camera. I turn off all breakers in TT panel, plug shore power in then start turning on breakers one at a time. The converter breaker is the ONLY breaker that powers on the camera. Am I missing something or do I need to fish around inside back wall of TT to splice into marker lights?
7 REPLIES 7

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
MYSTERY SOLVED. :0)

It was simple and an oversight on my part.
The factory installed camera power plug is dc powered. I was in a rush getting things ready for our first trip with TT last week when I installed camera. I had forgotten that I had turned the factory installed battery disconnect switch off a couple days earlier after batteries were charged. Previous TT did not have disconnect. When I got home from work today I unplugged shore power made sure battery disconnect was on and bingo camera had power. I went to dc fuse panel and there was a fuse labeled โ€œaccessoryโ€. Pulled the fuse and no power to camera. That means camera is on all the time unless battery is disconnected and off shore power but I will deal with that.

As always appreciate the help and response and my bad on blaming a mistake by factory without troubleshooting more.

Iโ€™m still looking for an on off switch though.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Only gets power plugged into Shore Power. That points to another problem. The system is 12 volt. The 12 volt system on Trailers is shared all the way to the 7-way trailer/truck cord. So, if the plug is only HOT when on shore power, you have a blown fuse or a wiring problem. The switch for the Camera, can be anywhere and can be hidden. They are usually OUTSIDE so you can easily turn the Camera on and off without going inside. But, the switch can be located inside any outside storage area or the Water Bay area(Jayco does this). Very unusual for a trailer to be prewired AND a plug/bracket supplied when it has NO Camera system from the OEM. You really need to talk to the Manufacturer about how and why they wired the trailer. Doug

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
sgfrye wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Your Camera connection is NOT connected to the upper clearance light wires. You have connected to a wire that is 12 volt positive all the time. Doug

Yes thank you for confirmation. I thought this was what happened The factory worker on assembly connected the โ€œprewired camera mount power supply wire โ€œ to whatever he or she found. Great work. (Sarcastic) So far nothing else has shown up as assembly problems . Hopefully.....

Are you stating there was a wire in the top rear just for a Camera? If so, don't be too quick to blame the Factory. Some Trailers have a prewire but have a ON/OFF switch located somewhere up front either inside or outside. Remember, YOU installed and connected the Camera to the rear wire. Not the Factory. Doug

On this TT There is a camera bracket installed on rear exterior wall by factory with a camera power plug already installed for furrion cameras. I installed camera in bracket and plugged in camera. Only gets power plugged in to shore power. Previous TT had a wire installed in the bracket with no plug . Used camera female plug included with camera and I spliced into TT wire in bracket That wire was connected to marker lights. If there is an on/off switch I would love to find it.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
sgfrye wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Your Camera connection is NOT connected to the upper clearance light wires. You have connected to a wire that is 12 volt positive all the time. Doug

Yes thank you for confirmation. I thought this was what happened The factory worker on assembly connected the โ€œprewired camera mount power supply wire โ€œ to whatever he or she found. Great work. (Sarcastic) So far nothing else has shown up as assembly problems . Hopefully.....

Are you stating there was a wire in the top rear just for a Camera? If so, don't be too quick to blame the Factory. Some Trailers have a prewire but have a ON/OFF switch located somewhere up front either inside or outside. Remember, YOU installed and connected the Camera to the rear wire. Not the Factory. Doug

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Think t's 'fish time' Mine is wired to my marker lights as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB