cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member needs advice on 2003 Monaco Signature

daveb1256
Explorer
Explorer
We are new members and are preparing to purchase our first RV with the intention of being fulltimers. We are seeking advice from those of you that have had experience with older Monaco Signature coaches. We are looking at and considering purchasing a 2003 Monaco Signature Commander 525. We have seen only photos so far but it appears to be of the quality we are looking for. It appears to be in good condition was well maintained by the grandparents (now deceased) that traveled extensively and spent winters in the south. This unit has 158K miles and the generator has 10,000 hours on it. Should those 2 facts scare us off? If anyone has owned a coach with the Cummins 525 (ISX 15 ?) we would love to hear your views about dependability, life expectancy etc. The generator is a 12.5 KW Onan, what is a reasonable life expectancy (max hours) on those?
18 REPLIES 18

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
js218 wrote:
At Norton pond,have 5 acres on the lake with full hookups for the rig plus a cabin love the snow
Jim

You guys need to move your posts to "Around the Campfire" 🙂

To the OP. I have just shy of 100,000 miles on mine and have had no problems or issues with the engine. The mileage would not bother me but I'd recheck the hours on the genset. There is a mistake there-just how big of one, I dunno. That coach would have been top of the line for Monaco and in 03 they were still considered above average as a company. I'd book a cheap air fare and go see it in person. If I liked it, then I'd spring for the inspection. Things to check for are maintenance records and date codes on the tires. If the coach was serviced regularly, the dealer/facility that did the service should have records if the daughter does not. The date codes, most likely will be on the INSIDE of the tires so dress accordingly. Also, any Cummins facility can give you a readout on the engine if you give them the engine code. Look for a tag on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Finally, call Monaco, now RVI, @ 1-800-509-3417 and see if they still have the build sheet on that coach. If they do, they'll fax or email it to you. That will have all the serial numbers of everything on the coach...best of luck..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
js218 wrote:
At Norton pond,have 5 acres on the lake with full hookups for the rig plus a cabin love the snow
Jim

GOOD, you can have our share.
Our Tulips are up.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Jim
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
You can go visit my 102 year old Aunt in Rutland. Don't forget Ben and Jerry's!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Yep every state except Hawaii, currently in northern Vermont.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
js218 wrote:
Ordered my Haulmark 05/16, picked it up 10/16, currently have 128,000 miles on it.

You've been doing some traveling....That's Wonderful!!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered my Haulmark 05/16, picked it up 10/16, currently have 128,000 miles on it.
Jim

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hopefully the daughter missed the decimal point and it’s only 1000 hours. While a diesel generator is good for 20,000+ hours that’s a lot of use on the rest of the rig. On IRV2 there are posts about the ISX dropping the #6 intake valve to the tune of $25,000+ in damage. Mainly ISX in RVs, not trucks and while the cause is unknown, it may be related to the EGR. If so, a 03 engine does not have EGR and may be how it’s made it to 158K as some with EGR did not make it to 36K miles.

As you can see below I’m a fan of the big Monaco’s and I would look for a 04-06 Executive with the Detroit 60 engine. Our Snowbird park mandates that we had to go to a 08 rig or newer and Monaco stopped having a Detroit as an option by then...I have a ISX 525.

The chassis is the same between Dynasty, Exe, and Sig with more bling and fewer non standard options in the Exe and Sig which have bigger engines.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I should sell mine today, based on expert advice. 130k and4k plus... oh no the sky is falling.

IF maintained and good price, and you are pretty handy...go for it. Quality coach!!!
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
One must know the high milage on the engine is no worries, but the rest of the chassis is.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Have you done some comparison? RV Trader has the same unit with 62,000 miles on it for 115,000.00. I guess what I'm saying is it depends on the price. The Mileage on the CAT itself would not scare me away depending on the price. That many hours on the Generator....might be a concern. There are a lot of nice lightly used premium coaches out there...look carefully before you leap!

As far as relying on a so called "certified tech/mechanic" , I'd want to see some previous customer comments/recommendations.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

daveb1256
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the input. We have decided to have an inspection done by an NRVIA certified inspector. Can I count on an accurate inspection report from this resource? We live 1500 miles from the MH and don't want to make a wasted trip.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
It's high on milage and generator time, Id pass on that alone.

I agree that's more use than I would be comfortable with. Not only did they likely full time but lived off the grid too. Nothing wrong with that but a lot of wear & tear.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
It's high on milage and generator time, Id pass on that alone.