cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely no power

BBB66
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I have a 2017 Thor ACE on a F53 chassis, it’s parked next to my house on 50 amp shore power. I start it every couple of weeks, run it to normal operating temp etc.
today I go to start it and nothing, no click no dash lights. Everything is dead. Shore power works fine, all accessories in the back are good. Battery’s look fine, no frays, chew marks from critters etc. can you offer any advice on what I need to check?
Many thanks...
Mike
31 REPLIES 31

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to top your batteries every month, run your generator under load,1 hr.

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to top off your batterys every month. Distilled water

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
BBB66 wrote:
Thanks all, I put it on a trickle charger and it’s charging back up, stairs work again so I assume all well work when fully charged. Thanks @rk911 I also looked into the Trik-L-StRt and ordered one, that should fix my issues as I have shore power at the house. You all are the best!

Also check the water level in the batteries, this is something that is missed a lot, if you have to add make sure the charger is not on, I use distilled water and fill to the bottom of the holes. Then leave the caps off and put you charger on W for Weld ?? and cook them back up to full charge. Make sure you charger is on deep cycle and automatic and it will shut off when fully charged.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As I stated before, you need to have your battery bench tested. Odds are it's shot. If you completely discharge a battery it's pretty much ruined at that point.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This does nto apply to starting batteries as much as house.

To recharge house batteries from 50% with the proper (30% C/20) converter/charger takes something like six hours

Even with starting batteries you get to 90% very fast but that last 10 takes a while.

Also monitor system voltage. THat just got easier for me as I have a new toy and all I need do is tickle the touch screen a bit and wher eit now sayd 15:25 (That's the current timer in Greenwhich England or Cordornated Universal Time as it is now called) it will change to xx.y volts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Take the battery in for charging and testing!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BBB66
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I'm back with the same problem...The battery charged via a trickle charger. once i remove the charger it dies in a matter of an hour. Strange thing is that when i connect the battery charger it states 95% charged, but there is zero power, no dash lights, stairs dead etc..I also found my lippert slide controller is displaying a fault code 9, which states "hall power short to ground". I had warranty work done and Camping world took off the whole slide to replace some parts last summer...Could this have caused the battery to fully discharge?
I have to pick up a multimeter this week to test the battery, haven't had time yet. 😞

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
the Trik-L-Start will keep the chasis battery charged while plugged into shore power or while the genny is running...anytime the charging system for the coach batteries is active. we’ve used one for several years now.

x2 on this. I've put it on every rig and have never had my chassis battery run down.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Battery Disconnect Switch

I guarantee that will solve your problem.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
BBB66 wrote:
I start it every couple of weeks, run it to normal operating temp etc.
Mike

Mike, I think you have multiple problems. First, how long do you let it "run to normal operating temp"? If it is not for 45-60 minutes, you may be running your own battery down. Every couple of weeks is actually quite often. If there is a radio switch on the dash and it is on, this is attached to the chassis battery and adding to the draw. This is not the on/off of the radio. I always make sure my radio switch is off when not actively using the radio.

The crossover switch not working could be a solenoid, which connects the house to chassis batteries. Look at that as a different issue. If you choose to work the cross over first, then get a volt meter and test your house batteries and then the solenoid.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several posibilities.
Now I would think on a 2017 THOR woudl have used a Bi-Directional isolator. they did on my '05 Damon after all.

But this does not mean THOR used one on your Rig. And of course things can stop working.

Next is (As someone up-thread said) the "Salesman Switch" properly called the battery disconnect may be labeled "USE/STORE" on my Coach as in man others this is just inside the door. Easy to access while standing on the ground (It is on the side of the stairwell) so that a Salesman can turn it ON to demo the coach.

May be lesewhere and may be labeled Battery. AUX (And MAIN) and USE/STORE.

Press USE and listen for a CLUNK (Mine stopped clunking when I hit USE so .. Well I fixed it).

Finaly suspect.
On my Damon, which is now a THOR line. THey used the wrong )@#($)@ Terminals on teh chassis battery (positive) so they would rust after 1-3 years and not make contact any more. I'd crawl under with a load tester and some tools and the battery passed the load test with flying color (Green). Finally the battery (After 9 years) failed the test so I got a brand new DEKA.. Got very short battery cable repair pigtail with a PROPER lug as well.. That was in 2014. No problems since (5 years in a couple months). Since I now have the proper lug hooked to the battery.

What is proper? Well the battery terminal is lead. and lead to lead works. STEEL to lead corrouds and does not work for long,

Check it out. Wire brush the lug if it's rusty.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BBB66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I put it on a trickle charger and it’s charging back up, stairs work again so I assume all well work when fully charged. Thanks @rk911 I also looked into the Trik-L-StRt and ordered one, that should fix my issues as I have shore power at the house. You all are the best!

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Without a voltage check on the batteries you have no idea where to go. There must be a starting point.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
the Trik-L-Start will keep the chasis battery charged while plugged into shore power or while the genny is running...anytime the charging system for the coach batteries is active. we’ve used one for several years now.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle