cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the fence for a new TC hauler? ... new Ram looks awesome!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m not in the market as newly retired with a good truck, but if I was considering a new one, the 2019 Ram looks awesome. I was hoping they’d extend some of the improvements of the 1500 up and they did.

Oh, and now the stock torque leader at over 1000! No, manual transmissions any more.

This is a pretty comprehensive video on the changes. https://youtu.be/9x418FgnJOA

You can see the front change here.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
30 REPLIES 30

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
I require a manual transmission, so they've lost my business forever unless it comes back. I can't believe they'd give up having an exclusive market for those of us who row our own in chase of useless numbers.

Who will you be buying from then?
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
If it feels good, and you like it, and can afford it....
Do it.
You may as wll enjoy the trip while it's ongoing.
We ain't gonna be here forever Ya know!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoonDockin, think about how long before you’ll trade again. For sure, the more times you trade the more money you lose. I think a solid used truck is a good idea for most people.

My friend bought a new truck a year after I got my used truck. It’s 4 years later. Guess what the biggest difference between our trucks is he paid almost double for his and mine is more capable as a F450 compared to his F350. He does have cooled seats and a console. Both are out of warranty now. YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look serious at Dodge, but need (want bad) a truck now. Adaptive cruise is a must have unless I want to get a cheap (lol) used truck and wait a year for the new one. Then there would be three new trucks to choose from.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
And in California, a trailer over 10,000 lbs requires a CDL, unless it's an RV.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I see lots of talk from the Blue Oval owners and not bashing at that!
My crystal ball predicts some more converts to the Ram Mafia! Lol

Bottom line, the new trucks are all absolute monsters and not a d@mn thing any one of the can’t tow, whether you believe GMs low tow ratings, drink blue laid for breakfast or have a Ram mafia tattoo!
My Christmas wishlist was left a little short with the new Ram, but this is a tweener year.
With some major upgrades nonetheless.
But ditch the 4th gen body, get a trans with more cogs, eliminate EGR and for gods sake put a bigger fuel tank in them.....please.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Weight limits without CDL are state dependent.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
You have to have a CDL to even drive it with a trailer over about 18000 or 19000, the combo can’t be over 26000.

You don't have to have a CDL to drive a combo over 26k unless you are driving commercial. You can have a non-CDL license which allows you to drive over 26K.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

Call me biased, but almost 10 years since Ford did it, Dodge finally managed to make 400 HP diesel?

It’s not that they “managed” to make one, they could put the power wherever they wanted any time and so could you. Mine is 20 years old and makes more than that. All you have to do is put the right injectors, fuel system and turbos on it. 500 HP is EASY. 600 of 700 isn’t that hard, but you can’t run heavy and use all that.
400 is about the most any of these small engines should ever use under a load.
There’s a reason you don’t see Powerstroke Fords or 6.7 Cummins in big trucks that only have 400. They can run at full throttle all day uphill under a heavy load.
That would kill any pickup motor. You can only push them so hard. The Big Three can all make 600 HP pickups if they wanted to. They set them where the power is enough to compete so as to make buyers happy and low enough to hopefully hold together.

Chevy isn’t in the Ford/Dodge tow rating contest, not because they’re inferior but because they know it’s stupid. Virtually no one has a 30,000 trailer and tows it with a pickup truck. You have to have a CDL to even drive it with a trailer over about 18000 or 19000, the combo can’t be over 26000.
The vast majority of pickup drivers don’t have a CDL, and the DOT around here has been having a heyday cracking down on all the 350/450/550s loaded up heavy lately.

That’s real truck territory I don’t care what the factory says it can do.

On West Coast I see those pickups pulling 35,000 lb car haulers all the time.
Talk to one of drivers and he put 1,100,000 miles on his F350 with 7.3l engine. Don't think he was baybing it.
Also you don't need CDL when you pull 30,000 lb RV.

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Sure would make a great "Hot Shot" rig though!!
If I had it to do over again, with all this good looking equipment available, I may just have chosen that route.
But after over 30 years at it, I kind of doubt it now!!
My 1st Pete 359, cost less than these new pick-up trucks!!
Lots of them running around here pulling stock trailers.

One thing I do not like about the new Laramie Longhorn interior though, or at least the one they feature towards the end of that you tube clip, is the light colored seat leather.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Call me biased, but almost 10 years since Ford did it, Dodge finally managed to make 400 HP diesel?

It’s not that they “managed” to make one, they could put the power wherever they wanted any time and so could you. Mine is 20 years old and makes more than that. All you have to do is put the right injectors, fuel system and turbos on it. 500 HP is EASY. 600 of 700 isn’t that hard, but you can’t run heavy and use all that.
400 is about the most any of these small engines should ever use under a load.
There’s a reason you don’t see Powerstroke Fords or 6.7 Cummins in big trucks that only have 400. They can run at full throttle all day uphill under a heavy load.
That would kill any pickup motor. You can only push them so hard. The Big Three can all make 600 HP pickups if they wanted to. They set them where the power is enough to compete so as to make buyers happy and low enough to hopefully hold together.

Chevy isn’t in the Ford/Dodge tow rating contest, not because they’re inferior but because they know it’s stupid. Virtually no one has a 30,000 trailer and tows it with a pickup truck. You have to have a CDL to even drive it with a trailer over about 18000 or 19000, the combo can’t be over 26000.
The vast majority of pickup drivers don’t have a CDL, and the DOT around here has been having a heyday cracking down on all the 350/450/550s loaded up heavy lately.

That’s real truck territory I don’t care what the factory says it can do.

Hot shot truckers use one tons but most of them are trying to stay under 26000.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
The interiors are very nice.
And the Cummins...is welll...a Cummins. Can’t diss that.

But that front end? Looks just like the yota!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I'd kinda like to see real air suspension - at least optional - in these trucks. They have enough power, it's mostly specsmanship at this point anyway. Keep your foot on that 1000 ft-lbs for more that a couple of minutes and the computer will take it away.

By air suspension, I mean real air suspension, not factory installed aftermarket air bags.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I require a manual transmission, so they've lost my business forever unless it comes back. I can't believe they'd give up having an exclusive market for those of us who row our own in chase of useless numbers.