Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: On the fence for a new TC hauler? ... new Ram looks awesome!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On the fence for a new TC hauler? ... new Ram looks awesome!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

And for those of us who are satisfied with the 6.4 Hemi, they upgraded to an 8 speed transmission moving direct drive to 6th. Which version of the ZF 8HP is yet to be seen, but I've read about it to know I like what I see so far.

On the diesel front, wish they would quit going for the torque king and start worrying about mpg. I would much rather have a 600 ft-lb of torque with 20-40% better fuel economy than the 1000 ft-lb.

I read somewhere it was 8HP75 from ZF...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I read somewhere it was 8HP75 from ZF...

I found where that is the one available in the 1500 but the biggest engine in the 1500 is the 5.7 which is only rated at 400 lb-ft. While the 8HP75 is rated for 750 N-M (553 lb-ft) when the 6.4 engine is only rated at 429 lb-ft, was hoping to see them go with the 8HP95 which is rated for 900 N-M (663 lb-ft) for a little extra margin.

Torque ratings for the transmission comes from Wikipedia

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PickupTrucks.com Review

Well they finally did it. 1000 ft/lbs of torque in an OEM truck. That’s an impressive vehicle overall.

I think the cost difference between brands is going to be a lot smaller going forward.

I also think they’re going to put a serious dent in the world supply of chrome with the new front design [emoticon]

I agree with the author, good riddance to the “nostrils” look.

Still not crazy about the dually bed styling. Having the fenders blended into the entire length is unattractive to my eye, and unwanted functionally.

Integrating computer controlled shutters into the grill is a nice feature.

I’ll be interested to read how that automatic emergency braking works.

Max GVWR is 14K, so my biggest question is: will I be able load my truck camper and gear (that at times weighs as much as 6500 lbs) on that truck with the Diesel engine and not “overload” the poor thing? If not, I may as well keep my F450. *sarc* [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either one. They are both the worst investment you can make.

Dennis Hoppert

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Max GVWR is 14K, so my biggest question is: will I be able load my truck camper and gear (that at times weighs as much as 6500 lbs) on that truck with the Diesel engine and not “overload” the poor thing? If not, I may as well keep my F450. *sarc* [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Unless you go with a Class 4 or larger chassis cab, you will most likely be overloaded per the tags. Even the F450/4500 16.5K lb GVWR would be at maximum once you load 6500 lbs of camper...

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Unless you go with a Class 4 or larger chassis cab, you will most likely be overloaded per the tags. Even the F450/4500 16.5K lb GVWR would be at maximum once you load 6500 lbs of camper...

That’s been my assumption for several years now. As long as the mfgr’s insist on artificially constraining the F450/4500 pickups to the class three rating, then a heavy TC is going to exceed the load rating. I think they’re doing that intentionally to keep the F450/4500 pickups from “stealing sales” from the C&C trucks.

Dennis12 wrote:

Either one. They are both the worst investment you can make.

Har! I don’t invest in trucks. None of them tend to appreciate. [emoticon]

Maybe you were being sarcastic, as was I. I pretty much ignore the phony GVWR on my truck, and I believe I would on the new Ram as well. I would have no reservations about loading either truck up to the weight limit of the rear tires or axle, whichever you hit first. IMHO, a class 4 or 5 cab and chassis just isn’t needed to haul a truck camper. Towing heavy while hauling a heavy TC is a different story, but I don’t do that.

I hauled my TC on three trucks and this one is by far the best. It’s nowhere near the limit of its true capabilities doing what I’m doing with it.

[emoticon][emoticon]

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laramie longhorn for me!!
Bring it on!!
What's my trade worth, 2015 L/L loaded w/42000 original one owner miles.

I can dream, can't I!!!

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I require a manual transmission, so they've lost my business forever unless it comes back. I can't believe they'd give up having an exclusive market for those of us who row our own in chase of useless numbers.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd kinda like to see real air suspension - at least optional - in these trucks. They have enough power, it's mostly specsmanship at this point anyway. Keep your foot on that 1000 ft-lbs for more that a couple of minutes and the computer will take it away.

By air suspension, I mean real air suspension, not factory installed aftermarket air bags.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The interiors are very nice.
And the Cummins...is welll...a Cummins. Can’t diss that.

But that front end? Looks just like the yota!
[image]

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On the fence for a new TC hauler? ... new Ram looks awesome!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.