cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you like your 2019 RAM 1500?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone own the new 2019 RAM 1500? If so how do you like it? Has it had any issues?

Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jvandererlip wrote:
I found this interesting thread in another forum. It's about the 2017 eco diesel RAM air suspension. A guy tested his to see when the air suspension would start throwing error messages.
Couldn't get off road 2 at 600 lbs over and it wasn't until 850 lbs over before it quit leveling.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-suspension-chassis/2481-air-suspension-limits.html#/topics/2481?page=3

Thanks, I have been wondering how they handle gross overloads.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jvandererlip wrote:
I hit the CAT scales and my estimate of being slightly over the GVWR was correct. I'm 180 lbs over but below the axle weights by a good margin. That's with a full tank of gas. In the bed of the truck is a generator, two folding bikes and spare fuel. Rear axle weight is 3880 (4100 lb limit) Front is 3400 (3900 limit) brings me to 7280(7100 limit) Trailer axle is 5560.
I'm fine with those weights. That's even lighter than I had hoped on the rear axle so as far as I'm concerned it's a perfect setup.

Sounds good to me. I have always wondered why GVWR would be less than the combined axle limits and assumed that it must be a cooling issue with the transmission or brakes. Or maybe it is just to give you some flexibility in where you put the weight. Whatever, you are only about 1.5% over and that is with a full tank of gas. I feel sure that there are a lot of vehicles on the road more overloaded than that with drivers that are blissfully unaware of what they are doing. With the care that you have taken so far I am certain that you will make adjustments in your driving to stay safe.

Jvandererlip
Explorer
Explorer
I hit the CAT scales and my estimate of being slightly over the GVWR was correct. I'm 180 lbs over but below the axle weights by a good margin. That's with a full tank of gas. In the bed of the truck is a generator, two folding bikes and spare fuel. Rear axle weight is 3880 (4100 lb limit) Front is 3400 (3900 limit) brings me to 7280(7100 limit) Trailer axle is 5560.
I'm fine with those weights. That's even lighter than I had hoped on the rear axle so as far as I'm concerned it's a perfect setup.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im betting if you bide your time a bit longer, that dealer with the 2017 will call.... maybe.

I agree they are testing as you describe, but those weights (150 lb occupants and hitch etc) come of the test vehicle's payload. As your copy/paste states. Payload and GAWR must account for all the test weights. So it's not counting twice. I counted it off the payload, and the description above also counted it off payload. So, either way it comes off payload, so you have to account for it.

I don't think anyone is upset.

Stick to your guns on that 2017.. they will come around.

Mike

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Beer Brewer
It's not hard to understand. J2807 is a testing standard for determining tow vehicle GCWR and Trailer Weight rating. It is NOT a methodology for determining payload!. It tests to max payload capacity, and uses the items you describe (and others) to determine tow rating, but that does NOT change the payload of a vehicle.

You cannot say because the J2807 standard tests with 300 lbs of passenger and 100 lbs of tow equipment, that the payload of a vehicle magically is increased by 400 lbs.

In fact, the word payload doesn't even appear anywhere in the doc you referenced.

Mike

Mike...All I'm saying is when the SAE runs a pick-up through their tests, they do so with a 150 lb driver, 150 passenger and 100 lbs of misc weight in the truck. So there is no need to add these weights again. Ram has the following statement on all of their Trailer Towing charts to inform the readers how the trucks were tested, so if they are carrying more driver and passenger weight or cargo, then stated that they need to factor the additional weight in.

7. Trailer Weight Rating and Tow Vehicle Trailering Weight are calculated as specified in SAE J2807.
Passenger Weight = 300 lb
Options Weight = 100 lb
Tongue weight: 10 percent of the gross trailer weight for Conventional Hitch, 15 percent of the gross trailer weight for 5th Wheel or Gooseneck hitch.
Trailering Equipment Weight: 75 lb for Conventional Hitch, 70 lb for Gooseneck and 250 lb for 5th Wheel.
Payload and GAWR should never be exceeded and must account for all of the above weights, including the appropriate trailering equipment and tongue weight.
Box Off Body Completion Weight = 80 lb per foot from end of cab to end of frame.

I didn't mean to get into a long debate or get anyone upset over this. Lastly I also agree with you that it probably isn't smart getting so close to a trucks capacity that you need to worry about a couple hundred pounds. For instance I was seriously considering purchasing a new 2019 RAM 1500 to pull a 8000 lb trailer. It's a real nice truck but I when started running the numbers I could see myself betting getting real close to max payload of the truck even though I was below what the spec says it can tow. It was just too close for comfort, so I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase a 2018 RAM 2500. My only decision left was between a gas or diesel engine...I am leaning towards the diesel.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Jvandererlip wrote:
Fortunately the bikes are folding bikes and can fit in the aft cargo bay further reducing tongue weight. I'll load it with the bikes in the bed initially and get weighed. The suspension will error out if I overload too much. I think I'll be good. I'm pretty sure I can avoid buying a 2500 since my Infiniti towed this beautifully.

If you're concerned about staying under limits, every modification help.

Put as much gear in the trailer as you can, only passengers in the truck. Then remove the tailgate and put the spare in the trailer - those 2 items alone can be 150 lbs, and more importantly, 150+ lbs off the rear axle.

Can even go as far as relocating the propane tanks and batteries to the middle of the trailer. But be careful, as you reduce tongue, you'll want a better anti-sway system.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beer Brewer
It's not hard to understand. J2807 is a testing standard for determining tow vehicle GCWR and Trailer Weight rating. It is NOT a methodology for determining payload!. It tests to max payload capacity, and uses the items you describe (and others) to determine tow rating, but that does NOT change the payload of a vehicle.

You cannot say because the J2807 standard tests with 300 lbs of passenger and 100 lbs of tow equipment, that the payload of a vehicle magically is increased by 400 lbs.

In fact, the word payload doesn't even appear anywhere in the doc you referenced.

Mike

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I believe the 2018 RAM is the same so you may want to hear from those folks as well.

The 2019 is a 5th Gen truck and the 4th Gen 2018 that is still being sold but as a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. You can also buy a 2018 Ram 1500 with the Ecodiesel option.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Below is a link to the actual spec. It goes into great detail on what is inclued and what is not. See Section 3.2 TOW-VEHICLE TRAILERING WEIGHT (TVTW)

http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/tow-test-standards-2016-02.pdf

Jvandererlip
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that you are correct. The payload assumes an empty vehicle with the exception of fluids which includes a full tank of gas.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's my understanding (albeit I could be wrong) that J2807 is a testing standard that tests towing capacity and GCWR. I do not believe it replaces the calculated payload, but the test ensures the test vehicles are loaded to payload capacity.

"In a nutshell, SAE J2807 requires the vehicle manufacturer to use a vehicle equipped with the popular options found on at least 33 percent of the vehicles sold for that model; they also must run the test procedures with the equivalent of a 150-pound driver and passenger. The truck is hitched in a specific manner to a trailer that meets SAE specs and puts the tow vehicle (the pickup truck) at its maximum gross combined weight rating, meaning the combined weight of the pickup, its maximum payload, full fuel tank and the weight of the trailer."

Now, I agree in the total calculation to test to the standard, it takes into consideration the items you mention, but I do NOT believe the payload calculation assumes 300 lbs for passenger/driver and the hitch. In fact the payload sticker clearly states combined weight of all occupants and cargo should not exceed "x"

I may be a tad agressive on the 14% TW calculation, but I also made an assumption that TT is midway between dry and GVWR. May or may not be a valid estimate.

That being said, Im not one to quibble. It's worth knowing your weights and how they affect your setup. At least then you can make informed decisions on how to adjust accordingly.

Mike

Jvandererlip
Explorer
Explorer
I found this interesting thread in another forum. It's about the 2017 eco diesel RAM air suspension. A guy tested his to see when the air suspension would start throwing error messages.
Couldn't get off road 2 at 600 lbs over and it wasn't until 850 lbs over before it quit leveling.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-suspension-chassis/2481-air-suspension-limits.html#/topics/2481?page=3

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Jvandererlip wrote:
I think you're being a bit aggressive on the tongue weight. I figured about 700 on the tongue and the bikes are 100 lbs. The WD hitch should put a bit back on the trailer axle. Axle weights on the truck are higher combined (4100 RAWR and 3800 FAWR 7100 GVW) I definitely won't exceed the axle rating either. I figure maybe 200 over on the GVW but well below in every other category.

Careful, truck will most certainly explode and cause mass carnage on the highway.

/weight police
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB