cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

propane quick connect

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
I have had on my previous RV's the quick connect propane line from the propane tank/tanks. I tried one once for my grill and it did't work. I was told I needed a different regulator because the regulators on the RV's are different than on my grill. Coleman Road Trip grill. At the time I would have to run a separate line from the splitter at the tank and put on a different regulator just for my grill. Anyway, the RV's come with this item but I don't use them. I am the one who recently posted a critter problem on chewing. Well this is the line that has been chewed. Now I am wondering if everyone else uses this or gets their own separate propane tank for their grill. That is what I have been doing. I am just wondering if I should bother to replace that line that the critters have chewed through. It is just the line from the tank to the quick connect. I just wonder if that would be a tipping point when I would decide to get rid of the RV? I just like hearing what other people have to say, helps to get other opinions.
Thanks,
Bill
10 REPLIES 10

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
You might be having problems because some LP systems use liquid and some use vapor.
Liquid supply picks up from bottom and vapor from top of tank.
Forklifts use liquid LP and the tank needs to be indexed in the mounting bracket to work.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
3Fivers51 wrote:
In reference to bob213's reply, I had to check again what I had written in my post. Yes I plan to either replace the line or just remove the line and have it capped. From what I have read so far is that the industry still does not seem to have a product that works correctly. The thing is that the RV manufacturers want you to buy the grills from them and they probably work with the quick connect. I just don't it is worth all the extra time trying to get the grill you want to work with the quick connect that the industry puts on these RV's. Thanks for everyone's responses so far!!!

Thanks,
Bill

Which grill will work with your quick connect depends on where the quick connect line is connected/plumbed into the main tank supply. If it's between the main valve and the RV appliance regulator you need a grill with a regulator because you're getting full pressure propane from the main tank. If the quick connect is plumbed after the RV appliance regulator you want a grill that doesn't have a regulator or find a way around it. It won't work well because you're double regulating the propane pressure.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
In reference to bob213's reply, I had to check again what I had written in my post. Yes I plan to either replace the line or just remove the line and have it capped. From what I have read so far is that the industry still does not seem to have a product that works correctly. The thing is that the RV manufacturers want you to buy the grills from them and they probably work with the quick connect. I just don't it is worth all the extra time trying to get the grill you want to work with the quick connect that the industry puts on these RV's. Thanks for everyone's responses so far!!!

Thanks,
Bill

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Conversion for Coleman here:
adapter

Just wondering.... Isn't the quick connect line going to be leaking propane when you turn your valve on if you don't repair it?

That would be my guess. Very quickly if the quick connect line is plumbed between the main valve the appliance regulator, and more slowly if plumbed between the appliance regulator and the appliances.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Conversion for Coleman here:
adapter

Just wondering.... Isn't the quick connect line going to be leaking propane when you turn your valve on if you don't repair it?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
naturist wrote:
(1) you need to know that there are at least 2 incompatible propane quick-connect systems that have been used on RVs. They LOOK identical, but are just enough different (no doubt by thousandths of an inch) that they will not work, one with another.

(2) I don't buy the "wrong regulator" business. It's nonsense as far as I can tell.

(3) I use the propane quick connect on my TT with my portable grill. I had to buy both of the two disconnect plugs to find the right one and return the one that didn't work to get it right, but my grill works perfectly. It IS true that there are single stage as well as two-stage regulators, but as far as those being incompatible, nope. they all seem to regulate the pressure to the same level, it's just in how it is done.

Great post and 100% correct on every point.
Also keep in mind that you cannot have two regulators in the "cicuit". So if your BBQ, etc, has its own regulator, you have to remove it.
Or, tap onto the rv line BEFORE the rv regulator.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
naturist wrote:
(1) you need to know that there are at least 2 incompatible propane quick-connect systems that have been used on RVs. They LOOK identical, but are just enough different (no doubt by thousandths of an inch) that they will not work, one with another.

(2) I don't buy the "wrong regulator" business. It's nonsense as far as I can tell.

(3) I use the propane quick connect on my TT with my portable grill. I had to buy both of the two disconnect plugs to find the right one and return the one that didn't work to get it right, but my grill works perfectly. It IS true that there are single stage as well as two-stage regulators, but as far as those being incompatible, nope. they all seem to regulate the pressure to the same level, it's just in how it is done.

Great post and 100% correct on every point.
Also keep in mind that you cannot have two regulators in the "cicuit". So if your BBQ, etc, has its own regulator, you have to remove it.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad