Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: propane quick connect
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > propane quick connect

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
3Fivers51

Litchfield

New Member

Joined: 01/24/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/15/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had on my previous RV's the quick connect propane line from the propane tank/tanks. I tried one once for my grill and it did't work. I was told I needed a different regulator because the regulators on the RV's are different than on my grill. Coleman Road Trip grill. At the time I would have to run a separate line from the splitter at the tank and put on a different regulator just for my grill. Anyway, the RV's come with this item but I don't use them. I am the one who recently posted a critter problem on chewing. Well this is the line that has been chewed. Now I am wondering if everyone else uses this or gets their own separate propane tank for their grill. That is what I have been doing. I am just wondering if I should bother to replace that line that the critters have chewed through. It is just the line from the tank to the quick connect. I just wonder if that would be a tipping point when I would decide to get rid of the RV? I just like hearing what other people have to say, helps to get other opinions.
Thanks,
Bill

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/15/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(1) you need to know that there are at least 2 incompatible propane quick-connect systems that have been used on RVs. They LOOK identical, but are just enough different (no doubt by thousandths of an inch) that they will not work, one with another.

(2) I don't buy the "wrong regulator" business. It's nonsense as far as I can tell.

(3) I use the propane quick connect on my TT with my portable grill. I had to buy both of the two disconnect plugs to find the right one and return the one that didn't work to get it right, but my grill works perfectly. It IS true that there are single stage as well as two-stage regulators, but as far as those being incompatible, nope. they all seem to regulate the pressure to the same level, it's just in how it is done.





ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

(1) you need to know that there are at least 2 incompatible propane quick-connect systems that have been used on RVs. They LOOK identical, but are just enough different (no doubt by thousandths of an inch) that they will not work, one with another.

(2) I don't buy the "wrong regulator" business. It's nonsense as far as I can tell.

(3) I use the propane quick connect on my TT with my portable grill. I had to buy both of the two disconnect plugs to find the right one and return the one that didn't work to get it right, but my grill works perfectly. It IS true that there are single stage as well as two-stage regulators, but as far as those being incompatible, nope. they all seem to regulate the pressure to the same level, it's just in how it is done.


Great post and 100% correct on every point.
Also keep in mind that you cannot have two regulators in the "cicuit". So if your BBQ, etc, has its own regulator, you have to remove it.


Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/15/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

naturist wrote:

(1) you need to know that there are at least 2 incompatible propane quick-connect systems that have been used on RVs. They LOOK identical, but are just enough different (no doubt by thousandths of an inch) that they will not work, one with another.

(2) I don't buy the "wrong regulator" business. It's nonsense as far as I can tell.

(3) I use the propane quick connect on my TT with my portable grill. I had to buy both of the two disconnect plugs to find the right one and return the one that didn't work to get it right, but my grill works perfectly. It IS true that there are single stage as well as two-stage regulators, but as far as those being incompatible, nope. they all seem to regulate the pressure to the same level, it's just in how it is done.


Great post and 100% correct on every point.
Also keep in mind that you cannot have two regulators in the "cicuit". So if your BBQ, etc, has its own regulator, you have to remove it.
Or, tap onto the rv line BEFORE the rv regulator.


2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel


bob213

Fresno, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/15/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Conversion for Coleman here:
adapter

Just wondering.... Isn't the quick connect line going to be leaking propane when you turn your valve on if you don't repair it?


You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand


MDKMDK

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Conversion for Coleman here:
adapter

Just wondering.... Isn't the quick connect line going to be leaking propane when you turn your valve on if you don't repair it?


That would be my guess. Very quickly if the quick connect line is plumbed between the main valve the appliance regulator, and more slowly if plumbed between the appliance regulator and the appliances.


Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 10/10/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/15/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 07:36pm by DutchmenSport *

3Fivers51

Litchfield

New Member

Joined: 01/24/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/15/19 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In reference to bob213's reply, I had to check again what I had written in my post. Yes I plan to either replace the line or just remove the line and have it capped. From what I have read so far is that the industry still does not seem to have a product that works correctly. The thing is that the RV manufacturers want you to buy the grills from them and they probably work with the quick connect. I just don't it is worth all the extra time trying to get the grill you want to work with the quick connect that the industry puts on these RV's. Thanks for everyone's responses so far!!!

Thanks,
Bill

MDKMDK

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 01/15/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3Fivers51 wrote:

In reference to bob213's reply, I had to check again what I had written in my post. Yes I plan to either replace the line or just remove the line and have it capped. From what I have read so far is that the industry still does not seem to have a product that works correctly. The thing is that the RV manufacturers want you to buy the grills from them and they probably work with the quick connect. I just don't it is worth all the extra time trying to get the grill you want to work with the quick connect that the industry puts on these RV's. Thanks for everyone's responses so far!!!

Thanks,
Bill

Which grill will work with your quick connect depends on where the quick connect line is connected/plumbed into the main tank supply. If it's between the main valve and the RV appliance regulator you need a grill with a regulator because you're getting full pressure propane from the main tank. If the quick connect is plumbed after the RV appliance regulator you want a grill that doesn't have a regulator or find a way around it. It won't work well because you're double regulating the propane pressure.

Stim

NE Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/23/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/15/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be having problems because some LP systems use liquid and some use vapor.
Liquid supply picks up from bottom and vapor from top of tank.
Forklifts use liquid LP and the tank needs to be indexed in the mounting bracket to work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > propane quick connect
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS