cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Service trailer brake system" on 2016 GMC

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a 2016 GMC 3500, 6.0 gas job with 57K miles.
Constantly now my computer screen beeps "Service Trailer Brake System", even when no trailer is hooked to truck..
took to my local trailer guy, he checked my plug port where trailer lights plug in, and we checked all fuses. he said neither is the problem.
he says its either the factory built trailer brake controller that was built in dash, or the "Module" that is up under the spare tire. Anyone ever have this issue?
He said it would be a guessing game for him. I hate to take it to the stealership for diagnosis though....
10 REPLIES 10

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the update, i care about them.

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not that anyone cares lol, but I figured I would update this post incase someone searches this in the future.
I ended up trying out the cheapest and easiest part to replace, bascially throwing parts at it, and bam it worked. My factory trailer brake controller was the problem. I had one sent via Amazon, $43 later changed it out and works like new. No more stupid computer telling me to service trailer brake system. I love my GMC's, but kinda crazy the factory brake controller went bad on a 3 year old truck with 57k miles. O well, could be worse

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Pressure transducer failed on my 2009 back in about 2011.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Had that problem on my 08. Controller replaced under warranty.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a bit of road salt corrosion happening causing electrical gremlins to surface.

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like2build- wish it was, just this year GMC was 3 years 36000 miles, which is kinda a joke.

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
Friends truck had same issue, was the ground on the module up by spare tire. Itโ€™s not expensive to just replace it.
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
My 08 was doing that this Winter first time I had seen it before. Moisture or issue at the rear plug is cause.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Are you not under warranty? If you are I'd take it to the dealer and let them sort out the issue.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would take apart the connectors behind the bumper and make sure none have moisture in them. Assuming there isn't a failure with the brake controller, it's seeing a connection to the brake actuating wire at the trailer connector. That could be moisture, rodent damage, etc.