Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Gasser Handling - Specific Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser Handling - Specific Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 03:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a specific question regarding improving the handling on my 33' National SeaBreeze. I realize there have been many threads on this topic (I've participated in some of them) but I've not seen this discussed. The MH is 33', 208" wheelbase, F-53 chassis. I've done the CHF, have a steering stabilizer, and added a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar. Firestone airbags as well, and run the "correct" tire pressures based on the MH weight (actually weighed). All this improved the handling greatly, and pretty much eliminated the wandering.

So the question - is there any additional improvement to be had adding the Hellwig front anti-sway bar, or have I reached the point of diminishing returns? I would say at this point I've gone from many butt-puckering moments to maybe 2 or 3 over a 300 mile day, as most larger trucks no longer push me around like before. To put a number on it I'd say everything has improved 70-80%. As an aside, I've found that running the driver side air bags at 30psi, and the passenger side at 45-50psi also helped tame the "push" and improved stability.

Thoughts?

Al

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people, including myself, have had good results from using AirTabs to help stabilize the coach and minimize and push from trucks. There are several users who may post their actual experiences on here with AirTabs as well as several non-users who will post their opinions. For me, the cost for the AirTabs was about the cost of a tank of fuel.
I did also have air bags and on windy days or smooth highways, I ran the pressure up to around 80 psi.
I never saw any need to add a track bar or additional anti-sway bars on my Workhorse chassis.

* This post was edited 01/16/19 05:43am by rgatijnet1 *

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why no rear track or pan head bar?

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add a Davis Tru Trac.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Track bar, new shocks (Bilstein or Koni)

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something that seemed to help on my bosses 36 foot F53 Fleetwood Discovery was minimizing the amount of weight stored behind the rear axle. We never scaled it before and after to be sure, but There were times when the rear most storage compartments on the outside were absolutely stuffed full of cases of water bottles and beer. On subsequent trips we moved them more toward the midpoint of the wheel base, and used the rear storage compartments for bulky light items like fishing poles, sleeping bags, bundles of paper towels, etc.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

phnguyk

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air Tabs, LOL.
Rear track bar is what you want to look into.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, while I appreciate everyone's responses, I guess I'm just not being clear here. I've already listed what I've done (and am not going to change what's been done), and I'm just asking if a larger front anti-sway bar would be worth doing. I'm not asking what to do to help my handling (although the air tabs look interesting), there has just never been discussion that I've seen that would or would not justify spending the money on a larger front anti-sway bar. Stock front bar is 1" with rubber bushings. The Hellwig is 1.75" with poly bushings. So has anyone actually changed out their front anti-sway bar and seen an appreciable improvement?

FYI - Shocks and rear sway bar are new and our rear storage (good point @All I could afford) is minimal.

Al

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What handling characteristics are you hoping to improve?

My thinking is that more front sway is always better but you’re improving lean on curves.
Not stability from crosswinds or trucks passing.

The rear panhard rod (Davis Tru Trac being a brand) will make a huge improvement in stopping the tail wagging the dog when wind pushes the rear over hang.

Something we did back in my early years amateur auto cross racing with low budget is take another stock sway bar and simply clamp it to the existing sway bar. It worked.

stripit

Prescott

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also did the CHF to the front end, weighed the rig and adjusted the tire pressures. A bit better but not to my liking. Added a rear panhard bar and THAT made a huge difference in the way it felt when driving in winds or being passed by semi trucks. No more fighting the steering wheel trying to go straight down the road.

Stacey Frank
2018 Holiday Rambler Admiral XE 31A
SMI Braking system
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser Handling - Specific Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS