Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: ? Cooking While Traveling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> ? Cooking While Traveling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I almost feel like an ignoramus asking, but I've been wondering for years: In any of the motorhome types does anyone do any cooking while rolling down the road? I don't mean making a multi-course meal in open pots & pans. I'm thinking something like a slow cooker, crock pot or (what's that thing called "Quick Pot" or something like that). I don't think I or DW would ever do it when rolling but I've always wondered.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a class A or C or B, seems why not write with a slow cooker. You could set it in the sink or a metal tub on the floor so it wouldn't risk tipping or spilling over everything.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

I almost feel like an ignoramus asking, but I've been wondering for years: In any of the motorhome types does anyone do any cooking while rolling down the road? I don't mean making a multi-course meal in open pots & pans. I'm thinking something like a slow cooker, crock pot or (what's that thing called "Quick Pot" or something like that). I don't think I or DW would ever do it when rolling but I've always wondered.

Some talk about doing it. Personally I don't think it's a good idea, especially if another vehicle runs into you and everything goes flying so we've never done that. Most mh have a microwave so when we stop, we can always nuke our make ahead OTR meals. Much safer than hot liquid flying from a crock pot during a sudden stop.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Helimech

Chino Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've cooked in the crock pot in the past. Set the Crock in the sink and it stays. Nice to have a hot meal ready when we arrive.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We plan our meals for ease of prep or reheat when we arrive at our destination. I don't think we've ever thought a crock pot or other warmer made sense since our tastes for a travel day's meal can be met pretty easily.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Helimech wrote:

We've cooked in the crock pot in the past. Set the Crock in the sink and it stays. Nice to have a hot meal ready when we arrive.

x2 for this ... often my first or last day of an expedition I'll set up the crock. I run mine off my whole-house inverter, it's only a few 100 watts so no big deal power wise. Great to have a meal mostly done when I stop driving for the day.

I have a travel trailer, so I'm not smelling food the entire time I'm driving. Might be a challenge for folks with motorhomes, the sirens call of dinner.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was young, in the wild late-70s and '80s, my mom would make lunch and cook while traveling down I-95 on our annual trek from NJ to Florida. Heck my dad and uncle would switch driving while we were moving - set the cruise and change seats. Don't try this at home, kids.

Fast forward to 2019 where everyone has an opinion and everyone else is offended by it, yeah I'd keep a crock pot going on a long trip as long as it was secured to keep food from spilling everywhere. As far as flying around in an accident - it would just be one of dozens of things flying at me. I'd like to think "Man Killed by Flying Crock Pot" would amuse a lot of people and I'd rest happily.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I've done coffee, slow cooker, and roasted electrically as I trundle down the road.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have cold beer in the refrigerator. Why not a hot meal in the crock pot [emoticon]

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

You have cold beer in the refrigerator. Why not a hot meal in the crock pot [emoticon]

Goodness, some wag might point out that if you have cold beer, what else could you possibly want?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> ? Cooking While Traveling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS