Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: California Firearm Compliance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> California Firearm Compliance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
GoHorns

McKinney, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a license to carry a handgun issued by the State of Texas. For the most part, all states recognize this license... However, California does not. What do I need to do when entering California to comply with the state laws regarding a handgun in my possession (either in the tow vehicle or in the camper).

TIA.....

2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found THIS SITE helpful in my initial answering of the state-by-state status. If I read it correctly, it seems that California honors Texas.

ON EDIT: It has been a while since I visited that site. Texas honors California, not the other way.

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Believe it best that you contact California officials directly rather than depend on advice from forum users; However an option would be LEO people who respond to your post or an organization such as NRA.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well any hand gun with a magazine larger than 10 rounds is not allowed.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Trailblazer87

Central California

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In CA transportation of a handgun must be done with the gun unloaded in a locked container, your glove box does not count. Long guns must be in a case designed to carry firearms, but not required to lock them, and must be unloaded during transportation. No magazines over 10 rounds, to possess is a felony. Once you are parked the firearms must not be accessible by anyone under the age of 16, but you can have them out and loaded.

No SBR's, full auto or suppressors.

CA does consider your RV your home and we do have a castle law with no duty to retreat.

Now the real question is, what county are going to be in? The coastal counties can be very unfriendly towards firearms vs the central counties being, for the most part, rather libertarian towards them.

Do not carry without a CCW issued by a county sheriff, and really, your not going to be able to get one.

You can try contacting the DOJ but they are notorious for being unresponsive and unwilling to actually answer any questions when you do get ahold of them.

2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your ammo and guns separate, gun in a locked case and stored away from vehicle occupants accessiblity. Make sure the gun and magazines are legal in California to possess, there's special laws about which guns and magazine capacity.

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are traveling from a location where you are legal to have the firearm to another location where you are legal to have the firearm you're allowed to travel through the state with the firearm unloaded and stored in a place not easily accessible while you're travel. A big question mark in my mind has to do with any stays in CA. It's a big state but I'm not clear on whether under federal law that governs transportation if you'd be covered if you happen to stay overnight. I read about folks that have gotten arrest in states where they were traveling through, had their trip interrupted, ending up staying overnight and got arrest for illegal possession of a firearm.

Trailblazer87

Central California

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=349

The best resource I can think of is Calguns.

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most LEOs, like myself, will not tell you whether or not your CCW covers you in a specific state. That is your responsibility to look up yourself as a CCW carrier. While the members of this forum are being helpful, stating you learned this on an Internet Forum to a Peace Officer or in a court of law . . . well you can draw your own conclusion. Getting a link and researching it yourself is the proper way for all CCW carriers when traveling through states and countries other than the issuing CCW state/county.

b

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/19 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My best advice is DO NOT DO IT.
But if you must.. Contact the NRA. they keep all sorts of resources for folks who want to go against my advice.

NOTE: I"m not a lawyer. My advice is thus not legal advice.. It is simply the easiest way to avoid a problem.. If you don't do it. You CAN NOT get in trouble for doing it .

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> California Firearm Compliance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS