cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at a 2016 Monaco Safari Trek 26MH

vcb49
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of purchasing my first class A motor home. I have been looking at a 2016 Monaco Safari Trek 26MH. Any advise, pro or cons?
12 REPLIES 12

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Class As are nice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful regarding camp host duties and compensation or you can be working for nothing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

vcb49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, lots to consider and think about. I like the floor plan of the Safari Trek, I have also been looking at the Coachmen Leprechaun 240FS. It is a C-class, I am retiring at the end of the year and plan on being a camp host while I still can. So meany changes, so much to think about. Thanks Again.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The 2016 Trek is a dog

Nothing like the Treks of old. Dealer's could not sell them
Stay away

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Neighbor had a Trek, maybe a little longer than 26'. Due to short wheel base, narrow track and long overhang, it had a tendency to wander. Driving it was tiresome as he had to always fight it to stay in his lane. He did all the bolt-on fixes with poor results. He sold it for just that reason. Well built coach otherwise. Make sure you take it on the freeway when test driving.

His was around 2008 vintage, maybe things improved.

I had a 2009 Trek.....workhorse Chassis. It wandered from day one. I finally installed a Steer-Safe steering stabilizer and it was like going from night to day. End result, solid straight steering ...even with one finger. Really liked that Trek but after five years got tired of having to lose the living room whoever we wanted to put the bed down.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor had a Trek, maybe a little longer than 26'. Due to short wheel base, narrow track and long overhang, it had a tendency to wander. Driving it was tiresome as he had to always fight it to stay in his lane. He did all the bolt-on fixes with poor results. He sold it for just that reason. Well built coach otherwise. Make sure you take it on the freeway when test driving.

His was around 2008 vintage, maybe things improved.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The "NEW" Trek was never received as expected and production soon ceased. Monaco went to the Trek Trax website for suggestions from current and previous Trek owners on manufacturing needs for the new Trek but those suggestion were not heeded. Monaco went ahead with production on what they thought consumers wanted. They were wrong and production was stopped for lack of sales.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Was 2016 the last year for the Trek revival? I can't find anything about them on line after that. Was it a limited run? Not that it would make a difference to the OP unless there are specific body parts you might need - just curious. Seems to have been re-produced only to have been discontinued again.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to this website and ask all of the questions that you can think of. The "new" Treks are nothing like the original Treks but that does not make them bad RV's. Trek Trax

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion the last real Trek was built in 2002/2003. When Monaco bought Safari and continued the Trek production, it became more like other Monaco products instead of the original Trek . However the Monaco built Treks were still pretty good and unique product, too. We owned 2009 Trek. Again, in my opinion, the last Trek was built in 2009. Monaco declared bankruptcy after about 35 2009 Treks were built. All subsequent Motorhomes that the new owner of the Monaco name has built are just a shadow of the real Trek. Shame they are trying to market these products as โ€˜ Treks โ€˜.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I found one on RVT. It looks like they preserved the drop down bed in the front of the coach which was a feature of the original Safari Trek built by SMC in the 1990s. The original Trek was build on an Izusu diesel truck chassis. Safari was bought out by Monaco in 2004. The newer Treks appear to be on the F53 Ford chassis.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Get a pro inspection. IF still financed by private owner, it will be difficult to get a reasonable deal. Thatโ€™s my advice!